What do you pay for Hangar Space???

Mick

That's a good deal. I hear though that the ESL drome will be ramping up in the future wth basic training being moved down from Tamworth all meaning the restricted airspace is going to be more of a pain. I looked at a property recently at Seaspray and before I flew into the strip I chatted to ESL OIC where he mentioned getting access to this property won't be forthcoming as easily as it is now, interesting times ahead, glad I never bought the place?

Howdy Capt Wally

Most of my flying is on the weekends anyway an the rumour is they won't be activating weekends, same as it is now

I still manage 100hrs a year with the airspace active during the week

I think I know the property you were thinking of buying with the strip on it as I've flown over it many times

It's about 3 kms north of Seaspray off the Seaspray - Sale road

• Like 1

Howdy Capt WallyMost of my flying is on the weekends anyway an the rumour is they won't be activating weekends, same as it is now

I still manage 100hrs a year with the airspace active during the week

I think I know the property you were thinking of buying with the strip on it as I've flown over it many times

It's about 3 kms north of Seaspray off the Seaspray - Sale road

I fly from Gawler inside Edinburgh airspace. They have 3 restricted zones above us, but usually only activate 1 so we get 4500 agl, and only once a week they activate down to 2500. Airfield has a good relationship with the RAAF and gliding operations (Usually get a release to 8500ft). As for cost of hanger, ranges depending on owner but I hear somewhere around $100 to $150 mth but there is airfield rules around what can be kept onsite.

I fly from Gawler inside Edinburgh airspace. They have 3 restricted zones above us, but usually only activate 1 so we get 4500 agl, and only once a week they activate down to 2500. Airfield has a good relationship with the RAAF and gliding operations (Usually get a release to 8500ft). As for cost of hanger, ranges depending on owner but I hear somewhere around $100 to $150 mth but there is airfield rules around what can be kept onsite.

scre80

You are so lucky over at Gawler

The RAAF here own the airspace from surface to 45000 ft for 20nm then from between 4500 to 45000 ft from 20nm out to 50nm and we don't have one thing based here that fires a shot, CT4's, PC9's and Kingair 350's, we do get the occasional F18 and C17's as well as the other VIP jets on rare occasions, we do have a bombing range inside the 20 mile but haven't had the windows rattle for over 10 years

The RAAF won't stop us flying if they are active as they have asked us to call them up for a clearance, the RAA is what stops me when the RAAF are active as we are not allowed to fly in controlled airspace ( but East Sale is classed as restricted airspace so it could be a grey area)

I just don't fly because I'm concerned more about if I put down for some reason my insurance might not cover me if I'm flying out when they are active

That's the one. Not too sure if it sold or just got pulled off the market. Had a small older style kit type home that was very dated, a couple of hangars one built next to the house.Was over priced really for what you where getting (even the agent said it was too dear). 500M (at a stretch) strip that was from fence to fence with trees & power lines to juggle, not good unless you have a STOL type machine. The RAAF guys where great, spoke to a couple of diff departments to make sure I was allowed in during the week. No problems at all, couldn't have been more helpful & I am glad the OIC told me about what the future might be like IE lots more airspace activation 7 days per week as required. That actually put me off the purchase of the place, that & the mossies!...lol

Had great potential if it where in another area.

Well we are hearing different stories then

We have been told they won't be activating weekends as it is now

I think in the 13 years I've been flying out of here I think the have activated 3 times for a short period to let something in

The Roulettes when coming back in from weekends away just come in on the CTAF and the airspace doesn't activate

Few weekends ago we got an email from the RAAF advising us they were going to activate the airspace for 1 1/2 hrs to allow the roulettes a practice session on a Saturday morning which they did from 7:30 till 9am

As I said I pay nothing but I do a lot of maintenance on the strip at my own cost ,I have had one of u report back to Gary complaining

about my comment,

I have spent many a day Mowing the Hole strip as well as many others hangars over a 11 years, I use my own gear in including Posi track Loader and Tip truck which i transport in my truck at my own cost doing odd jobs to cover the cost of Hangar

I allso have run a Flyin Drive in BBQ at my own cost and all the setting up done bye myself & Wife and newel ..

So to the person who as complained to Gary before you shoot your mouth off get the facts !

Cheers Doug Evans

I can confirm that the rely by Doug is correct. He is a complete aviation mate up our way and a true ambassator for the airfield, airmanship, getting the work done and always willing to help or lead with local matters. And if you fly a Lightwing that's Gold to him. You've always got my support and vote Doug. Cheers Mike 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

scre80You are so lucky over at Gawler

The RAAF here own the airspace from surface to 45000 ft for 20nm then from between 4500 to 45000 ft from 20nm out to 50nm and we don't have one thing based here that fires a shot, CT4's, PC9's and Kingair 350's, we do get the occasional F18 and C17's as well as the other VIP jets on rare occasions, we do have a bombing range inside the 20 mile but haven't had the windows rattle for over 10 years

The RAAF won't stop us flying if they are active as they have asked us to call them up for a clearance, the RAA is what stops me when the RAAF are active as we are not allowed to fly in controlled airspace ( but East Sale is classed as restricted airspace so it could be a grey area)

I just don't fly because I'm concerned more about if I put down for some reason my insurance might not cover me if I'm flying out when they are active

We still have all them fly in and out, mostly the P8 and PC3 plus c17. But they let us have the airspace which is great. I think only 3 times in the past 10 years I hear have they activated from sfc up. We are respectful not to breach airspace, if you have a look at Gawler, you can see how tight we have it, especially on RWY 13 / 31

• 2 weeks later...

My aircraft is based at a farm / club single grass strip with 6 other users. The charge is £25.00 per month all in and we all muck in to cut the grass with our gang mower.

Otherton airfield, which I personally started in late 1991, is a much better site, as it has four reasonable grass runways, ie 450 metres with no fences around the site, and a shorter strip also, at 220 metres, useable in strong winds. There are no 'Rentable' hangars, you have to build your own, or pay to have one built. We started off with a series of agricultural steel hoop and vinyl covered 'Poly Tunnels' but these are now discontinued, as the damn poly blows off every winter, and most of the remaining ones have been re-roofed with steel cladding.

We have a back to back, interlocking block of 16 'Tee' hangars, mostly with concrete floors. Then another line of six at the other end of the airfield these are being built for around £5,000.00 per at the moment and there is room for another six. The lucky people who get the 'End' hangar in a block are allowed to build a matching storage shed to fill in the corner gap !

We were forced to use the 'Tee' configuration due to the Planning permission allowng only a fixed area per unit in square metres., so the back to back interlocking was a good idea. The charges there are, £330 per annum 'User Fee' and the ground rent is £30.00 per month, but two months are deducted if the lot is paid in one lump. The fees all go to the Lease management company to be passed on to the Landowner. It just about breaks even. Outside 'Tiedown' is permitted, although mildly discouraged due to security and the possibilty of weather damage.