What are your thoughts ?

patrick55

Guest Maj Millard

Kaz3g, The drifter in ground effect is the same. Foward stick to hold it down there, and it picks up it's tail a bit, and just scoots. The RPMs will drop 1-2 hundred RPMs. Quite stable and great fun above the beach for a half hour or so. Soon as you release fwd stick pressure, she'll pop right up.........................................................Maj...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly given that patrick55 says he witnessed one of these flights I would hope that there will be apologies for essentially calling him a liar ...

We are not calling him a liar...

The thread is called "What are your thoughts"... so we give him our impressions of the photo.

My doubt is in the authenticity of the photo, not in the story behind it, nor the eyewitness account.

Pelicans also use the ground effect to fly across the top of the water.

Hey guys, some interesting thoughts here, maybe I did not word this one right. I was meaning to ask for thoughts on whether you thought this was performed by a pilot who is very skilled or just downright stupid. Not whether it was fake or not. I know what I witnessed but I can also see where people would question the photo (it is not of the best quality and originated a very long time ago). However, I don't think a respected captain would take the time to fabricate that whole story just for the sake of it either. I am trying to get hold of the video but can't say how long that will take ! I appreciate all of your views and understand there is not a lot of information regarding the event. Will post new info as it is sent to me !

Unless I slept through my astronavigation classes, the sun can appear overhead down to 23 degrees S?

For loafing in class, you can write 5000 lines - "in May, the sun is directly overhead in the northern hemisphere"

To be posted up here by close of business tomorrow !!!!

Ah, now if someone had specified the date on which this phenomenon was alleged, that would have put a very different complexion on the matter. By the way, have we determined what direction this machine was travelling in, or supposed to be travelling in, depending on your view of the photo's authenticity? Strikes me that from a low angle it would be very difficult to pick up whether the shadow was directly beneath or displaced 6' laterally with respect to the direction of travel (ie directly toward or away from you) if it were travelling W-E or E-W at around midday.

Incidently I have an indirect contact with the photographer to whom the original is attributed. He is quite widely published these days and will be able to give us a little insight. I seem to recall that he was a little grumpy about copyright, something about having assigned it to the commissioning magazine at the time, but I'll see whether I can scare up an answer.

Yes, John Miller took the photo, hopefully hear back from someone soon. I'm trying to get hold of the video but think its a bit of a long shot ! A friend of mine is good friends with an Emirates captain and is going to see if he can get in touch with Darryl.

Guest rocketdriver

Talking about low passes at airshows, I was adjacent to the downwind threshold at Ballarat many years ago when the display Mirage III inadvertantly touched down with afterburner lit on what was apparently supposed to be a low, slow fly past. I have often wondered if it was deliberate as his wheels touched right AT the threshold ..... but then he nearly didn't get off again ... seemed to use all the runway, and left a grass fire behind! Was anyone else there / know more?

RD

I too was at this airshow back in '95, so it's not fake. Would love to see the video. I also recall going to the airshow at Charles Prince airport in Harare and seeing the Red Arrows, not sure if that was the same airshow but memorable just the same. Damn I was 16 at the time.. seems like yesterday :)

I think it may have been that show, the Red Arrows did a tour when the SAAF were wavering over what trainer to order, flying the flag for the Hawk as it were. I recall some pretty good photos taken o/head Vic Falls and having a flying lesson cancelled so we could all retire to Jo Kools in Durban to watch the show over the beachfront. I have some photos of that buried somewhere.

That wasn't the same airshow at charles prince Magnet, that was the one in 93 (with the red arrow display) when the air zim pilot did a low pass with a full load of passengers on a commercial flight- BIG TROUBLE for that. quick question spin, were you in the SAAF ?

Hey guys, I was meaning to ask for thoughts on whether you thought this was performed by a pilot who is very skilled or just downright stupid. Not whether it was fake or not.

I won`t comment on wheather the pilot was very skilled or stupid! I don`t know the pilot!!!

Given the room to do so,What`s so unbelievable about that aircraft being able to fly a few meters off the ground or fly under bridges?

Shouldn`t all pilots have that level of ability and controll over the aircraft?

Frank.

I agree with you completely farri, it would be wonderful if all pilots could demonstrate that level of control. In my opinion, Darryl Tarr is an extremely talented and skilled aviator, (He is well known/respected for his flying endeavors that side of the world). Most people's first reaction is to not believe what they see, I don't understand why it is so unbelievable either? Just a pilot showcasing the ability of the plane although not leaving ANY room for error.

When they have an airshow in Africa they can put on a pretty good show. The attached photo was taken at the EAA airshow at Margate on the South African Natal south coast in the mid 1980's, can't remember the exact year. It is a sheduled flight that was en route from Johannesburg to Durban and the pilot diverted a little south of track and gave a quick display of the 737. Note this aircraft is full of passengers. This is a genuine photo as I was the photographer. I do believe the PAX enjoyed the experience and there were no complaints.

av106.jpg.f88edbc774fe20fafa07ea153c2b72bd.jpg

• Like 1

Saw that one too, but was changing film and missed the photo (remember those days?) Incidentally unless there was another SAA flypast down there, I believe there was at least one complaint from a passenger and the pilot got carpeted for it. I don't know him personally but recall it being discussed one day when I visited the Kremlin at Smuts. Dave was that the same year the Shakelton diverted from a patrol to do an impromptu display, I remember those Griffons making the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

That wasn't the same airshow at charles prince Magnet, that was the one in 93 (with the red arrow display) when the air zim pilot did a low pass with a full load of passengers on a commercial flight- BIG TROUBLE for that. quick question spin, were you in the SAAF ?

Thanks Patrick, I did go to both shows, but I was blown away by the red arrows display...those boys can fly!