Android mobile phone

I downloaded the application and it looks very useful, who should I contact to get aeronautical charts made up? Or do I have to calibrate my own? I'm sure I could do it but it seems like a lengthy process, so I'd be better off paying for someone to do it.

-Andrew

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the Ozi files from maptrax work fine. they have just restarted selling the latest aviation maps again.

There is another thread on hear about the maptrax maps.

You can also download and store google earth files ( satelite, map, terrain ) and many others for your phone as well and use them in Orux.

Another app is Rmaps that's worth trying and watching developments. There is a couple of others as well but don't have phone with me at present to check. Oruxmaps seems the pick so far.

note - best to use pc software to download the google etc files then copy to phone as it takes many hrs to download, convert and store on phone but only minutes to do the same on the PC.

Hi tracktop,

Thanks for your reply, I purchased the maps from Maptrax last night and downloaded them this morning. I had to convert the .TIF file to .PNG and then use the Orux Dekstop software to calibrate it with the Ozi .map file and convert it to an Orux readable file. Can you use the Ozi files directly through Orux?

-Andrew

Yes I went down a similar path first until I re-read the instructions from somewhere

Ok Just had a quick look and from memory

Just use Orux Desktop.

Select "converter tab"

in the "Calibration file" select the required map *._ozf.map from the "OZF Maps" directory ( from my CD anyway)

It usually loads the required "Image File" at the same time. If not it requires the required map file *.ozfx3

I suggest you select multilayer checkbox, then select the % 's required ( more is better than less - probably all)

Then select create map.

copy file/s to phone SD card

Job Done

basically a one step then copy to phone process

It's strange, I get a "Can't find image file. Use Search image file button" when there's clearly a path to the .ozfx3 file, then I hit ok and it says "An error occurred while reading image" Maybe it doesn't like Windows 7?

Sorry for going a bit off topic, maybe I should open another thread?

-Andrew

mmmmmm

maybe I was wrong ( I did say it was quickly from memory - sorry)045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

I looked in my working directory and there are *.png files

when I tried to use the ozfx3 file I got the same error (using XP)

I remember doing the 1st map using a long winded method then finding the quicker way that was quite simple and quick

Just have to work out how the *.png files got there. ( may have been a batch convert, I certainly didn't do them one at a time :confused:)

OK searched further

I may have used a program called demapper.exe as it is in the Oruxmaps desktop directory and seem to generate the *.prn files required for the image files

see here

TerraPerfecta: GPS navigation solutions for PDAs and notebooks

Hope the helps

Yes I went down a similar path first until I re-read the instructions from somewhere Ok Just had a quick look and from memory

Just use Orux Desktop.

basically a one step then copy to phone process

OK well 3 steps

Is this better - does this work OK?

Get demapper.exe

run and select all the required maps

select "decode maps"

*.prn files will be placed in the same directory

run Orux desktop

Select "converter tab"

in the "Calibration file" select the required map *._ozf.map from the "OZF Maps"

Select "Image File" and select the require *.prn file

I suggest you select multilayer checkbox, then select the % 's required ( more is better than less - probably all)

Select a destination directory

Then select create map.

copy file/s to phone SD card

Job Done

Thanks for your help Tracktop. I've had this error before but DeMapper keeps crashing when I click 'decode maps' on either Windows XP or Windows 7. I can't seem to send an email to the developer either. I might try installing a .NET framework on my XP virtual box and see how that goes.

EDIT: .NET Framework install was no help

Thanks,

Andrew

Just a thought

Try using just one file ( VNC or VTC) at a time ands see if that works

( again from memory only )

I get an error if I select the full set as there is one ( at least) map file without a supporting file (??? maybe the TAC's)

If it is trying to do that first it may produce that error

Guest davidh10
I might try installing a .NET framework on my XP virtual box and see how that goes.EDIT: .NET Framework install was no help

Thanks,

Andrew

If it is dependent on DotNet, don't forget that programs are version dependant. That's why you end up with every version of DotNet on your PC instead of just the latest :-(

It's one of the things that I hate about DotNet.

DeMapper is from http://terraperfecta.com/demapper.php (I've never used it, just Googled the name.)

Tracktop,

Yeah I'm only trying to convert the Perth VNC. It's driving me crazy 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

-Andrew

EDIT:

Hi David,

I got version 3.5 and judging by the applications complexity (not much :P) I think this should be sufficient.

I waded through most of this thread, and here's my observation: This thread is supposed to be about smartphones. Yet I didn't see a single comment about voice quality. Here in the U.S. and also around Brisbane, audio quality seems to range widely from one brand and model to the next (for a given network like Optus). Doesn't anyone there call people on their smartphones? <s>

Jack

I waded through most of this thread, and here's my observation: This thread is supposed to be about smartphones. Yet I didn't see a single comment about voice quality. Here in the U.S. and also around Brisbane, audio quality seems to range widely from one brand and model to the next (for a given network like Optus). Doesn't anyone there call people on their smartphones? <s>Jack

CALL people?? on my smartphone?? I can do that????????

I've been so busy playing with all the different apps on my Garmin A50, I didnt even know I could use it as a phone 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest davidh10
I waded through most of this thread, and here's my observation: This thread is supposed to be about smartphones. Yet I didn't see a single comment about voice quality. Here in the U.S. and also around Brisbane, audio quality seems to range widely from one brand and model to the next (for a given network like Optus). Doesn't anyone there call people on their smartphones? <s>Jack

Well, yes I ocasionally use my HTC Desire to phone people, but by far the majority of use is as a PDA and for data (browsing, tethering etc..) I moved from a Palm TX, so in terms of PDA synchronisation, the SmartPhone manufacturers have a lot to learn. I feel like I've stepped back to a time before the first Palm model in that area.

Voice quality on the HTC Desire is great. Better than either of my dedicated mobile phones (ie not smart). As the voice is digital from handset to handset, I can't see that the network provider is relevant to sound quality, only to signal coverage. IMHO, Telstra has wider coverage than Optus in regional areas, but both networks have black spots that sometimes co-incide and sometimes don't. I have phones on both networks and live in a regional area where coverage can be patchy.

One of the catches is that there's three radio bands in use in Australia. 3G/HSPDA networks share a common band in the city, but in regional areas Optus and Telstra have discrete bands. The Desire can only cover two of these bands + GSM, so you have to buy either the "Telstra" model or the "Optus Model". While in the city, you could change providers with impunity, in regional areas, you would be condemed to using only 3G. This would also apply to any other phone that only supports two 3G/HSPDA bands. Choose your phone model carefully.

You are correct that voice quality and signal sensitivity vary betweeen makes and models of phones. Once upon a time manufacturers would publish signal to noise and sensitivity figures, but the mass market is more interested in what colours are available and whether it suits their personal image, so all that useful info is no longer published. :ah_oh:

Guest basscheffers
3G/HSPDA networks share a common band in the city, but in regional areas Optus and Telstra have discrete bands.

I thought NextG was on 850 everywhere, including metro. Here's the way I understand it for UMTS/HSPDA in Austalia:

Telstra: 850MHz everywhere

Everyone else: 2100Mhz metro, 900MHz country.

So a "Telstra Desire" supporting 850/2100 would indeed work on any network in the city. But an Optus/Vodo Desire would not work on NextG even in cities.

If you want a smartphone that works on any australian network, country and metro, get an iPhone 4. (It does UMTS 850/900/1900/2100) I have not seen an Android do all those bands. 850 is very much an Australia thing, I don't think anyone else does it. (Telstra is the Airservices of the telecom world?)

In any case, NextG is no so competitively priced compared others and definitely better (barring any specific blackspots) so that it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get anything other than Telstra.

However much it pains me to say that.

Owned an "android" ph for 6 mths now (htc desire), useing telstra, so coverage is pretty good..............however the reception of this ph is pathetic, worst i've ever had .

2ndly..........transferring downloaded itunes into it............pain in the proverbial.

About to toss it, and get an iphone4..........should i:confused::confused:

Guest basscheffers
About to toss it, and get an iphone4..........should i

Probably, yes. :) so much more user friendly, so many more and much higher quality apps - especially aviation apps. With more to come. :D

If you think you have problems transferring with the HTC, wait till you get an iPhone. I used to own one and I hated the way Apple forced you to use iTunes (but I loved the app store!) If you want a phone where you have more freedom and are able to customize your phone so much then stick with your Android phone. I've never used a Desire but I have the Samsung Galaxy S and it kills the iPhone.

Andrew

I was going to say the same thing Sseeker... Unless you have an apple computer I wouldn't install anything with an i for apple in it. The times I have I have found it very, very overbearing, trying to install all sorts of apple poop on my pc...

(I am visiting this site using Ubuntu... I gotta say this works better than windows for the Android.)

Guest basscheffers

A smartphone is really a computer system, and with any computer system, it comes down to preference. With whatever system you choose, you have to work with it. If you try working against it, you will be frustrated and left wanting. I have no idea how you manage your music, but obviously you weren't willing to switch to iTunes completely, tried to keep your way of doing and use iTunes to put music on the iPhone as well. That's a recipe for frustration!

Likewise, if you have your entire collection in iTunes and decide to buy an Android, you are going to run into the same problem.

If you think you have problems transferring with the HTC, wait till you get an iPhone. I used to own one and I hated the way Apple forced you to use iTunes

It sounds like Russ already has all his music in iTunes, so I doubt that will worry him!

The beauty of iTunes is that everything needed to synchronise your phone is in one place. At night, I plug my iPhone into my computer and without me having to worry about anything, it:

• Backs up my entire phone - If I destory, lose or have my iPhone stolen tomorrow, I pick up a new one, plug it in and I am right where I left off.

• Puts on any new music

• Updates apps to the latest version

• Puts on any new podcasts and removes old ones. Even lets iTunes know where I stopped listening, so if I decide to continue listening on my computer, it's right where I stopped it. And vice versa.

• Syncs calendars, contacts, bookmarks, mail account settings.

• And a whole lot more!

As my Desire owning colleague (and Android app developer) says: "Yeah, you don't get that on the Android, you are pretty much on your own".

Another major advantage of the iPhone is that you are not stuck waiting for your carrier whenever there is a new version of the OS out. When Apple releases iOS, I have it the say day. Not months later or possibly not at all.

And then there is the number of available and quality of the apps... iOS is just very easy to develop good looking and well working applications for. Android is much more complex, ask any developer.

Currently Android only has 10% of the devices that iPhone has in Australia, so the incentive isn't there yet for developers.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S and it kills the iPhone.

Are you comparing the Galaxy S to your old iPhone or to an iPhone 4? The 4 pretty much matches the Galaxy S on every spec. iPhone 4 is a whole different beast from the 3GS and a loooong way ahead of the 3G.

Features and interface wise, well, you are comparing apples and oranges. Some people like apples, some oranges... :big_grin:

Don't get me wrong, I think Android is a great development and competition is a good thing. It just has some way to grow; I am sure there will be PC software that does for Android phones what iTunes does for iPhone. And that the number of devices will grow and software developers will be more interested.

But for now, especially for aviation, iPhone is where it's at...

Guest basscheffers
Bass, what aviation related apps do you recommend for the i phone 4?

First of all, you need a non-aviation weather app like "pktWeather AU"!

Then there is the unmissable NAIPS app and my own, free, "Dial-A-Wis".

And then there is a plethora of apps that replace your flight computer, many of them free. "FlightTouch" is the one I use most.

And then I have an announcement real soon, but because it is a commercial one and I am the one selling it, I am waiting for my supplier account on this site to be activated! But it is very exciting. :)

(Some who have been around here for a while might guess what it is and search for it in the app store! :big_grin:)