No More Flight Training.

I was saddened today to read that my local training school will be closed down; Wangaratta Flight Training Centre. Although, Wangaratta Aero Club will still be running, there will be no flight training unfortunately. That means for me an Aviation Enthusiast and hopeful RA-Aus Pilot in the future, I will have to travel elsewhere to get flying tuition. Fro what I understand of it. I have sent them an email for more information about the closure and possible flight training in future, I will let you know of the outcome. I was notified this from their website (To all members and interested parties of the Wangaratta Aero Club | Wangaratta Flight Training Centre), it read:

To all members and interested parties of the Wangaratta Aero ClubThe Wangaratta Flight Training Centre will cease all operations by midnight of the 25th May.

The Committee has taken the decision, as was stated at the Special General Meeting, to offer both LTR (172) and BGD (172XP) for sale, as soon as our flight training operation closes. So if you are interested in these aircraft, please give us a call.

We can still hire aircraft to registered pilots who should be members of our club. We still offer FZR (182) & LSP (172) and the Eurofox for members to fly. If there are any conditions attached to the hire of these aircraft we will determine what those conditions will be and let you know.

We ask all students and members to be patient during the changeover period which could be several weeks. In the meantime Nathan and Sue will offer instruction at Shepparton for those students, or members requiring BFR's etc., who do not wish to wait for the new operators to begin at Wangaratta.

The Committee wish to re-iterate that, while flying training may be ceasing, Wangaratta Aero Club is not closing and is looking forward to its' role as a social flying club dedicated to the enjoyment of its many members.

I would like to thank members for their patience and understanding during this interim time and assure you that we are working towards a better future for our club.

We would like to get through this period before we start fielding suggestions for new aircraft. We will let you know when we are in a position to start this process.

Any questions, please call the Wangaratta Aero Club on 0357 213 845.

Best Regards

Keith Sutherland, President Wangaratta Aero Club

Please note, The all new Wangaratta Aero Club website will be up soon!

Hopefully flight training will start up in the near future,

That's sad news for you Wang, sorry to hear it... Hopefully you can get a way to continue your training when the time comes.

What sort of a flying club is it that doesn't do flight training? How will they get future members, or are they resigned to the demise of GA aviation?

Mazda: They haven't said why, only what is on the website.I've sent them a email to find out why.

Yenn: Well there was Wang Aero Club then there was a different sector of it called Wangaratta Flight Training Centre which provided RA-Aus & GA Flying tuition. For some reason it is closing down. I'm not sure how they will get future members. They may be looking for different people to run the flying tuition sector or something, I have no clue.. hopefully the email I sent them will explain it all.

Guest Kevin the Penniless

One reason why you should NEVER pay fees up front, always pay for each lesson as you take them.

Gidday All,

Yes it is sad that the Wangaratta Aero Club will not be training anymore under that name but flying training, both Ga and Raa will recommence as soon as CASA gives approval for another local flying training establishment to operate a satellite school here. This should be only a few more weeks.

The Wang Aero club like most clubs, has since the fifty's built up a great club with quality training that has seen many, many pilots trained each year through to CPL that have gone on to fulfill their flying dream. The funds and infrastructure that the club has now is due to the tireless efforts of past instructors and CFI's that gave their time at a very low or zero cost to the club.

Unfortunately times have changed and the CASA requirements of CFI's and Chief Pilots means a huge cost to the club that we are unable to sustain. As a committee, we have taken the decision with unanimous support from all the members to stop the losses now to preserve the funds built up over half a century.

As a club we will still have aircraft for hire to club members and training will still be happening so effectively there will be no big change.

For any more details please feel free to call me anytime.

Terry Vaughan

Wangaratta Aero Club

0427 221106

Hello Terry,

I wasn't sure if there was to be a new operator coming or not, but you have just confirmed my thoughts, thanks! Good news to hear flight training will commence once again sometime soon. I need to get a part-time job soon to start saving (also thinking of applying for a flight training scholarship called 'GYFTS' from the RA-Aus)!

I'm sure the Wang Aero Club is a great club to be apart of and plenty of tireless effort has been put in to what it is today, hopefully some day I will be apart of this (:!

The infrastructure of the whole Wangaratta Airport is looking a bit tired and I need of a repaint or an upgrade of some sort, I don't really know? This is probably due to I guess lack of Council Support and funding? Unfortunately.

Hope to see you out there sometime soon, hopefully in the sky!

-Jack

What sort of a flying club is it that doesn't do flight training? How will they get future members, or are they resigned to the demise of GA aviation?

Murwillumba Flying Club:big_grin:

What sort of a flying club is it that doesn't do flight training?

Yarra Valley Aero Club :big_grin:

But sad to see the developments at Wang - I reckon all GA clubs/schools should be supporting recreational aviation because that is the growth area (not saying Wang didn't, they had the Eurofox I think).

Plus I reckon GA should support CTA endorsement for RA - because long term that is the only thing that will stop Moorabbin, Parafield, Archerfield etc being closed and sold off for real estate. I can't understand why people like Australian Flying's Doug Nancarrow, who clearly see the writing on the wall, can't join the dots and see where the future lies .....

• Like 1

Gday terry, i live in hobart an i travelled to george town the top end of tassy for my training a distance of approx 300 ks about 4 hours or so i would leave after work friday come home sunday ( weather permitting) the reason im writing this to you is if you want it bad enough be prepared to go the distance the end result is mind blowing i hope you find your patch of sky to play in regards kermit

• Like 1

Theres plenty of regional clubs like this, Cant keep instructors and clubs cant get enough students

There are a few RA instructors willing to travel and covering larger area now operating as sattelites.

Guest burbles1

The loss of an airfield is bad, but I'm taking the opportunity to mention that the Canberra Regional Aviators is pushing to establish an airfield for the ACT. I've become a member because I lived near Canberra but had to travel to Goulburn and Cooma for training.

Take a look at their website Canberra Region Aviators Association Inc. and consider becoming a member. You mightn't live there, but one day you might appreciate having a new airfield enroute.

(Now I'll step off my soapbox.)

• 1 month later...

Well, looking at the Wangaratta Aero Clubs website. It explains that Secure Air Flight Training is now the new flight training providers.

Anyone know what they are charging an hour in the RAA aircraft out there?

• 4 years later...
Guest Boeing737ng

I have recently moved from WA and I am a Wangaratta resident and shortly after I flew into Melbourne I was nearly in tears after seeing in Secure Air's website that Wangaratta has gone from the top right corner from the school lists. I really want to fly again but I want to do it at Wangaratta Airport. Can anyone give an explanation on why it's closed?

Plus I reckon GA should support CTA endorsement for RA - because long term that is the only thing that will stop Moorabbin, Parafield, Archerfield etc being closed and sold off for real estate. I can't understand why people like Australian Flying's Doug Nancarrow, who clearly see the writing on the wall, can't join the dots and see where the future lies .....

What about the eight FTA aircraft in the circuit at YPPF, or the 15 Od students out on solos each day? I would have that they would contribute more then the occasional weekend flyers. Last thing I think we need is unfamiliar traffic at our busiest airports

The writing may have been on the wall for Wangaratta due to the same politics that closed the Drage museum, the wonderful terminal and the proposal to turn it into a road freight hub.

There was virtually no interest in saving it and it seems no secure demand for training.

There is a smorgasbord of alternatives in the north east from Benalla half an hour down the Hume Highway, Albury not much further up the highway and other nearby towns.

It's a shame but it just didn't get enough support.

Gday terry, i live in hobart an i travelled to george town the top end of tassy for my training a distance of approx 300 ks about 4 hours or so i would leave after work friday come home sunday ( weather permitting) the reason im writing this to you is if you want it bad enough be prepared to go the distance the end result is mind blowing i hope you find your patch of sky to play in regards kermit

It seems to be ok for 'kermit', looking at his avatar he has obviously been flying there in short hops.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Winner 1

Hi Guys , Terry here from the Wangaratta Aero Club, We are still around as a flying group and have BBQ's on the last Sunday of the month ( except this weekend coming ).

Unfortunately after being a flight training organisation for more than 60 years we could not continue the training on CASA's terms due to the cost of employing a full time Chief Pilot/CFI. To preserve the funds built up by previous stalwarts of the club over the last 60 years we decided to stop the losses and halt GA training. Nathan and Sue at Secure air came in and took on training for a period of time and did a great job.

But we are back now with a top aerodrome, great aviation area, great club and training rooms, but unfortunately no training. We are more than happy to welcome another GA training school to use our facilities and we are currently trying to find an RAA instructor who would like to impart his knowledge and skills to get the many pilots locally back in the air. We have access to aircraft and the instructor is our only hold up at the moment.

Terry

Hi Guys , Terry here from the Wangaratta Aero Club, We are still around as a flying group and have BBQ's on the last Sunday of the month ( except this weekend coming ).Unfortunately after being a flight training organisation for more than 60 years we could not continue the training on CASA's terms due to the cost of employing a full time Chief Pilot/CFI. To preserve the funds built up by previous stalwarts of the club over the last 60 years we decided to stop the losses and halt GA training. Nathan and Sue at Secure air came in and took on training for a period of time and did a great job.

But we are back now with a top aerodrome, great aviation area, great club and training rooms, but unfortunately no training. We are more than happy to welcome another GA training school to use our facilities and we are currently trying to find an RAA instructor who would like to impart his knowledge and skills to get the many pilots locally back in the air. We have access to aircraft and the instructor is our only hold up at the moment.

Terry

Sounds like CASA are doing what CASA does best, killing aviation in this country.