Following on from Darky's post RE: mobile phones.

Winsor68:Please, can you tell me the name of that APP which acts like an EPIRB?

Flying Dog... I spent hours last night trying to find the app... when I first saw it I had only had the phone for a short while and didn't download it.

I could not find it which suggests several possibilities...

1. I imagined the whole thing.

2. It has been removed.... possible because all the apps I saw last night which offered anything like this did not have a function to send a message after getting a shock... but there are several that will send an "SOS" if you hit a button with location etc. So perhaps the app was there but did not do what it claimed so was removed?

3. That it is still out there waiting to be re discovered.

I will keep on looking because it has got me stumped!

Winsor68

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
That is misleading and deceptive conduct ...

Fair comment Darky.

I suspect he was really dark on the fact that I'd bought one on PrePaid. I did wonder how the network would know the difference, and how Telstra would convince competitors to not connect customers!

Ah well, you've blown that myth away :)

The activation and phone number port were accomplished in only a couple of hours, so I was pleasantly surprised. That has obsoleted my 10 year old phone, but at day two of owning it, I'm still running my old Palm TX while researching how best to migrate the data.:big_grin: {this isn't a question}

BTW, I haven't found much in the way of Telstra BloatWare so far. They have included a bunch of Bookmarks / Favourites (depending on your lexicon) pre-installed and the power-on splash screen has their branding. 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif

In typical advertising form ( not at all specific to Telstra) they are fairly correct in what they say - just they don't include all the facts. -

There are in fact 2 different models of Desire, with different part numbers. One model works on Telstra Next G, the other model works on all the other networks ( and Telstra 3G I think) .

I guess the bloat wear most talk about is a couple of apps that are installed, you don't have to use them but they cannot be uninstalled

Hasn't been an issue for me either.

Haven't filled my 2gig card yet but caching google maps so data connection is not required ( and data allocation used) is a nice feature but memory hungry if you want fine detail stored on board.

bigger card on the list

I am on a Telstra plan and it seems fine and I thought at the time much cheaper than prepaid. Extra data can be added and removed , to any plan as required for a few ( or lots) of $

Not my favourite carrier but then NONE are and they do seem to have the coverage sewn up.

If you do have another carriers phone it 'may' be possible to get it to work on Telstra's NextG by upgrading the radio firmware.. (andriod / windows mobile)

xda-developers

Great source for freeware apps as well.

Most phones (bar the Iphone) use a programmable chip to control the radio freqency instead of the 'old' crystals that were locked. Hence they can be programmed to other ranges.

Telstra use 850 UTM and 2100UTM while optus are using 900GPRS and 1900GPRS.

Also beware that the old CDMA antennas / patch leads and inductive antenna pads etc will still work with NextG as they still use the same radio bands. CDMA is still used on the rural radio telephone systems.

Anybody want to guess why telstra have not upgraded them.. (loss of satellite revenue! - Signal loss oh and it would cost them a fortune to phyically upgrade the gear for less return)

• 2 weeks later...