Fully enclosed drifter

oracle1

I am giving serious consideration to building a full enclosure for a drifter to reduce drag and increase comfort. I can think of one example that was built in the late eighties but it never gained popularity. Any thoughts from the panel?

Hi Oracle, who knows,it might work brilliantly,however,isn`t the openness of the Drifter it`s appeal.

I`ve been flying my Austflight WB Drifter for 25 years and years ago I tried to increase the height and width of the windscreen, to deflect the wind over my head,what I found was that this caused what appeared to be some cavitation of the prop and the AC just didn`t feel the same in flight,I had to reduce the height and width until I was satisfied.

I know of two other guys who tried the same thing on their Drifters and found the same problem.

Wayne Fisher,of Spectrum Aviation would be the most knowledgeable guy to ask.

Cheers,

Frank.

Enclosing...

I reckon you would need a bigger fin/rudder to retain the yaw control characteristics. If the whole thing is done neatly you might get improved airflow to the prop. sapphires were enclosed eventually.(There was the option). Nev.

• 6 months later...

my first thought of a reply went along the lines of "it would be like taking a shower with a raincoat on" and that brought back some pleasant memories

then i had a brain fade (all the blood rushed to another part of my body and there warn't enough left for normal funtioning)

sorry, just kidding, as Goose would say "I crack myself up, I really do"

the machine dazza38 is referring to is owned by Ian Walker, sorta makes his Drifter look like a F16

you could try to get in contact with him via the Flying Tigers website I guess

next time i'm at the Tigers hangar, ie. next time i fly, i could take some pix if ya like ??

but hey really, my opinion is that if ya want an aircraft with doors, buy a plastic parrot (or sumfin similar)

cheers

BP

You cannot make the Drifter too "clean" for speed. Not sure on 503/582, but with a 912 I can exceed Vne in level flight thus "cleaning it up" not rearly needed...personally I just love that open feeling.

On another note, increase/change to screen height effects wind to prop/tail...talk to Wayne first.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about an aircraft that has been built around the drifter boom and tail section. It is pretty much an enclosed drifter with a slightly smaller wingspan and a bit shorter nose to tail. I think it was called a Borabee not 100 percent sure. Was told it fly's very similar to the drifter but with an 75-80kt cruise.