Time to get back into flying

You all know that when you have time you don't have the money but when you have the money you don't have the time which has been my case of late. Finished my first week in my new job and yes, I am going back for a 2nd week 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif so I can get back into flying.

I need to do my BFR and I haven't done any flying for some time as I couldn't afford it. I am too heavy to go 2 up in the Gazelle (MTOW 520kg and I am 110kg) and besides it is at Bacchus Marsh so a Snr Instructor or CFI would have to travel there for me anyway, so I have to do it in another aircraft which will take some hrs to get back into it. I am endorsed in Jabiru, Gazelle and CT so perhaps a Tecnam or something else may be the go.

BUT, perhaps this is the opportunity to get a Trike endorsement or perhaps a Tail Dragger and seeing I will be spending the money for a few hrs doing a BFR, it may be a better investment in one of those. I also want to try a powered chute but that won't help me at the moment.

The other issue is location. In the burbs of Melbourne I am limited to what is available unless I make a weekend of it and drive out a bit but then the weather may make that a bad investment.

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions...thanks

Thanks Dazza...just thought that if I was going to do 3 or so hrs in an aircraft to get back into it and do my BFR I might as well spend those 3hrs towards an endorsement of say a Tail Dragger.

Love to CFI but you could book it all and the weather lets you down.

Spoke to Lee (RAAus Ops Mgr) and he advises that I can do my BFR whilst I am getting endorsed in a Trike (RAAus one) so I think I will do that.

Any suggestions on a Flight School in Vic for Trikes...apparently there are 3 at Bright/Porepunka and there is the one at Yarrawonga. I prefer to support Forum Members so anyone here from those or any others?

Guest Crezzi

I think most of the trike schools around Bright might be HGFA rather than RAAus. Peter McLean at Yarrawonga is RAAus though - PM davidh10 as I think he trained there.

Alternatively get out of that cold weather & do it on holiday somewhere warmer !

Getting your trike endorsement will certainly count as a BFR but it will definitely take longer - see the various other threads on hours required for 3-axis to weightshift conversions ;-)

Cheers

John

Guest MackAgri Aviation

BFR in what you know

G'day Ian

I would suggest that, as you have not flown for a while, you do your BFR in an aircraft you are (were) familiar with. This would be the quickest (cheapest) way to get back flying.

You will probably have to confront the weight problem in whatever RAA aircraft you fly.

Step 1. Lose weight (sorry, that's a bit rude)

Step 2. Find a light SI/CFI

Step 3. Use minimum fuel required for the sortie.

By all means do a tailwheel endorsement, its a lot of fun, but it will probably take more than 3 hours if it is done right.

David

(2000+ hours in RH seat)

I reckon do your BFR in a 3 axis, otherwise it's just gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

Tail draggers are good fun!

I reckon find a J230, and do your BFR in that, something that will handle the weight no worries, and will have similar landing characteristics to what you're originally used to.

Which ever way, have fun!