Weekend camping airstrips in sqld and nnsw

ellpar

Does anyone happen to know of any quiet little bush airstrips in Southern Qld or Northern Nsw where a person can land and camp for a couple of days. A water hole would be good, some interesting country also good. Access to civilization not required. Look forward to hearing of anything you may have found.

Thanks, Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it Ok to camp on the strip at Boonah or is there somewhere in town?

Sure it is, for a aviator.Best to get there earlier, so greg is there.They have a bunk in the hanger for aviators, who have to bunk down for the evening.

Camping Strips

I was impressed with the set up at Commeroo Camel farm we stayed wednesday on the way back from FNQ.You need to book in If you fly over the homestead till they come out and wave they will come and pick you up.You can camp stay in a cabin and they will cater and provide refreshments in the mantrap bar for the all important post flight debrief.

Dave

Thanks for the info on Commeroo, sounds great, and thanks also for the invitations to Boonah. I have just completed a Savannah (flew for the first time on Thursday). I will be down to Boonah like a shot as soon as I can escape the test flying boundary. Only 21 hours to go.

Also Heck Field (Jacobs Well).

We have a very welcome invitation to come and stay in their new upstairs accommodation.

Call Roger Porter 3807 0790 or resident caretaker Clive 0403 038 239.

Guest Toally87

I could just see the faces of the people if you pulled up to the camp ground at somerset dam in and anphibian... nice campgrounds too.

I'm moving to toowoomba in a fortnight so i'm pretty keen to visit all of these places when i pick up my cheetah.

Hope to see you all out and about in the near future

Dave.

South Grafton Fly In.

Just returned from a great weekend fly in at South Grafton. Extremely hospitable folks run the Aero Club there and have 3 or 4 bunks in the flight hut plus shower and toilet. Contact John Gould

There was a 10 seater bus running all weekend to take interested folks into town for a tour of the Jacaranda lined streets. On Saturday night there was a B-B-Q, cold beer and wine and on Sunday morning a "big" breakfast to get you home on.

Can thoroughly recommend putting it in your diaries for the same weekend next year - it's the first weekend of the "Jacaranda Festival".

Plenty of room to camp, fuel available by prior arrangement and it is only a very short walk to pubs and restaurants if that is your fancy. When departing, a short flight up the Clarence River to Palmer's Island airstrip is a great scenic.

Top marks to the organizers at Grafton Aero Club!

I could just see the faces of the people if you pulled up to the camp ground at somerset dam in and anphibian... nice campgrounds too.Dave.

Unfortunately I don't think they allow aircraft on Somerset Dam......

But do drop in to Kilcoy airfield and show us your Cheetah.

Sunday is the day most of us are out there.

0429 943 508 for local info on the day.

JG

I double those comments on the South Grafton Fly In.

Not a great turn-out, considering the number of suitable aircraft within striking distance.

the rest of you really do need to make the effort next year, and join in the fun!

The more the merrier!

Always welcome new BS to add to the pile......

See ya there next year.

JG

Guest Toally87

JG, i thought that might be the case, a lot of submerged trees at any rate.

My family used to have a property at Villeneuve off neurum road, not far where shirl strachan crashed in 01.

Looking forward to getting back to the great south east after a few years in the north, i'll definately pop in one sunday.

Safe Flying

Toally

Dunwich on North Stradbroke Island has caravans and there is a resident caretaker who could probably give you a lift to Dunwich. From there you could go to the Little Ships Club on the water, or catch a bus to the beaches at Point Lookout. There is a regular weekend breakfast fly in.

There's a good grass strip at Yamba with a clubhouse and showers.

This is all fantastic information, if you know of anywhere at all don't hold back, let us know. We are currently working very hard on a new clubhouse at Gympie, hoping to provide a comfortable facility for visitors, as well as ourselves. There are usually some Gympie club members wandering around on the weekend, so drop in (preferably land gracefully) and have a yarn.

Peter

Guest Escadrille

Dave, When you move to Toowoomba get in touch and I will be happy to introduce you to some of the guys around here. Andy 0400472303

This is all fantastic information, if you know of anywhere at all don't hold back, let us know. We are currently working very hard on a new clubhouse at Gympie, hoping to provide a comfortable facility for visitors, as well as ourselves. There are usually some Gympie club members wandering around on the weekend, so drop in (preferably land gracefully) and have a yarn.Peter

G'dAY Peter, I'm up your way most Saturday's lately,instructing with Brett- I'll drop over next time and say Hi.:)

Neil.