Administration and Legal Requirements For kit built aircraft?

Guest sunfish

Guest sunfish

I've been trying without success to get authoritative answers to Two questions before I can decide whether to build an LSA aircraft from a kit.

1. I understand that CASA does not permit flight over built up areas in kit built LSA aircraft without authorisation.

Exactly how is this authorisation given? Is it hard to get? Is it automatic? Is it related in some way to the aircraft and engine type? Does it cost money? Does it require special equipment/paperwork or whatever?

2. Are kit built LSA aircraft allowed in controlled airspace? C? D? or just G? I have a PPL and the endorsement, but can you do it with an RAA licence? WHat about the conversion of GAAP to class D airspace?

I live in Melbourne so the answers to these questions have the potential to kill my project before I even start.

Hi Sunfish.

I believe the answer to question 1 was in this months RAAus mag. I don't have it handy, but look there if you have one - I think it was in Mick's column. I'll look tonight. Pretty sure the answer was that you just ring the office 48 hours prior with the details and they'll give the approval to you gratis.

Question 2 - if you have a PPL and the aircraft has a transponder and an approved engine, and question 1 has been satisfied if it's a built-up area, then you're good to go.

Someone else will set us straight if any of that's wrong.

To get the definitive answers, ring the RAAus office.

Guest sunfish

Thanks for the reply Slarti. I don't have access to the RAA magazine.

If the answer to question One means I have to ring and ask permission from the RAA every time I wish to fly over built up areas, then that kills my plan to build an RAA registered LSA aircraft from a kit stone dead because I loose all freedom and flexibility. I want to use the aircraft to travel, not just paddock hop.

I will try and find out about VH registered experimental category aircraft. There are one or two of those trundling in and out of YMMB.

Just a note that this morning I added the RAAus contacts to the Contacts list of the site so you can send an email to any of them right from here.

On the menu go to Home -> Contacts and you can send an email to them - hope this helps

Guest sunfish

Black rod:

and cannot be operated over built-up areas unless authorised by CASA or an authorised person.

I have tried ops at RAA with zero response apart from "If you want authorisation I'll get it for you.'

My question remains; Do I have to do this every time I wish to fly over a built up area or only one time?

Black rod:

I have tried ops at RAA with zero response apart from "If you want authorisation I'll get it for you.'

My question remains; Do I have to do this every time I wish to fly over a built up area or only one time?

Sunfish

Only once and it will probably be emailed to you if you supply an email address.

Mine has 3 conditions attached namely

1 The approval will expire when cancelled

2 The aircraft must be equipped with a servicable engine

3 All flights must be conducted at an ailtitude consistant with RA-Aus operational requirements as per ops manual

That simple !!

Regards

Greg

hi , have a look a t the sports aircraft asosiation aus web site SAAA - We are the Builders of AUSTRALIAN EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT it's got info about building , I beleive you can build anything , and use any engine you want under the experimental badge , if registered under "casa experimental " but it also means you need a ppl . I 'm thinking about an rv9 or a mustang2 or a bd4 or a zenith 640 , you get the idea , something in ally , somthing faily quick , but may be over the raa limit so I would be forced to register under casa experimental , because of the weight limit ,oh and there is no is no spped limit in aus for raa planes ( the us has a 120 knot limit). hope this helps . ps I hope this link is ok, Iian if it's not just pull it )