From Tumut to The Roof of Oz.

Ultralights

after departing Tumut fly-in on Sunday morning, i fulfilled a long time dream of mine, to fly over the roof of OZ in Mid winter.

fortunately the weather gods were smiling, perfect weather over the alps, Scattered cloud to the west, Nil wind, and 2 metres of fresh snowfalls the previous 2 days.

ill let the pics do the talking.

Departed Tumut, on climb to 7500, direct to Khancoban. Snow already on the higher ground around Tumut

with Khancoban off the right wing tip, we turned South East and headed for the highest peak in sight, Mt Kosciuszko. The great Dividing range living up to its name, Scattered CU on the western side stopped by the Main Range peaks.

Looking East towards Charlottes Pass from above Mt Tate

Charlottes Pass at the head of the valley.

The view out to the right, Mt Kosciuszko itself. holding the cloud back.

looking North from overhead Mt Townsend, Yep, thats the Snowy River in the valley.

Front Valley, Perisher Ski Resort.

overhead Perisher, looking towards Blue Cow and Guthega. can you spot Guthega Dam?

From Blue Cow, tracked south to Charlottes pass as can be seen here

Charlottes, Via Mt Kosciuszko. lone track to the peak.

Turning east, Looking at Thredbo and the Thredbo Valley

tracking along the Thredbo Valley to Jindabyne, looking west into the Perisher Valley and the view North.

Overhead Jindabyne

Turning finals runway 18 Cooma for refuelling before the final leg to Wollongong.

looks like a fantastic flight,

Its a totally different world from what i get to see out the window, Mid Winter in the Pilbara, nice 22degrees, and nothing but red dust and rocks,

Awesome pics, would love to do a flight like that one day. very envious

Brilliant! Just brilliant photos there guys. :thumb_up:

Looks so much different from the air, and to think I've trekked all around there, but by foot! :ah_oh:

The OAT (im assuming that is Outside Air Temp) while flying over Kosiosko was -1. the cabin heat isnt great in our savvy but he were rugged up well so didnt feel the cold at all really. Or maybe we were so distracted by the scenery to feel the cold. either way it wasnt too bad at all.

Guest davidh10

Really nice pictures. I too thought the OAT would have been colder. -1 not that bad, although in a trike the fingers cop it worst.

The cabin heater is a duct/tube built into the muffler which then feeds into the cabin and diverted to an outlet above your feet and another towards the windscreen. normally the cabin heat works ok, as in there is plenty of hot air flowing through into the cabin, but due to a vent in the rear of the cabin,which creates negative air pressure in the cab, and therefore sucks in a lot of outside air through gaps above the doors, and in through the control stick. its this negative pressure that allows the cabin heat to work, just sadly, the warm air departs the cabin quite quickly, but it is noticable. once i track down and seal all the leaks, im sure it will work brilliantly.

OAT above Kosciuszko was only -1, we were dressed in warm clothes, with ski jackets and pants, and we were comfortable. though you could feel the cold air on your face and hands. well i did, as i was not wearing gloves. the OAT remained about 0 for the flight from the snow right up to descending into wollongong, we weren't uncomfortable.

gday, the camera isnt a trade secret, its a GoPro HD camera, mounted to the wingtip, set to take pictures every 2 seconds, then you edit all the thousands of pictures into a time lapse movie. the camera will also shoot in 1920X1080 video at 30 frames a sec, or 720 at 60 frames a sec, and a few other resolutions.

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ROB!

Thanks so much for posting it, we're all green with envy who were'nt with you:crying:051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif.

Having one of the nicest cabin heaters one could wish for, would have made the trip even "more special" :face and heart:.

The video clip was really something you should be justly proud of, and would have given so many of us a lot of happiness to see. Well done!

Kind Regards

Alan