SPL application

When I (eventually) do this cert test and (hopefully) pass, I'm planning to start navs pretty soon after.

I'm planning to move to GA for navs. I figure that I'd be converting to PPL straight after I got my XC endo, so I may as well save time and do GA now and automatically get my XC endo when I get my PPL.

Anyways, my question is: do I need a SPL to start the conversion onto Warriors? At what point do you need to have the SPL? I'm considering applying for it in the next week or so, then it'll be processing while I'm finishing this bit (at this rate, I'd get the SPL back before I get to do this test! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

So, d'u reckon this plan to apply for my SPL now/soonish is a good idea or a waste of time/money?

Yeah just apply for it now it's only $50......

But you will need to get a medical certifiicate too, which, unfortunately is not as cheap!

Hey Darks...

Allow at least 6 weeks for the SPL to come through - send application registered posts for best results I found out afterward.

You'll need an ARN first as Blackrod states - costs nothing.

ASIC unfortunately

And the Medical, which is the most exy of them all.

You will/should (I'm not sure on that one) be able to start your training without all these though, but it wouldn't hurt to start applying for them all as they do take a while to process.

ARN application form

ASIC application form

RAA ASIC application form

SPL application form

Medical examiner list

Hope that helps.

Chin up :big_grin:

Gee you're a helpful young lad Tomo!

.....I should have shopped around for my medical, I did it at Jindalee, can't remember how much it was exactly but well over $200 just for the consultation! Ouch.

But may I add - it was all worth it to be able to fly.

Thanks for the replies all.

Few questions:

Do I need a medical before I can put the SPL application in?

Would it just be easier to get an ASIC from CASA with the SPL?

Or do I apply for the SPL (which includes an application for ASIC and ARN I think?) and then once that comes through I get the medical?

Basically, what's the order I should be doing things in?

Gee you're a helpful young lad Tomo!.....I should have shopped around for my medical, I did it at Jindalee, can't remember how much it was exactly but well over $200 just for the consultation! Ouch.

But may I add - it was all worth it to be able to fly.

Thanks Dave, I try to be.

I payed 300 something for my initial consultation, said it is cheaper at renewals though.

Yes it is worth it indeed.

Do I need a medical before I can put the SPL application in?

No, you can apply for the SPL without a medical.

Would it just be easier to get an ASIC from CASA with the SPL?

I know this sounds bad, but I wouldn't go through CASA for your ASIC, but that's just me! But it would no doubt be easier sending it all together, so maybe it is better.

Or do I apply for the SPL (which includes an application for ASIC and ARN I think?) and then once that comes through I get the medical?

I seems you can send the ARN form with the SPL form as it states here - Note: If you do not have an ARN, you must submit Form 1162 (Aviation Reference Number

(ARN) Application) including appropriate identification with this application.

So I'd probably do that.

You need the ARN for the medical, so you will have to wait till that comes through to do it.

You can do the Asic and medical forms at the same time, l did.

Cost $200 for the medical, Doc said l might get a please explain about the morphine use in the past 6 months.

Never did, they must have read that l had both hips replaced.

regards Bruce

Many people have had bad experiences with ASIC's through CASA - better to go through one of the other suppliers such as ID Australia or RAAus if you want it this side of Christmas.

But I'd start now with the ARN/SPL application (BTW, not a bad idea to get an ARN anyway - I applied for one at the same time as I joined RAAus so I could order online from CASA).

See, the thing I'm wondering is, for the SPL application you either have to attach a certified copy of an ASIC you already have, or apply for one with the application. Which presumably means that if I decided to get one through RA-Aus I'd have to wait for it to be processed and arrive before I can send in the SPL application.

Which do you think would be quicker, getting the ASIC through RA-Aus then applying for the SPL (hopefully meaning that the processing time for the SPL would be quicker than if I applied for an ASIC through CASA), or apply for it all at once from CASA?

Ok, I'm just having a look at the forms from CASA and now I'm hideously confused. Half the things seem to go in circles.

For example, the ASIC from says: "CASA will only issue an ASIC to a pilot if they have a current medical certificate, or CASA has an application for the initial issue or renewal of a medical certificate."

So I need a medical to get an ASIC. But to get a medical I need an ARN. I was under the impression that you applied for the ARN with the SPL application, and applied for the ASIC at the same time. So do I apply for everything at once (SPL, ASIC, ARN) then get the medical when I get the ARN, tell CASA I've got the medical then they send me the SPL and ASIC or what?

Plus this bit confused me: "CASA will only issue an ASIC to a pilot if they need to fly to or from a security designated airport that has regular public transport operations." and "You must have an operational need to have an ASIC. This includes having a valid flight crew licence, a current medical certificate, and a need to fly into or from a security controlled airport that has regular public transport operations."

So it sounds like you'll get an ASIC only if you're going to be flying to or from those airports. But the SPL form says: "If you do not have a current ASIC/AVID, you MUST submit an ASIC or AVID application form attached to this application." So it seems that you get an ASIC as part of the SPL even though you may not be flying into/out of those particular airports. Sounds slightly indescisive really... i_dunno

Guest basscheffers

Anyone can get an ARN at any time. Just get one and you are in the system within a few days. Then as cficare suggested put in applications; if they need more they will ask.

And use email for queries, they are very responsive (<24h) and you don't **** them off by calling them and making them drop whatever they were doing.

Ok, I'm just having a look at the forms from CASA and now I'm hideously confused. Half the things seem to go in circles.For example, the ASIC from says: "CASA will only issue an ASIC to a pilot if they have a current medical certificate, or CASA has an application for the initial issue or renewal of a medical certificate."

So I need a medical to get an ASIC. But to get a medical I need an ARN. I was under the impression that you applied for the ARN with the SPL application, and applied for the ASIC at the same time. So do I apply for everything at once (SPL, ASIC, ARN) then get the medical when I get the ARN, tell CASA I've got the medical then they send me the SPL and ASIC or what?

Plus this bit confused me: "CASA will only issue an ASIC to a pilot if they need to fly to or from a security designated airport that has regular public transport operations." and "You must have an operational need to have an ASIC. This includes having a valid flight crew licence, a current medical certificate, and a need to fly into or from a security controlled airport that has regular public transport operations."

So it sounds like you'll get an ASIC only if you're going to be flying to or from those airports. But the SPL form says: "If you do not have a current ASIC/AVID, you MUST submit an ASIC or AVID application form attached to this application." So it seems that you get an ASIC as part of the SPL even though you may not be flying into/out of those particular airports. Sounds slightly indescisive really... i_dunno

You can apply for the ARN, SPL and ASIC at the same time. Just send all your forms/doco's in together.

CASA will send you your ARN, then SPL and lastly your ASIC. I very recently applied and the hole process took about 6 weeks. You dont need the medical certificate to apply for the 3 things above.. I havnt got mine yet.

Was quite disapointed after recieving the SPL, was expecting something for $50...

$160 gets you a shiny card atleast.

Oh yeah in regards to calling, I rekon CASA is quite possibly the best gov org in AUS. Staff are always very friendly and helpful.. I called a few times :P

dont want to hijack.... :) but while were talking about medical certs... can someone who's gotten a class2 recently tell us about what happens during the test with the docter please ? Im guessing you just chat about your family history and stuff ? and do all the normal sorta tests... eye, reflex etc etc ?

Oh yeah do they take your blood ? I dont like neeedles :( had a bad exp once when I was like 6 by some pycho injection nurse

They can have my urine... but the bloods mine !

dont want to hijack.... :) but while were talking about medical certs... can someone who's gotten a class2 recently tell us about what happens during the test with the docter please ? Im guessing you just chat about your family history and stuff ? and do all the normal sorta tests... eye, reflex etc etc ?Oh yeah do they take your blood ? I dont like neeedles :( had a bad exp once when I was like 6 by some pycho injection nurse

They can have my urine... but the bloods mine !

Hey Justin, sorry to inform you, but yes they take your blood (think of it in a way that at least you must be worth something if 'they' want it!!)

The blood is probably the most important thing in diagnosing if you're good or bad quality! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Yes chat about your health history, whether you have ever stolen and taken drugs and or if you still do... if you smoke, drink, have fits... bla bla bla (don't worry it's only about half an inch of paper!)

An ECG to check if you are actually a living being. Stand on one leg and watch his pencil, He gets you to put your index finger onto his, then close your eyes and and remove it, then try and find his finger again with your finger but with your eyes still closed (pretty cool that bit). The Irish something or rather he calls it.

Get your weight, read the eye chart, blood pressure... etc etc

All pretty good fun, if you have a doc with a bit of humour...

You'll be right, just tell the nurse you faint when you get needles... and they get a few more nurses to watch you 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Ps. Ensure you get your jelly bean after the needle !!

i've never done bloods/ecg for class 2 medical....for a class 1..yes!

Apparently they do it now for your initial one... was comforting to know I got a heart I guess.

I don't think you need a medical to get an ASIC, I let my medical run out and still got an ASIC no problems, except the expense.

Yes correct, I had my ASIC more than a yr or more before I got the medical.

Well I did get to fly. However I was a bit rusty, flew like crap and (as I feared I might, with my luck) have to do another hour before I can go for my test 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Hang in there Darky, the light is at the end of the tunnell, your so close.Not long now.