Following on from Darky's post RE: mobile phones.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3G frequencies and phone models

Query.............if one purchases an "unlocked" phone from anywhere.......does one just drop your existing sim card into it........and bobs your uncle. :confused:

from Whirlpool.net.au

"Outside of the cities, only Telstra use 3G 850, all other carriers use 3G 900.

So if you want 3G on Telstra outside of the cities where 3G 850 is used, you need the Telstra version. For any other carrier or situation, the standard model should suffice, for example Optus or Vodafone 900 outside of the cities.

2100 is used in the cities by all carriers.

Band I (W-CDMA 2100) Australia (all carriers' metropolitan networks)

Band V (W-CDMA 850) Australia (Telstra NextG Network)

Band VIII (W-CDMA 900) Australia (Optus and Vodafone regional/country 3G networks)

Note

Telstra have made modifications to the operating system of the Australian model. Menus and tabs have been customised."

see HTC Desire - Models and Networks

cheers

Col

Guest davidh10
Or buy it unlocked from overseas. I got mine for $620 including shipping from the UK, completely unlocked and no Telstra bloatware. Must cheaper overall plus no hassle of unlocking.

Good thought Darky. There's also an asian site that sells unbranded hardware that looks like it has come off the same production line at prices about half what you have quoted.

Not sure what ACMA's stance on this is these days. It used to be illegal to import unapproved phones.

You also need to be careful of the different network support that phones are built for in different parts of the world.

Now we know your route was successful :big_grin:

Guest davidh10
It's eqrly days David but initial response is ...may even get an IRon for the wife

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks Ian. Yes the Samsung looks like better hardware.

Gee. This thread has really taken off again. Thanks for all the interesting and useful info, everyone.

Guest davidh10
...I started my phone off with syncing it to Outlook by simply plugging it in to my PC and the s/ware that comes with the Galaxy does it all for you...

Was this an "Import" or a Sync? The manual suggests it is an Import. You can also export, but there's no mention of bidirectional record level synchronisation? ie edit / create / delete records on both PC and phone, then synchronise to exchange changes.

The Desire allows you to set the conflict resolution to keep one or the other. No mention of the Palm method of duplication and notification, so you don't lose the edits in either source.

PS. "BloatWare" is just a colloquial term used to describe overly large, or unwanted software that you are usually stuck with to obtain the desired function. In this case, Telstra apps that the person does not want. As in second hand markets, someone's trash is another persons treasure :)

Guest davidh10
from Whirlpool.net.au"Outside of the cities, only Telstra use 3G 850, all other carriers use 3G 900....

Thanks Col. I was conceptually aware of this, but not the specifics, so that's really helpful.:)

Since I live in a regional area, this means that my choice of phone ties me to the network.

Have already had to change work phones due to this. Optus provided phones that would not work well on their regional network. I was aware it was a band usage incompatibility, but not the detail. Now better but not great. Based on this info, it was probably a phone that used GSM but couldn't use their regional 3G, which definitely has a better coverage.

Query.............if one purchases an "unlocked" phone from anywhere.......does one just drop your existing sim card into it........

Yup. I bought an unlocked phone from the UK then put in a sim card from TPG.

Please define "bloatware", is this a technical term? Which particular parts of the Telstra "enhancements" didn't you like? and why not.

'Bloatware' is a term commonly used to describe extra programs installed by companies before sale - davidh10 defined it well. I didn't want a Telstra 'branded' phone with extra Telstra additions that I didn't really feel I needed - extra price, less memory on phone, not for me. If I wanted a phone that had been messed with and locked in by a company/carrier I would've looked at an iphone :stirring pot:

You also need to be careful of the different network support that phones are built for in different parts of the world.

I did check that - there is information on the whirlpool site (which Col has copied above) which describes the different sorts of phones and networks etc. The UK ones use the right sort of network for Aus.

Since I live in a regional area, this means that my choice of phone ties me to the network.

You could consider looking at buying an unlocked phone from overseas and putting it on one of the carrier's 'BYO' plans - it might work out cheaper (although I didn't look into this too closely, since I live in the city so it isn't really an issue). It might be worth looking into though.

David, the Super AMOLED screen uses a lot less power which is why the Galaxy has a long battery life compared to the Desire.

My Desire has the Amoled screen, have they changed this on newer releases?

Side note: I installed this Zagg invisible shield to protect from scratches - bit tricky to install but looks and feels great, happy with it, no difference in screen sensitivity which was my worry. You can order it locally from their dealer for faster delivery, but cost me less to order it from the US (took a couple of weeks to get here.) They have a promo on the website which discounts it..

I put one of those on the Ipad last night...takes 12hrs to dry but because it uses a wet stick I was able to get it placed perfectly on the Ipad...they are a bit expensive but I am happy with the result as well.

Yes, the Desire uses the Amoled screen and the Galaxy uses the super Amoled screen.

All this new phone stuff and this thread has been interesting, at least to me, so perhaps we should start an "Phone & Apps" sub forum...would it be of interest to others?

Yip its the same in all of the rural parts in AUS.

Optus/Vodafone share quite a few of the same towers/equip which is why they magicaly provide the same crap level of service. They have the option of using som Telstra towers but choose not to as the backhaul connection (back into there own networks) is to expensive in alot of parts.

I HATE TELSTRA... but should point out that the difference between Telstra and any rival is VERY VERY noticeable in rural Qld... Telstra (and again I HATE TELSTRA) is the only carrier that gets full coverage even in the township of Mackay where I live.... So as much as I HATE TELSTRA... all our phones are with them.

Winsor68

Guest davidh10
My Desire has the Amoled screen, have they changed this on newer releases?

It appears that due to lack of supply of the AMOLED screen, HTC changed in later builds to the Sony Super LCD Refer Wikipedia entry. Also refer AusDroid.net

It seems the Sony is better for battery life and angle of view, but not for picture quality as it has reduced contrast.

Guest davidh10
All this new phone stuff and this thread has been interesting, at least to me, so perhaps we should start an "Phone & Apps" sub forum...would it be of interest to others?

Sounds good to me. From what I currently know, there's quite a few good apps for iPhone, but the apps available for Android is much less known. Also, there's most likely hundreds of crap apps out there, so getting a review of apps that members have tested could be a useful knowledge-base.

Of course once I own one, I'll be tempted to have a go at writing an app. Done some research and it's a fair learning curve, but sounds like a good challenge for all that spare time I don't have :black_eye:

Sigh

Yup. I bought an unlocked phone from the UK then put in a sim card from TPG.'Bloatware' is a term commonly used to describe extra programs installed by companies before sale - davidh10 defined it well. I didn't want a Telstra 'branded' phone with extra Telstra additions that I didn't really feel I needed - extra price, less memory on phone, not for me. If I wanted a phone that had been messed with and locked in by a company/carrier I would've looked at an iphone :stirring pot:

hello Darkly, Bloatware is a term I also use with Gaye Abandon but your use appears to be a bit driven by an anti Telstra attitude rather than knowlege. You haven't, for arguments sake, enumerated those applications you don't like or consider inappropriate, too big etc. and suitable alternates.

You have bought a fone on the web, I have done that before today but it isn't totally fit for the purpose and unlikely to connect to the telstra country network (where most cross countys go)

As for buying stuff offshore, it is hard enough to get service on locally purchased stuff without loading the dice up on stuff bought overseas. complex electronics can be just a little too difficult when it drops its guts at midnight and the local distibutor (who owes you nothing) and your offshore supplier don't want to know you.

This message has been brought to you by your friendly Electrical, communications and IT Engineer (with over 40 years in the business) and who needs his children to describe the new soft facilities of fones but is extremly skeptical of their recommendations, because these are from one of their friends who is also 14.

cheers :stirring pot:

Col

Edited by Ian due to antagonism towards another site user

Bloatware is a term I also use with Gaye Abandon but your use appears to be a bit driven by an anti Telstra attitude rather than knowlege. You haven't, for arguments sake, enumerated those applications you don't like or consider inappropriate, too big etc. and suitable alternates.You have bought a fone on the web, I have done that before today but it isn't totally fit for the purpose and unlikely to connect to the telstra country network (where most cross countys go)

Do you work for Telstra? It sounds like it.

I simply said that it had programs added by Telstra that I didn't feel I needed, simple as that. I was merely pointing out that (1) Telstra adds applications etc to their phones and (2) there was an alternative. Each to their own on app requirements/likes etc.

As for buying stuff offshore, it is hard enough to get service on locally purchased stuff without loading the dice up on stuff bought overseas. complex electronics can be just a little too difficult when it drops its guts at midnight and the local distibutor (who owes you nothing) and your offshore supplier don't want to know you.

Perhaps surprisingly, I am not a fool and I am not inexperienced with buying electronic products from overseas. I do research (horrifying isn't it) to ensure that the warranty will be valid here in Australia and I will still be able to access support and service facilities and I assumed others considering buying from overseas would do their own research before purchasing.

Don't complain to us about the lack of alternative service in your area complain to the providers or to the ACCC or to the Minister. It is not a Telstra dastardly trick being pulled but a dastardly trick by to carriers who won't provide you with services. Your Telstra phone works doesn't it? The carriers don't "get" a service, they either they provide one or they don't. Go whinge to Optus just don't whinge to me!!!

I wasn't whingeing to you coljones... unless this is an advertisement for Telstra in which case I recommend you take out advertising. This is a Recreational Flying forum... I suggest you leave your work at work.

The reason I hate Telstra is not because of the coverage... it is because of the... what word best describes it... abysmal customer service I have received over many years of being a faithful Telstra country customer solely because there is no competition for coverage in the rural areas I have lived. This of course is my personal opinion based upon my personal experience. Having had no experience with the other carriers I cannot comment, but have heard similar stories of difficult customer relations with them all... and most particularly about their abysmal signal coverage. If I was a Vodafone or other phone customer I would probably hate them too.

In my opinion we are being sorely serviced by telecommunications companies in Australia.

Regards

Was this an "Import" or a Sync? The manual suggests it is an Import. You can also export, but there's no mention of bidirectional record level synchronisation? ie edit / create / delete records on both PC and phone, then synchronise to exchange changes.The Desire allows you to set the conflict resolution to keep one or the other. No mention of the Palm method of duplication and notification, so you don't lose the edits in either source.

PS. "BloatWare" is just a colloquial term used to describe overly large, or unwanted software that you are usually stuck with to obtain the desired function. In this case, Telstra apps that the person does not want. As in second hand markets, someone's trash is another persons treasure :)

Yes David...it does Sync not just import...I waited to respond to your question to make sure it did.

Up until the other day I always had my phone and my HP Ipaq...the Ipaq was great for having a bigger screen then a phone plus with the transcribing s/ware in Word, Excel etc and with keeping contacts sync'd with Outlook but it is old technology now unless you bought a new one...you would still have to have a phone so that opens up more options like Blackberry etc but all with small screens which are no good for taking notes in meetings etc.

Here is the screen of the Samsung equivalent of iTunes...it is called Kies and comes with the Samsung phone...you can see the "info" screen on contacts:

[ATTACH]11689.vB[/ATTACH]

pencil.png

zzz1.thumb.jpg.c0cfd82526a901598691ac8a44899b33.jpg

The more i'm learnin here.............the more i'm confused ( poor ol russy :confused: )

androids,apps etc etc.........................all i want isa bottle of milk:big_grin:

Ok...............best "all round package".............is.........

HTC desire...........galaxy.......or that 3rd one.

keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gifkeen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif

Guest davidh10
...Oddly enough, I still get Foxtel through Telstra because for some utterly incomprehensible reason, Foxtel/Telstra have brilliant customer service.

Telstra outsources customer service on some products. This can be good or bad depending on the outsource company. This is why the customer service varies greatly across different products. I'm not going to be specific as I don't wish to comment on service levels.

Guest davidh10

Thanks Ian, for your response on the Samsunk Sync and "Kies". Yes, I read about it but it wasn't specific in any of the documentation.

After some further research, I've bitten the bullet and bought an HTC Desire from a Telstra dealer on Pre-Paid. The contract just didn't make any sense for my usage, which will be mostly data. I don't understand Telstra's thinking on their contracts for the high end smartphones. There's not nearly enough data included and zillions of phone calls that I could never use.

By the way, the dealer told me that the HTC Desire is not supported on any other network in Australia for four months (Telstra exclusive), so even if you get an unlocked one and put another carrier's SIM in it, it apparently won't work yet.

Of course once you select the Desire Model, you have selected the network. You cannot change carriers to / from Telstra due to the different 3G radio band used in regional areas. So, mine is a Telstra phone and will be on NextG (a cunning marketing name for a late entry to 3G) once I activate and retrieve my phone number from Virgin.

My choice has been based on network coverage (from first hand experience, not here-say), purity of the O/S in the phone (ie not two app streams), plus my requirements for a device that do not include video calls, connection to television or other entertainment devices etc.. There's also a prevailing suspicion that the Samsung has some magnetometer / gps issues experienced by some customers and so far it has not been determined whether it is hardware or software. Refer user comments in Whirlpool and other sources. Early HTC Desires also had a GPS issue, but was fixed by a patch, so current stock should be fine and if not the patch is on the Australian HTC web site.

So I'll let you know how I go after I get it up and running and transfer all my Palm, OutLook and other data. BTW, it comes native with only a 2GB SD card, so that will get me off and running but I'll have to get a bigger one in the near future.. It takes up to 32GB.

By the way, the dealer told me that the HTC is not supported on any other network in Australia for four months (Telstra exclusive), so even if you get an unlocked one and put another carrier's SIM in it, it apparently won't work yet.

That is misleading and deceptive conduct because it is wrong, wrong and more wrong. Lots of people, not just me, have bought Desires from overseas and put them on other carrier's. There's whole threads about it on Whirlpool forums, plus my own experience.

Unlocked Desires do work on other carrier's sims in Australia right now.