Tasmania Flight

JG3

Here are some photos of the flight I did around Tasmania in January.

It was a good place to be while Qld was being flooded.....

But more than that, Tassie is a great adventure - so different from the rest of Australia.

Spectacular rugged coastline, spectacular mountains and lakes, gentle cozy farmland.

Lots of 'tiger country' but worth it.

I'd far rather be over rough country than cold water..........

I really hate getting into that 'life' jacket to cross the Strait, but it's sure worth it once over there.

It's not as far across the water as most think. The longest passage is 32 nm from Deal Island to Killicranky at the north end of Flinders Island, and that's with good airstrips both ends. Deal is only to used in emergency, but good to know it's there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/woblywallaby/TasmaniaFlight2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCN-Iy_GcsdCFGQ#

JG

ps- When the album comes on screen just click on 'Slideshow', then click on the right-facing arrow at the bottom of the screen to move to the next photo.

Very nice collection of memories. You are a little gamer than me with some of the country you fly over. I have done some of what you have but generally step from one place to another trying to give me gliding distance to a clear area. Sometimes you just cannot do it. You were lucky with the weather on the SW and West coast. well done. Nev

Guest studentbiggles

Fab piccy's John and cifcare is right about Tassie, what a stunningly beautiful place............Did you fly down on your own?.......Your bike is a brilliant idea......Don't know about the 2man tent !!!!!.......I think I'd like a few more creature comforts!!!

A trip to Tassie is definely on my "To Do" list down the track, thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip with your great piccy's and blog.

Fly and Keep Safe..........................Alley

Checked your Nullabor pics too, JG. Great photos. I'm hoping to make a similar trip one day (have to finish the plane first though). That bike compartment is a great idea. I've been mulling over the idea of taking a collapsible bike on extended trips too, but I haven't worked out how to tell my wife that she may be replaced by a bike and a jerrycan :)

rgmwa

It doesn't have to be either/or. She can sit on the wing... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

If I suggested that, I'd be out on the wing!

But seriously, that bike is a neat idea. Can't see where I'd put it in an RV-12 though, without losing a lot of luggage capacity in the back.

rgmwa

If I suggested that, I'd be out on the wing! But seriously, that bike is a neat idea. Can't see where I'd put it in an RV-12 though, without losing a lot of luggage capacity in the back.

rgmwa

Adopt an idea from the RV-10, someone is selling a belly pod with space for a little folding m/cycle. I've got a photo somewhere, I'll dig it out n post.

Guest davidh10

Lovely photos John. There's a bit of work gone into putting a commentary along with each, but that makes it more enjoyable to watch. Sure lovely country in Tas. I haven't yet been to the west coast, so that's on my to-do list.

We are looking at having a holiday in Tassie this year.The other half is on my back LOL.She would like to go at easter, but due to work commitments it will be after june.Never been there before but looking at John's photos, it looks fantastic.

The 'tiger country' in the SW, along the west coast, and even up in the interior mountains, isn't as bad as you might think. Usually some 'heath' country around, low shrubby bush, looks like it would be a fairly well cushioned quick stop..... Probably damaged landing gear and bent aircraft but survivable. Would need a helicopter to get out tho, as no vehicle tracks at all.... The worst area is Franklin River - tall timber and steep gorges....

JG

Great photos John, and a great plug for Tassie!

Were you questioned at all at Bathurst Harbour by the charter operators? I was under the impression that they frown on RAA aircraft flying in, and require prior permission, etc.... it's been on my to do list for some time, but that has always held me back.

Cheers, Jim.

No, there was no mention of any problems, and I did talk with a couple of the pilots. They were friendly, and told me that Cambridge is open to RAAus aircraft, which I didn't know before. The weather was not the best when I got there, and the voluntary ranger invited me to camp over in the hikers hut. Didn't seem to be any problems......

I reckon just fly in when you're ready. Park up by the toilet at the eastern end, that's right out of their way.

Good fun to watch them plant those loaded Islanders right on the end of that strip that's just big enough for them.

I live by the old adage, "It's usually easier to seek forgiveness than permission....."

JG