Two escape from light plane crash

planedriver

Two people, a man in his 40s and a girl aged 16, have walked away from a light aircraft crash near Geelong.

A Rural Ambulance spokesman says the plane burst into flames after landing and was totally burned out.

It's believed the plane may have hit power lines as it was approaching Grovedale Airport around 11am (AEST).

The man suffered a cut to his head while the girl was complaining of chest pains.

These events are always sad to hear, but hopefully both P.O.B are OK.

We all know that power-lines can be hard to see, but if the electricity authorites don't provide markers, especially near airports, they have in my mind "failed in a duty of care" to take reasonable steps to minimise such events occuring.

I don't know whether markers were there in this case, or not, but I can foresee the day coming, when they will be taken to task in a court of law, and held somewhat accountable for similar unfortunate cases.

It is understandable, that they cannot cover every cable in the country, but I feel that a lot more could be done, without it costing bucket loads of money.

Power line markers

I went through this exercise at a rural airstrip in Qld - getting red ball markers placed on overhead powerlines.

They have to be approved and placed by the electricity authority, which took months, but the sticking point is that the landholders, over whose property they run, must sign an undertaking to relieve the authority of all liaibility and take that liability themselves. By placing markers on power lines the Authority is admitting there is a risk, and if there was a known risk, why didn't they do more to mitigate it (so runs the legal argument). So they try the argument - you want power, you take the risk. In rural areas power lines run as the crow flies, not along road reserve, and so this particular power line crossed two properties, one signed the other did not, so only one section of line is marked and it cost about $7,000.

At another airstrip the power authority erected a power line across the end of the strip (in the landing & take off slope) and would not do it underground as requested. They put 3 balls on it but it is still a significant hazard for landing or go-arounds.

So there's the dilema. If only the electricity authorities would make a policy that any line within cooee of the ends of an airstrip will be automatically marked, or the courts decided they were liable for accidents at UNmarked powerlines (so they rush out and mark), life would be a lot safer.

Sue

Agree absolutely, Sue. It really cannot be that difficult/expensive for power companies to put a few of those large red balls on power lines that run close to the end of an airstrip....

Maybe something for RA-Aus to lobby for.

Cheers

Neil

As far as who should pay it probably comes down to who was there first & whether we are talking private or public airstrips. Certainly at all public strips the Authority should do it unquestionably, however on private strips it is really a different matter. The power authority will have easements over the land thay traverse, a "technical ownership". I have 5 power line easements over my property which excludes me from doing certain things within 10 metres of either side of them. I have loosely discussed fitting balls with them on the 66KV line over my strip & I would be looking in the vicinity of $10K or more. So it's not happening. If anyone wants to land here they get a lecture (from me) on do's & don'ts regardless of what experience level they have. It is not something to take lightly.

The school kids regularly do it around my way with a pair of gym shoes.

Maybe you should get all visitors to toss a pair out on finals.

Just tell them not to get too close 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif037_yikes.gif.2082ee4b157a18e5ec01fc250b51372e.gif037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Guest basscheffers
I have loosely discussed fitting balls with them on the 66KV line over my strip

I am sorry, did you say OVER your airstrip!?

Do you have photos? Or even better: video?

As a person that used to fly from that airport. The approach is over powerlines and you land long on Runway. From memory the hazard is mentioned in Ersa. As it so happens this airport is closing and the housing developers are moving in.

aah, that's tough. In tassie this is done free of charge by our friendly power supplier. That's in the cases that I know of. I'm about to ask them to put some up for me so I'll let you know how it goes.

WEll I have just gone through this saga. I put 2 of 400mtr long airstrips on my property up at Booyal. Ergon energy are the provider around there. I spent over 10 years working for the SEQEB now Energex as electrical fitter mechanic and the last 2 years I was doing network switching out in the field right up to 66,000 volts. I also did a lot of "linework" etc so I know how the system operated within these organisations. I rang Ergon to get a price on putting 3 balls along the SWER line at the southern end of my property which is about 100 mtrs from the end of my strips. I know where the lines are but others dont so I thought it very prudent to at least have the lines marked for safety and my peace of mind for others who may use the strips.

The quote came back as

labor $1242.88

Materials 532.13

Capital allowance$ 2175.22

Total inc gst $2392.00

After sending a few emails back and forth and me spewing about 600 bucks for 3 plastic 300mm red balls the job was finally completed some time the before last Monday. I emailed twice to find out when it would be done but got no answer..I waited around 2 months just for the quote from Ergon then its been at least another month but I had to go up to the property last Monday and when I got to the gate I noticed the balls had gone up..they were not there 2 weeks before

here are a couple of pics..the angle I took the pics at dont quite show exactly where they are but there is one on my cross strip and the 2 together are on the main strip. My strip goes up and down with a hill in the middle and the house (next door) is about 100mtrs or so past the powerline. This line is quite low due to it being in the gully but I decided to put the balls on it any just to make sure it can be seen. The powerline is at the edge of my property fence. Pics were taken with a telephoto so objects look closer than they appear..you can see by one of the photos where my strip ends and how far away the next door neighbour is.

Mark

DSC_2796_1.thumb.jpg.e1b1be7e607c5e6f187c7da9c7f1f192.jpg

DSC_2798_1.thumb.jpg.ec5fb431a9ef4ca7e85fe900747310d6.jpg

DSC_2800_1.thumb.jpg.9b951655b41e2fb2f620cee5938ea9a1.jpg

DSC_2304_1.thumb.jpg.3f17b21990b99e811cad1ba851a3f025.jpg

I did a lot of my training out of Grovedale in 1968 and the power lines were ot the edge of the road reserve, the strip was mown right to the fence, but there was a displaced threshold marked out. Absolutely no problems, but visitors would invraiably have to add power at about 200' when they realised where they were aiming. I have many happy memories of Grovedale when it was Schutt aviation and the CFI was Aub Coote.

Over flew a neighbourly strip a while ago with wires a couple of hundred off the end and notiiced he had painted the power poles white with a couple of stripes at the top... Amazingly effective !! Stood out like the proverbial dogs b....s.

We were trying to get some balls put on the lines at the end of our strip (neighbour and I) but they reckoned the lines weren't strong enough to have anything on them, and they'd have to build another line next to it to hold the balls.

On the ABC News: You could see the Red balls on the ground near the Aircraft still with the wires running through them, Very lucky people to live through such an accident.

On building sites and some mine sites, I've seen long cylindrical black and yellow markers on power lines. They'd weigh nothing and can be fitted without cutting any wires.

That's what I tried telling them 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Guest shortstrip

A mate just happened to have some kids throw a sinker attached to fishing line over the lines at the end of his strip and hoisted some fertiliser bags up and then threw the sinker over a few more times, they were there for years - they never found them kids.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Rick

On building sites and some mine sites, I've seen long cylindrical black and yellow markers on power lines. They'd weigh nothing and can be fitted without cutting any wires.

I believe they call them "tiger tails", used to mark lines that may come into play with cranes, tip trucks etc on building sites or other places where work is taking place in close proximity to live lines. That said, you'd have to find someone prepared to sign off on semi permanent installation - might just be easier to have some kids act like little vandals:laugh:. Fertiliser bags huh:cool:

I was running a OHS workshop for Ag force in Queensland in 2009.. Part of this was the safety around powerlines presented by Ergon.

Basically - Talk to the local depo as they stock the white or red markers with reflecters (balls are not approved anymore as in high winds can damage the powerlines) and cost around $65 (they only charge the cost price). Fitment is free when the truck is next in the area. I can provide a contact at Ergon if anyone has a strip in Queensland with a powerline nearby. Same applies to farmers and farm equipment.

Expect a education about working around powerlines.

Hi Gibbo

Well I can tell you around the Bundaberg Childers area ERGON don't talk anything about being free. As in my post it cost me to get some balls on the SWER line and there was no talk about any other type of markers to be put on the line. Mine is a 11kv swer line and was done by a "live line" crew basically its a insulated cherry picker and they do it with special insulated sticks. I wish they would have done it for free for me and as far as cost price goes $600.00 for 3 of red plastic 300mm balls is pretty steep.

I know the line is there but I got it done just for other pilots and in case someone had a emergency and needed to put down on the strips to make sure it will be safe. To be honest I would have preferred the tiger tails spread along the mains but they are not the "approved" type for airstrip identification according to ERGON. They even have special forms for it which I had to fill out and provide distance measurement etc to where the balls had to be placed.

I even have a mate who is very high up in the organisation and I had a whinge to him about it...knowing he probably couldn't do anything anyway but at least it made me feel better :)....even he said they charge for everything nowadays because their budgets are so tough they have to make money where ever they can

Mark

From my point of view i'm happy that I made this post. It's getting a reaction which is what I wanted. I certainly hope that someone from the various energy authorities reads it too.

If they want to charge $600 for a pair of balls, they've got competition, from my local schoolkids who can supply a pair of smelly sneakers, dayglow painted, if necessary for $20 bucks installed----online.

C'mon, someone from the rip-u-off energy authority's. Someones got to read this post who can reply. We don't mind if your're speaking out of turn, providing we can get some action which might save live's.

I think the tiger tails set about 3 mtrs apart along the line/s would be a far better proposition.. After working in the electricity supply industry for 10 years and involved in the HV side tiger tails we used can be seen very well and to have them "gapped" like that on the mains would be much easier to see...the black/yellow or red/white either would be fine although my preference would be the black/yellow

Mark

Do not under any circumstances throw anything over a powerline like nylon fishing line. If you pull the lines closer together you will get a suprise you will not be able to tell anyone about. Electricity does not come down the line it just arrives without notice.