Help/advice needed on BFR with complications

This post has been moderated to remove some named parties and events. - Mod

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been off the forums for ages, but I've been busy <insert other excuses here if thats not good enough :) >

I need some advice on an aeroplane/RAA/CFI problem.

I'll explain it.

I think most of the regulars on this forum know a bit about my history, but for newcomers, here's a breif syopsis:

I built my Cheetah when I was 20 (3 years ago) and thought it a great fun toy.

However, when you're a 20 year old country boy, toys are often pushed to extremes (like most boys do with utes and circlework etc, I had the same attitude to flying).

Unfortunately I had the stupidity to

a: let people on this forum know I was having a good time enjoying the more fun parts of flying

b: make a couple of errors of judgement and tried to get onto paddock strip in questionable weather and experience, and twice in a matter of months I did a nosleg. Never hurt myself, and no problems patching up the plane (this is why I bought a strong, safe-in-an-incident (won't roll over), easy-to-fix plane. Also this is why I wanted my own plane rather than using a club plane.)

Obviously those in charge never like things like this, so when I went for my next BFR they already were a bit stricter. Anyway, after that I shifted the plane to a better strip (Frogs Hollow), and operated out of there for a while with no incidents.

Last March I was all set to fly down to Avalon. I did a good pre-flight on her and noticed an oil cooler hose was slightly chafed. So I replaced it with a peice from AutoPro. I later found out that other people have also used after market hose with mixed success. It wasn't OK. It failed on me over Eden.

Revs dropped, smoke came from the engine, and oil pressure was gone.

With Merimbula airport in sight, I had to make a decision that I was unlikely to make it, so I turned engine off to minimise damage, and did my best with the beach. That story is told here Aslings plane crash - Local News - News - General - Magnet

The untold bit is that the damage was so minimal that I had her all good again by that afternoon. Put the old hose back on because it wasn't really all that bad (from advice from Jabiru). Did all tests that Jabiru recommended. Ground run the engine for 2 hours next morning. And according to the Jab tech team it SHOULD be right, BUT better off to circle an airstrip for about 6 hours.

OK, well I had returned the trailer, BUT we had a paddock that I had used before, although in the current weather (windy) I would have a hard job landing. 20 mins to Frogs Hollow over semi-OK country. I had it running for 2 hours. And I had mates depending on me getting to Avalon to get free tickts, and I was still on an adrenalin high from the day before.

I took off, Climbed to 2000 feet when it started missing and running rough. Not badly, but I wasn't going to risk it.

With serious fears, I came back to the same strip which I had done the earlier incidents in weather like this. (I also had used it a fair few times sucessfully, very weather dependant. Oh, and I'll admit my time on the plane was not enough to be able to optimise a landing where windshear is almost guaranteed)

Since I didn't want to depend on power for a go-round, I came in as slow as I could. And at 10 feet above the ground I was all on track nicely. But then the wind (or maybe just me. I'll admit it) dropped me. Ended up sliding into the fence with major airframe damage. Still not a scratch on me.

OK Now the interesting part:

So I meet Mick Poole at Avalon. I explained the story, and he still didn't seem very sympathetic and mentioned something about wanting a flight review done, and a bit of other things. I sent in accident/incident reports for both landings.

I had the engine inspected by Hawker Pacific, I gave it new pistons all around (BTW, original lack of oil scored the skirt, and then when I took off, enough oil got onto the plugs to foul them).

Rebuilt engine to Jabiru's recommendations (I'm a mechanic), and then did repairs to the airframe with advice from Garry Morgan (the designer).

Meanwhile I hadn't heard from Mick to know what exaclty he wanted, so I totally forgot that over the year it took to get everything done (I have less spare time than when I built it). So I renewed my license and rego, did a refresher flight with an instructor and had a good talk about flying. And then took my plane to Moruya, and repeated most of what I did in my original test flying. I wanted to build her a hangar at Frogs Hollow, so I put her in storage and have almost finished the hangar.

About a month ago Mick Poole writes to me to say words to the effect of "what happened to the review I asked for?" I tried to contact him to ask exactly what he wanted:

Full L2 inspection of plane BEFORE it flies

And full review of me. My testing instructor is to get special instructions from him.

OK, well I wanted a refresher flight. I haven't been up for over 6 months, and have forgotten a lot of habits etc. And my BFR needs doing. So no worries. I booked that in Moruya and was a bit worried that it had to be done with someone, whom I had never got along well with.

As for the L2 inspection I wrote to Mick pointing out the hours since, and that it had been repaired by the original builder to specs by the designer and manufacturer. Haven't heard from him.

So I get to Moruya yesterdayand feel that I was failed before I walked in. Which did nothing for me trying to remember everything which normally comes naturally.

OK, I admit my procedures were not the best, and there were a few things I had forgotten (such as all the aronyms in HASSELL. Mind you I still had all the elements of it).

But it doesn't excuse the reaction when I asked if it was normal and neccessary for a BFR to be in 2 flights, (the 2nd to cover nav). I have to drive an hour each way to airport, and make time for it, I had hoped they planned to do it in one section. Especially since my nav theory was learned to GA standards, and when doing prac, I could ded-reckon in flight to good accuracy when my instructor admitted that he does it all before hand because he has trouble doing it in flight. I have never come close to being lost. I turn the GPS off to save batteries often.

Back to the cockpit. The examiner was not saying more than a muttered instruction, which I would have to ask to confirm every time, and pouncing on me if the balance ball went out while I was distracted looking for planes before a turn or something, this wasn't looking very good.

We landed. In fact we had 25 kts gusting, and I was out of practise, so he took over controls and brought her down. Went to clubhouse and was told that he 'didn't want to continue' with my review and to get my next instructor to contact him to get the review so far.

So here I am.

There are plenty of local GA instructors who I could go flying with (and will, I want to get good again) but none can do an RAA review. I don't even know the next closest person who could. Probably Nowra, 3 hours plus drive away. Thanks.

Now does anyone have any comment? Is a BFR normally a 2 day thing? Are there any inspectors near the Moruya/Merimbula area? Should I be singled out to have my aircraft inspected by an L2 ? Am I being singled out? (NB, this wouldn't be too dificult to do, since I have been getting a LAME's advice on the rebuild anyway)

In my defence: My actions have not (physically at least) hurt anyone. Not even myself. The major incidents were not caused by incorrect action on my part. The first forced landing was done to very good success, the 2nd wasn't. But I stand by the fact that I made a clear decision to return to a strip where I knew the risk of damage was high, rather than attempt to nurse a sick engine to where I would have been assured of a good landing.

When I booked in my review, I told the instructor that it was both a review and a bit of a refresher since I hadn't been flying for 6 months. I do not consider myself in 'flying condition' and woudn't go without a bit of dual no matter what.

And the 'Mick's Special' part of the review was to include a blow by blow test of the ops manual. which never got done due to the examiner terminating the review.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joshua

Hi Joshua.

Welcome back.

No - a 2 day BFR is not normal. It would be part of Mick's special instructions for your re-education. I reckon you need to call Mick and tell him what went down at Moruya, and get his advice on what to do next.

Great that the hangar at Frog's is nearly there. It would be sweet to see you in the air again. With your new improved attitude and respect for the things that bite, you'll have a much better chance of surviving the fun bits.

Hope to see you there soon.

Ross

Hi Josh

Good to see you back on the forum, but must admit your post leaves me asking more questions than answers. Would it not have been a better idea to bite the bullet, brush up on your theory and invest in a couple of hours refresher training before attempting your BFR, knowing that you were out of practice, and with the chance that you may not pass?

Guest Toally87

Joshua,

In my opinion, If you have been told to get a review then you should have been told you exactly what needs to be covered, and discussed with your instructor and planned in advance.

as for the inspection the Lame giving you advice should be able to do it for you.

Hope you get a bit of help shortly and get back in the air safely and legaly.

Cheers Toally

Any advise would be appreciated.Thanks, Joshua.Hi Joshua,I can`t help your situation but as you are asking, just a little advice from someone who was a lot like you at your age.

In my opinion the system expects you to jump when they say jump and they expect you to say," How high Sir ".

It doesn`t pay to get offside with anyone, let alone the wrong people,the best you can do for yourself is to politely do what is required of you.It`s unfortunate but you will simply have to find a school with a CFI who will meet your needs .

Cheers and all the best to you,

Frank.

"Flying is easy,Crashing is hard."

Hullo Joshua

If you pop over to Wagga, I'll be happy to sort out your issues on the piloting side. Bring your log book, your pilot cert and an indication of current membership. If you would like to do this, please send me copies of all written correspondence with RAAus Ops (yours and theirs) so that I can sort it with them. That way, there will be no procedural dramas and we will know what we are to cover/achieve before we start.

Cheers Fred

Joshua,

It's really good to see you back on the forums. I find myself in a puzzling position as I have been critical of your approach in the past and I stand by those criticisms. I also admire the fact that you have achieved what so many on these forums can only dream of, myself included. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Perhaps the best advice I would share at this time is to echo Frank's (Farri) comments to politely jump through the hoops that are put before you. I really don't believe they are there to stuff you around but to ensure that you are safe for your sake and those around you. Given the attention you have drawn in the past, you will always fly in the radar for a while but I sincerely hope this quickly passes and we get to enjoy some of the most colourful flight reports getting around on the forums.

Look forward to hearing of good progress and since you were last on the forums, my family and I have moved to Temora. Would enjoy catching up in person if we get the chance.

Cheers, Mathew

Thanks everyone,

@ ViewfromRright, I know I needed a brush up, and I told Sheldon this when I booked it. I was fully prepared to do either a longer session or 2 for the sake of getting my flying back to level. I wouldn't want to go for a fly in my current state, no matter what any requirements are.

As for correspondance with Mick. I tried calling him almost every day for about a week, but he kept being in meetings and not returning my calls. So I had no idea from him on what the situation was. I never spoke to the Moruya CFI, since he hardly talks to me at the best of time, but the other instructor told me that he had booked me in at 2pm, and allowed the rest of the day for revision and theory test, and that I should brush up on the ops manual.

That was all I knew.

Thanks a lot to Nong, I really appreciate the offer, also to Motzartmerv who PMed me with a similar offer.

I have since found out that the CFI in Merimbula is RAA rated, and he thinks he can do it in a 150 (he is very GA and doesn't have an ultralight there).

I tried telling him to the situation and to contact Mick, but he was too busy telling me that while my flying standard was high enough last time we flew together, conversations on safety left him feeling that I had too little respect for my own safety etc.

Here's where I shut up and say "yes, you're right, no excuse, was a lot younger at the time etc." So when I have time I'll go do a check with him (next week sometime). Since I can't reach Mick (he still hasn't replied to my last email about the aircraft and inspection), and I don't think the CFI will, I'll just have to do a comprehensive, GA standard check, and brush up on all rusty skills, and take it from there.

I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for help,

Joshua

@Ignition

Obviously you know who I am talking about. I am not saying anything at all about his experience, he is a very good pilot, I know that. I have known him for a long time, since I call in at the aeroclub every now and then since most of the instructors have been friendly and good to chat to. Its a good way to keep up to date with aviation news etc.

Anyway, in that time, I have never had a conversation with CFI.

Before this flight, the last he spoke to me was to complain that I had left my car in his way while I was on a 2 day nav. Apparently he had to walk around it twice from what I gathered.

Everyone else was glad to see the plane was back up and all good.

So, when I say 'failed before walked in' it means that before I even got in the aircraft, I was getting roused at, and nothing to do with airmanship.

As for the test. I admit that I probably failed on some points. I have said that a few times. I know I need a good refresher. I'm not trying to justify myself there.

CFI hardly spoke to me the whole time, landed and said "I don't want to continue this review with you, I don't want to fly with someone with that attitude" (or something similar) And I can tell you I had my attitude well under control.

Maybe he thought I was questioning his instructions when he muttered "climbing stall to left" And I was only just caught it and was like: "Confirm, was that a climbing stall turn to right or left?" His reply was not exactly in a friendly tone.

I DID study my ops manual, and the latest VFG (even though I've been working away during the week and didn't have much time or books to do so)

And a lot of good it did me since CFI practically kicked me out of the clubhouse after that.

I went to Moruya for the test knowing it was with him. I did as was asked to the best I could understand, I paid for the flying time, (although all MY work comes with a satisfaction guarantee, and if you leave a job half finished in my line of work (carpentry) there's normally no pay).

After he told me that I hung around until the other instructor landed and I told him what happened and said "I don't care if you can't do the test as such, I want to get my flying standard back up, do you have time to do a refresher in anything with wings on it?" Unfortunately he was booked out.

My next move was to contact the Merimbula CFI, not knowing that he was RAA, I was just going to do an hour or 2 dual to get back flying. (a bit cheaper since it would be in a mate's 150 with only instructor time)

Before it all, I tried many times to contact Mick to find out the details and wasn't successful. No-one told me about the 2 times test until I was at Moruya. Well, I'm sort of busy. Book in a 2 hour session then. Heck, make it 3 to be safe. A flying hour isn't worth what a day off work and drive to Moruya is.

You still think I should take it as constructive critisicm?

I call it getting (snipped by mod) around. I was sent somewhere with no prior briefing, the CFI knows me (I did my last BFR with him) and I haven't changed. If he didn't want to do it, well then at least tell me before hand. Thats a lot spent for very little.

I STILL haven't heard back from Mick about getting an L2 inspection. So what the go is there I don't know.

Even when I posted the original thread, it got pulled for a day so the names could be taken out.

Anything else want to be against me?

I'm NOT claiming that

a: Mick is wrong to want a review (even though I've been through a few before. It still makes sense from his point of view)

b: I should have been passed by the CFI

Its perfectly understandable to want the review done. Its totally possible that my flying and theory is that rusty that I would fail. I am not questioning that. Even throw the OPS manual at me. And the CARs and CAOs if you want. I don't say I don't fear them, but I would understand it.

Just PLEASE don't (snipped by mod) me around like that.

I'll do the test with Merimbula CFI when I have time which is not this weekend :( and see what he says.

@cficare < I'll already appologise, I'm in a paraniod mood right now>

Since my earlier incidents (in which, I repeat, NO-ONE got injured) I have played reasonably above board. Is it 'pushing my luck' to have an engine failure? Is it 'pushing my luck to expect an engine which Jabiru gave a conditional OK, and has run for 2 hours to continue for 20 minutes more?

What was lacking in walking away unscathed from 2 engine failures in a row? Even if one damaged the plane.

Is it 'Pushing my luck' to get advice from all the experts I could find from Hawker Pacific, to Jabiru, to a Lame, to the designer, to do repairs?

Where did I push my luck when I got Mick's email and booked in a flight and turned up with a wallet of hard earned money to spend on half a day of revision and testing?

Seriously, is the whole thing really just normal and I'm the odd one out?

with all due respect,

Joshua

Ok, I'm listening. Can someone TELL me these decisions I've been making incorrectly?

Or shall I just keep getting encouragement in the form of telling me to get some more training and then killing myself? (I know thats purposely mis-read)

Did anyone read the bit where I booked in for lessons/refresher? Maybe I forgot to mention that if I haven't been flying for a while I will always get a review done in any case. Last one was with the other instructor at Moruya who's a good bloke, checked me out in 0.7 hour and then had a beer together and talked about what I need to work on etc.

So where's all the wrong decisions?

Not knowing you mate I reckon you've done nothing wrong. I can't see how others could think you had. I don't know the CFI in question but if what you say is true about him then I reckon he was being very unprofessional and should maybe take a look at the way he deals with people.

As far as I'm concerned your flying/decisions all seem very reasonable and the action you took afterwards seems reasonable as well.

Keep up the good work I say!

Biggles....it sounds like there is a little bad blood, and it is being dragged out. Past mistakes aside (I challenge anyone to say that they didn't do a few silly things when younger, whether by car, bike, plane or hormones...), the important thing is to find a place that you can get checked out fairly. Maybe it is worth making the trip to another school, just so it is a clean start.

Probably the best thing for you is to make it happen, and move on from the whole experience a little wiser.

Guest burbles1

If anyone is snubbing you, it is your responsibility to find out why. Get a clear answer from them. A rookie pilot with the experience of a few incidents in a short period is looked at as a high-risk pilot. It is understandable that some don't want to help, as it could be seen to encourage reckless behaviour. We don't want to lose pilots, whether that is through inattention in servicing by using the incorrect parts, or deliberately bad decision-making in flight.

Don't ever take shortcuts and rush to get back in the air. There may be some attitude issues that only others are the best judge of - really do listen to others. Some people may not be cut out for flying until later in life. I was a rev-head til my late 20s, for instance, when I stopped having so many car accidents.

Ignition, I disagree. Communication in the cockpit is very high in a training situation. It is entirely upto a CFI to ensure they are clearly understood.

What alluded here is, a "special review" mandated by the Ops Manager. A young pilot who has come to the attention of the Ops manager needs to be handled well. There should be no making it harder when trying to get a good picture of a pilots skill or attitude. Add to this a standoff by a CFI and non communication from the Ops manager is no way to get anyone back on track.

I think Nongs offer is the best course. A CFI with no previous skin in the game and open communication between Pilot, RAA and CFI to ensure safety and compliance.

regards

Chris

Guest burbles1

And perhaps an expert in Human Factors training would be good. Piloting isn't all about absorbing facts and figures from the Ops Manual - good decision-making is essential, as is IMSAFE checks. Human Factors really should be the first consideration here.

I havn`t read anwhere in this thread where anyone has said,"go somewhere that will let you pass" and I think that it is ridiculous and wrong to make the assumption that anyone has.

It is just a fact of life that for whatever reason,personalities clash at times and it appears to me that this may be the case here,a dislike of each other, based on past history as well as present behavior.

Biggles.....I don`t believe that you are going to get anywhere by continuing to try and justify yourself......I stand by my previous advice......Go and find a School with a CFI, whom you can communicate effectivly with,then do what is needed......It will be worth it in the long run and you will be the winner.

Frank.

Guest Andys@coffs

I would think it unlikely that progress is going to occur if the CFI doesnt trust the student and the student equally doesnt trust the CFI (and I think thats what Ive read on this one sided discussion so far). In otherwords there is an elephant in the room and the only way around it is to choose another room, or sit down and discus the elephant! I dont believe there is a viable 3rd choice. I believe that if choosing the discussion based approach, it'll take some time and a serve or 2 of humble pie and belly button reflection, and not in that order

Andy

Whilst I feel sorry for your situation, you have had 4 (or more)? damaging prangs, an engine failure or two, and someone in the administration has heard about it and wants to be sure you should be part of the organisation and have the right attitude to operations and maintenence.

Every one of the incidents has to be included in statistic somewhere and reflects badly on the whole movement.

The lack of comms with Canberra seems strange, maybe more follow ups needed

Keep in mind it isnt your right to have a license, if any of the instructors say they arent OK completeing Flight review, Id say something serious is wrong.

It seems you originally ignored Micks request for a flight review, its not his job to get you flying again

Keep trying to learn whats going wrong, why instructors arent happy and admit there might be an issue with how you approach flying.

Farri, people are suggesting he goes to another school, he also has considered it. As i said, it may be a bad choice, because other schools dont know his history as well as those at Moruya may, as he did say he did his last BFR @ moruya. His history should have nothing to do with anything.The only thing that should matter is wheather he meets the standard required or not.

As far as being a bad choice goes,it may also be the best choice.

Frank.

I'll be honest biggles you sound like a gung ho cowboy and guess what, they all crash and die. Listen to your instructors and play by the rules or sell your plane and stay on the ground.

Sorry for defending myself so snappily at times,

@Ignition I have no doubt you can understand him if he's talking to you. And I am NOT trying to say anything bad about him, except for the fact that even BEFORE I went there, he never really spoke to me anyway. So he wasn't exactly in a normal mood in the cockpit. Maybe ask him why he dislikes me, since I'm not sure. Everyone else there is friendly.

I mentioned that bit about left and right because it happened. I had to confirm just about every thing he said. Maybe he would say I'm deaf. Maybe.

The reason I posted it all here is because I started getting the idea that I was beating my head against a brick wall. First Mick won't communicate with me, then when I do all the proper arranging, it turns out to be a multiple trip the the airport test, when I would have thought they might have some idea how busy I am. As I said, book an entire day if need be. AT LEAST TELL ME.

Then CFI stops the test halfway. HE DIDN'T FAIL ME. I have no idea what he assessed me at. (I know my opinion of myself is low).

There is no option to go back. Not now, not later. CFI refused to fly with me.

So I practically wasted a day (not fully, I had a slight refresher)

So I was getting the feeling of running into a wall wherever I went. So I put it public (hence why I wanted to use real names) to get a 2nd opinon so I could somehow contact Mick (if he doesn't read this) and say "Come on mate, I understand you want a review, but this is looking like you're just trying to ground me in dead ends"

As for going somewhere else. Well, CFI told me I have to.

And for those who think I need to go back, well, does that mean that all other instructors would let someone fly who shouldn't be?

There are many instructors out there, and I would think that if Raa (and CASA) think they are capable of giving a licence, then they are also capable of checking someone out.

I just don't want to be stuck in an endless game of follow this piece of red tape until you reach another dead end.