Following on from Darky's post RE: mobile phones.

Hi Ian,

Get a new one the boss where i do part time work for has got one and it is magic, we use it as back up and he emails his wife the track information at the end of the day when he is away and she can follow him, handy if using the reverse track back home and he is running late she can send it to the appropiate authorities.

Bob.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian,

I have the new HTC Desire (same as Darky)... I am happy with it.

As regards to which phone it really seems to depend on which carrier/plan you are on... In my experience up this way the only option is a Telstra phone... the other carriers don't offer the coverage (even if the customer service is mostly lacking). It cost nothing for the new phone on a the cap plan I am on.

This being my first phone with apps I am still amazed at what it can do... I even found an app for a simple EPIRB... phone takes a serious knock and sends a message to a preset number... I imagine these phones are not too far off replacing the laptop I am using to interact with the site.

Check ur insurance policy

I did 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - the water was covered under home insur back then as I have ultimate cover but the screen isn't

Ian,I have the new HTC Desire (same as Darky)... I am happy with it.

As regards to which phone it really seems to depend on which carrier/plan you are on... In my experience up this way the only option is a Telstra phone... the other carriers don't offer the coverage (even if the customer service is mostly lacking). It cost nothing for the new phone on a the cap plan I am on.

This being my first phone with apps I am still amazed at what it can do... I even found an app for a simple EPIRB... phone takes a serious knock and sends a message to a preset number... I imagine these phones are not too far off replacing the laptop I am using to interact with the site.

I have a data account with Telstra 200mb a month for the laptop on 3g, 2 Mobile Phones sharing one single account with extremely low call rates for the wife and I with Three and with Optus I have cable Internet, home phone and my daughter's mobile phone - just about got them all covered 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I have it narrowed down to:

HTC Desire - Telstra - $49 cap - $400 calls - 200mb data

Samsung Galaxy S - Optus - $49 cap - $420 calls - 500mb data

Sony Ericsson X10 - Optus - $49 cap + $10 - $420 calls - 500mb data

Sony Ericsson X10 - Three - $49 cap + $10 - $450 calls - 500mb data

Motorola Milestone - Optus - $49 cap - $420 calls - 500mb data

Motorola MB200 Dext - Optus - $29 cap - $150 calls - 200mb data

It seems the Galaxy S is the latest and I am told will go head to head with the new iPhone 4.

I like the HTC Desire and the fact that it is with Telstra simply for Next G (don't like Telstra though) but the negative is only 200mb data so that will cost to get more.

I have always liked Motorola and the Dext seems a nice phone.

But, when it all boils down to it you are I gather mostly using apps so they are all very similar as you will use the same android apps on any of the android phones.

Crikey it is either my age or it is getting so darn hard to simply buy a phone these days...do any of them work as a TV remote as well???

Ian

I have the HTC Desire on the Telstra $49 cap plan.

Just love the phone, and would recommend it to anyone.

The GPS is terrific (I know you can get it on other phones too) - I use it to monitor my circuits and I reckon they've improved in consistency.

The X10's are running Android 1.6 and don't look like getting an update soon.

They also are saying there's a high return rate on the units overseas.

The Milestone, Galaxy S and Desire all rock Android 2.1 and the other phones may not get upgraded in the near future. I'd look at one of these three units

Hi Ian

I have Telstra desire and it is great

As to data, I think I only used about 20meg (of my 200) of data first month. If you are near wi fi (ie home wireless) the phone will always use that first . So most stuff I update while home in case I need data while out. Despite most reviews being critical of battery life and Telstra software, my experience is I just ignore any Telstra stuff I don't want and it doesn't create any issues. Some of it is even useful.:-) Battery life is ok (well > 1day anyway) if you manage it, which also is not hard.

Gps is a big battery drainer.

I usually leave both data connections off as well until I need them as it also helps battery life,more from the fact I think that the phone isn't waking up all the time to update things.

Why > half of my rec flying browsing is even done on it. Including this post.

Crikey it is either my age or it is getting so darn hard to simply buy a phone these days...do any of them work as a TV remote as well???

Nothing like incentive to help make the decision. I kept putting it off as the decision seemed to hard. More the fact that to get minor (perceived ) improvements (nice to have , wants) the $ requirements seemed to leap dramatically. So probably greed more than old age is the issue.

In the end WOW what a device.

Doesn't seem to do TV remote though, then again the other may not like me having extra control there so may be a good thing.

Camera is average as well compared to ?????

Looks like it is the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 for me...the only issue is no one has any left in stock due to their popularity until next week.

I like the 4" screen, the 32g mem card, the built in radio and the many other features.

I would go the Galaxy or Desire on Telstra (purely for network speed and coverage) Very happy with my HTC desire, got me back into development writing apps for android looks a breeze (famous last words ;) )

Ian check out the external charger form factor. This has swayed my decision expecially the HTC. The mini usb is ideal as a recharger input as it common to many other devices but this also doubles as your external headphone input and buying USB headphones is a problem in OZ. I have not seen the new samsung but it seems to be the darling of the moment.

Ian check out the external charger form factor. This has swayed my decision expecially the HTC. The mini usb is ideal as a recharger input as it common to many other devices but this also doubles as your external headphone input and buying USB headphones is a problem in OZ. I have not seen the new samsung but it seems to be the darling of the moment.

Have you got a link?

HTC Desire has mini USB charger / Computer connection same as iphone, and the Desire Headphone connection is the same as iphone - ie 3.5mm standard jack input, ( any mp3 player stuff works fine) though with mic it uses a 4 pole plug, again like the iphone. The phone is even smart enough to tell you what type is plugged in.

If you read and can believe the many reviews that are around Nokia seem to be dragging their heels badly. ????

Nokia's N8 comes out shortly, has more features than most phones (HDMI out, USB support, awesome camera) but now everyone wants apps and Symbian isn't that popular a platform for mobile devs to work on. MeeGo/Moblin/Whateveritscalledthisweek that runs on their N900 isn't getting the support it needs from within Nokia itself to become a serious player, which is a shame coz it's pretty good, and as a sort of developer I wouldn't mind writing stuff for it, but I don't see there is a strong enough userbase to bother right now.

Nokia will be stuck in the phone-phone category for a bit longer methinks, and that's a but of a pity as their stuff is so damn good and can survive a drop or two unlike most phones in the top end of town.

(I'm such a nerd....)

CraigRat: I agree completely. Development is a lot easier now though with QT. Makes cross platform development easier.

Also Nokia's have always been better for features. They have outfeatured every iphone for years (unsure about android as I haven't really looked into it).

The only issue with Nokia is they seem to release software before working out all the bugs. Ie. they released ovi music but it is so freaking hard to link your phone to it atm.

Using a HTC Touch HD2 with a couple of GPS apps loaded.. GPSvp and nonigpsplot.

Great phone and excellent coverage. External antennas are possible using a inductive mount. Standard GSM is crap so NextG is the only way to go.

Played around using the wireless router last night so I may have a shot at using my Ipod touch for weather etc while flying via the router...

It is possible to 'jailbreak' the Ipod Touch (legal now!) so you can use a bluetooth GPS with it and most of the iPhone aviation maps. Next Experiment.

Edit: A few people have managed to get Android running as a boot option on the HD2. Rumours around of a couple people running Windows mobile 7 prerelease on it as well.

Guest davidh10

Saw a post the other day in a different forum, where someone has managed to get Android onto an iPhone 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

I guess they won't call Apple for support!!

Yeah, pretty much Shags.There were mp3 players before the ipod came about, but they were expensive (I actually bought a minidisk player because SD cards were tiny and expensive in comparison), and the ipod popularised them and brought the price down.

I'll give them credit: They do a great user interface. But as far as performance and ability goes, the ipod/iphone isn't that great. And as a linux-nerd i can't stand the draconian restrictions on what an owner can do with the device they purchased. As far as i can see, most people buy them to be cool. There isn't anything that an iphone can do that you can't do with other systems, if you're willing to put the effort in to figure it out. :P

Coming home on the train tonight I was standing and the girl sitting on a seat next to me was watching a movie on her mobile phone. A seat became available and I sat down next to another girl who was transferring her contacts from an iPhone to her new Samsung Galaxy. I asked her which one she thought was better and she quickly replied with a grin...the Samsung. The iPhone is easier to use but the Samsung has so much more and the screen is like looking at a HD television.

Can't wait till my new Galaxy arrives in a couple of weeks 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Incidentally, started my new job today and sure enough there is a regular forum member working there...this site certainly gets out there 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My brother got his new G4 iPhone today... and it's hard to describe!

The graphics/screen and everything is pretty unreal compared to the older one.

Love the video, which is amazing as well, and with two camera's in it, you don't really need to carry another around! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif