Android mobile phone

Difference is apple is very limited in what it lets you do. So long as it's an app on istore you're fine. Want to add anything else and you run into issues.With my N97 I can install software by virtually anyone, write software myself for it if I am that way inclined, it has ALL the features of an iphone...(guess who is anti apple ;) )

Having been a software developer for 20 years I can tell you that having a system architecture that allows you to do anything and lets programs do anything is very flexible and cheap way to rapidly build up an application base (i.e. the IBM PC, DOS and Windows) BUT it also creates a world of pain, unstable systems, unsecure code and lack of consistent interface.

Apple have always controlled their systems and the software written for them. This approach has made the Mac and associated software more expensive initially but because it is more robust and consistent it has been shown to be cheaper to maintain and easier to use.

Of course society doesn't always embrace the best idea's, a simple factor such as cost, availability, market saturation, or a killer app can determine which company/technology gets adopted by the majority.

As for the phones, time will tell which platform becomes the dominant technology. I have recently purchased an iPhone, simply because I have an iPod and it was easy to plug it into iTunes and required no additional installations, it is simple to use and well supported.

P.S. I have never owned a Mac and my first Apple product was an iPod. I have developed software for Unix mainframes and mini's, and PC based systems (Dos, OS/2 & Windows).

Cheers,

Richard.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had a HTC Tytn 2 for a couple of years now - has a GPS and Co-Pilot that will sms my lat and long location to the wife every say 15mins so when I am flying she always knows where I am - that is when it is working...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The story is I had it in my pocket of my shorts and I stepped into the spa to give it a clean. Unfortunately even though the water only came up to just over the bottom of my shorts the pockets went all the way down to the short bottoms arrrgh, scratch one HTC $1,100 phone and it was only 1 month old.

I had it repaired costing $650 but it was never right. Now the screen hasn't worked for about 6 months so it is in my desk draw and I am using a 4yo LG basic flip - because it is a phone, it rings, I answer, I talk, I hang up...WOW what a "PHONE" and it can never ring anyone accidentally or scratch the screen or anything as it is a flip :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Personally I have never liked the iphone because to me it is like having personalised number plates. The best brand of phone that I have ever had and kept on getting them for over 10 years was Motorola - not sure what their offerings are today though.

PS: come back in two years and see if Nokia (or HTC) has been giving you the software updates needed to still run the latest apps. Ever come across a 2001 iPod that doesn't work with the latest iTunes version? Me neither...

In 2 years, these phones will be $2 peices of junk, and we will be on here arguing about the next "latest and greatest" phone keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest basscheffers

HTC Desire owners are the new fanbois

Personally I have never liked the iphone because to me it is like having personalised number plates.

The iPhone is mainstream now, people just buy it to use it. It's the HTC Desire owners that show them around all day, smuggly hinting at what great people they must be for owning one! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

(Yes, plenty of them around the office here.)

Guest eland2705

Darky, Ya duzn't need a flash phone mate.

Yous got Ray Ban Aviators with mirrored lenses, your cool already!

Guest basscheffers
They're not real Apple fans Darky - the REAL fans are out there queueing for their iPads today, not mucking around on forums ....

No queueing for me, had it delivered! It's sitting at the in-laws now...

Did have to jump through hoops to get a uSIM for it this morning. Tip: if someone in a mobile phone store asks if the address on your driver's license is your current one, say yes, even when it is not.

As much as I like toys, I wouldn't have blown $800 (+ pre-paid data) on one if it weren't for the fact that everyone else is getting one, which means I can sell them my software for it! (Which means I need to have one to test on...)

Ooooh, the Apple fans are getting defensive! :stirring pot:

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

[ATTACH]10903.vB[/ATTACH]

Gen 4 iPhone spec's - sapphire glass back, 920X640 res screen (current ones are 480X320), up to 64gb memory, 1ghz A4 arm processor, 512mb ram, multi tasking, 5mp camera, 3mp front facing camera for video chat, wireless syncing, longer lasting battery, and 33% lighter in weight than the current one.

gizmodo-iphone-4g.jpg.55d316b4f74c55476b96df3433d387f3.jpg

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

[ATTACH]16042[/ATTACH]

Gen 4 iPhone spec's - sapphire glass back, 920X640 res screen (current ones are 480X320), up to 64gb memory, 1ghz A4 arm processor, 512mb ram, multi tasking, 5mp camera, 3mp front facing camera for video chat, wireless syncing, longer lasting battery, and 33% lighter in weight than the current one.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Seriously Tomo, in the nicest possible way, just give up, there's no way I'm getting an iPhone :)

Apple iPad owners are the new fanbois

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian viewpost.gif

Personally I have never liked the iphone because to me it is like having personalised number plates.

The HTC Desire is mainstream now, people just buy it to use it. It's the Apple iPad owners that show them around all day, smuggly hinting at what great people they must be for owning one!

(Yes, plenty of them around here.) laugh.gif

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Seriously Tomo, in the nicest possible way, just give up, there's no way I'm getting an iPhone :)

Yeah I know... just letting the others know... ;) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The HTC Desire is mainstream now, people just buy it to use it. It's the Apple iPad owners that show them around all day, smuggly hinting at what great people they must be for owning one!

(Yes, plenty of them around here.) laugh.gif

*snicker* :thumb_up:

Jeeeeeeze,

This threads getting as bad as that Southpark episode where everyone got Toyota Prius's and ruined the environment with all their "SMUG".006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif They just weren't ready. Are we?

Seriously though. Work bought me an iPhone 3G a few months ago to replace my ageing Blackberry Pearl. I find the iPhone slow to respond but compared to the Blackberry Pearl it makes up for it in functionality, except that it lacks voice dialing.thumb_down

Cheers,

Glen:rotary:

PS. I'm starting to worry about Darky and Tomo . . .

Gotta say I'm a big fan of the new n900 coming out.

Ipad? I don't see the point personally. Nice to put on your coffee table so people can wow when they come in. IT's really just a big iphone.

In allseriousnes though, it doesn't really matter what smartphone you get. The reason I chose the nokia is for the free nokia maps (with navigator). Is the best navigation suite you will get on any system.

Two questions:1. Does anyone have an HTC Desire phone? If yes, what do you think of it?

2. Are there many (any?) aviation apps available for Android phones?

I have a desire and it's the best thing I've ever held in my hands.........ever.....

Theres a few aviation apps, heres a good list of em: http://www.cyrket.com/search?q=aviation&sort=rating&market=android

Loving it.

Guest basscheffers
I have a desire and it's the best thing I've ever held in my hands.........ever.....Theres a few aviation apps, heres a good list of em: aviation - Cyrket

Loving it.

Well, that list just proves it: if you want a smart phone for aviation, there's only one option!

Guest davidh10

Mmm... tried one of the demo HTC apps on the app's website. Appears the UK based app cannot access the TAF and METAR for YMAY. I don't have much use for UK weather reports.

I'm also on the lookout for a replacement for my trusty Nokia N3330 (8 ys old) and my Palm Tx, now about four+ years old. My Pre-paid plan costs only the equivalent of $8 per month, which makes everything else look expensive.

Looks like these days, I'm going to have to get a SmartPhone.

I'll be sad not to get another Palm, but unfortunately they lost the plot a few years ago and are now just not in the race. They have a lovely new multi-tasking O/S, but No aviation apps that I could find, and it may take who knows how long before they have any:sad:. As with all things, maybe that will change with time, but I'm not holding my breath.

It seems that everyone has forsaken handwriting input:crying:. Apple pioneered this input method and Palm followed with the very successful "Graffiti"(although version 2 was inferior to version 1). I still use it for note taking in meetings, conferences etc..

I don't want a Windoze phone (it has it's place but that isn't on a phone). That basically leaves me looking at iPhone and HTC. Neither thrills the socks off me:crying:. I don't want iTunes on my laptop. I do want to be able to sync my data for use on my laptop (yes sync - two-way, not just backup). "It's my data Ralph!", so I don't want it on some vendor's servers!

From my research, the iPhone is the front runner and I may have to ultimately trade-off my disinclinations in order to have something useful, and which meets most of my other needs / wishes.

At this stage, I'm not rushing out to buy anything, and praying my existing devices don't pack it in too soon.

Why not a nokia? My N97 has a handwriting input on any text box. OS is Symbian.

You don't need itunes and can sync using either ovi or pcsuite (I prefer pcsuite, less automated).

If you are happy with your plan you can pick up an unlocked phone (which is what I did). This Nokia Mobile Phones | MobiCity place is where I picked mine up from. They source them from o/s (so you get a convertor for the charger) but it means they get the benefit of the awesome exchange rate at the moment.

Unfortunately the n97 is about $150 more expensive than when I bought them (picked mine up for $540) but you can keep an eye out on their website. The price changes fairly regularly.

Don't know about aviation apps. Haven't really looked to be honest but there is a crapload of symbian apps (some for free, some to pay) so have a look and see what you find. I only use it for GPS while flying (Awesome gps software AVTrack).

Good luck with it.

• 2 months later...
I've been looking closely at the HTC Desire, all the reviews I've read seem to suggest that they are the bees knees. But then I wonder if waiting for the HTC EVO 4G is the way to go. As for apps, I've been doing a fair bit of Googling for "android aviation". There's not a lot out there yet but keep an eye on developments at PropBlast.org - Aviation Android Apps Website is Live!. A good general starting point for apps seems to be here : Android.com - Market and AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...

Not as many apps as the iPhone yet but I suspect that is all about to change.

Cheers,

Tony

Ok, village idiot here, but....

That first link:

Where are the apps?

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

• 3 months later...

Cheap quality android GPS phone

If anyone is looking for a cheap quality built Android GPS enabled smartphone, try the Garmin-Asus A50 - its currently available at Dick Smiths for $199 (Optus locked). WARNING - I have heard it may be discontinued - you have been warned.

It uses Android 1.6, but Android 2.1 is available as a download, and takes about 10 (easy) minutes to install, if you wish.

Full GPS, Garmin maps are all preloaded, lifetime map upgrade guaranteed by Garmin. This also means you dont need a data connection to use mapping, so it works just like a standalone GPS unit. 3.5in , 320 x 480 screen, VERY good GPS sensitivity (even works reasonably inside my steel shed).

Uses a mini USB connector which is GREAT - I have those cables and connectors all over the house and car (use one in the car for the standalone bluetooth), so only need one charger - also can be charged off the PC while connected.

OK, its not for everyone, esp not fanboys who MUST have the latest and greatest gadget, but it works great, and the price is right.

(now, all I need is the OziexplorerCE build for android to be released, and I will be one happy novice pilot - well, thats not true - I really want an app that will, with one button press, subdue crosswinds above 5 knots 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif).

Have not taken it flying, but works well in the car.

(now, all I need is the OziexplorerCE build for android to be released, and I will be one happy novice pilot

Grab OruxMaps from the market, it does EVERYTHING OziCE did/does (and is free).

I have used Ozi for years and I really missed it when my PDA died. This app certainly fills that void!!

I've converted all my ozfx3 files across just fine (instructions are on their website)

Des is apparently writing Ozi for Android but no release date is even hinted at, and given how much OziCE cost (as well as ozi for the Desktop) I'd have to imagine it's going to be more than a few dollars!!

Oruxmaps also is supported by some of the flying apps on thew android market too!

I discovered it the other day and I'm writing some tutorials that will be published here on how to convert files etc over the next few weeks.

Grab OruxMaps from the market, it does EVERYTHING OziCE did/does (and is free).I have used Ozi for years and I really missed it when my PDA died. This app certainly fills that void!!

I've converted all my ozfx3 files across just fine (instructions are on their website)

Des is apparently writing Ozi for Android but no release date is even hinted at, and given how much OziCE cost (as well as ozi for the Desktop) I'd have to imagine it's going to be more than a few dollars!!

Oruxmaps also is supported by some of the flying apps on thew android market too!

I discovered it the other day and I'm writing some tutorials that will be published here on how to convert files etc over the next few weeks.

Done... Thanks.