No More Flight Training.

I wouldn't blame CASA for this, their requirements are the same for everyone, and this airfield is an opportunity for a satellite operation. I did some work on the situation back in 2009, which related to the dismantling of Drage's museum and the terminal (which, the last time I was there was a haven for cottage craft and tea cosies, with valuable items like refrigerators, kitchen areas ripped out).

The Council was hell bent on helping a developer turn the place into an industrial subdvision, and no one really was interested in fighting for its survival.

It should have been the jewel in the crown of the North East which has some of the most magnificent flying scenery in Australia.

The competition however is intense, with excellent training facilities nearby, and those who regularly travel more than two hours for training will wonder what the crying is all about. Nearby fields from Wangaratta and times to get there by car are:

Benalla 36 min

Corowa 37 min

Yarrawonga 50 min

Albury 52 min

Porepunkah 61 min

Euroa 64 min

Shepparton 80 min

Mangalore 95 min

Tocumwal 97 min

Mount Beauty 102 min

• 1 year later...
I have recently moved from WA and I am a Wangaratta resident and shortly after I flew into Melbourne I was nearly in tears after seeing in Secure Air's website that Wangaratta has gone from the top right corner from the school lists. I really want to fly again but I want to do it at Wangaratta Airport. Can anyone give an explanation on why it's closed?

Flying training is available at Wangaratta airport again. At present only RAA but by new year also G.A. Bi Enniels e.t.c.

• Like 1

Jim Cuthill, CFI of "Falcon Hawk" near Benalla is said to be a wizard. Never met him but have spoken to him on the electric telephone...seems a very nice bloke. FYI

Yes Jim is at Goorambat.Jim & I go back to 1989 when I was CFI of Geelong Ultralights (now Geelong Sports Aviators) We had 10 thrusters on my airfield at Lovely Banks. Jim has to be a great Bloke as he still has a Thruster .I am now CFI at Wangaratta using a eurofox. Just waiting for his strip to dry so I can fly in for a coffee again.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Is Lovely Banks still active? I got endorsed on the Chipmunk there in 1969. Allan Baskett was the instructor and if i remember correctly he had an engine failure at take off somewhere in Vic and landed on a house. Survived it too.

Is Lovely Banks still active? I got endorsed on the Chipmunk there in 1969. Allan Baskett was the instructor and if i remember correctly he had an engine failure at take off somewhere in Vic and landed on a house. Survived it too.

I did some flying at Lovely Banks back then. Last saw Alan about a year ago.The Age - Google News Archive Search

• 2 weeks later...

Partenavia P68, runaway forward trim on takeoff at night from Essendon where he was instructing night circuits. Hit a house roof on the opposite side of the South Eastern Freeway, family incinerated.

Alan Survived this but I never got to fly with him after that. ( Was my instructor at Berwick ) Great instructor and a true Gentleman.