Ballarat Hard landing

prowse

I am posting here to let you all learn from my mistake

I landed a J160 on sunday too hard and damaged the nose gear.

The cause..... I was distracted on landing by a breaker going off which caused the EFIS to flash off then switch back on, this allowed me to inadvertantly allow the aircraft to reach an unacceptable sink rate, when I looked up, I saw way to much of the ground out the front for my liking,

the resopnse to this was to pull back, and apply full throttle, allowing the Attitude of the aircraft to be resored, and reducing the sink rate.

Unfortunatly the sinkrate was still high enough that the nose gear was bent, and the Aircraft is now being repaired.

There was no need for any instraments to land from 30ft above the runway, even if the thing was on fire (it wasn't), there is nothing that can be done that is more important than landing the plane.

My flying record was perfect, I have been an Aircraft engineer since 1994, and flying since 1991

yet still I suffered from what could have been Fatal Stupidity.

The lesson

Above all else, no mater the distractions, LAND THE DAMN PLANE.

You've covered it, prowse. Telling others is a good thing. If people of your experience can be distracted, others should pay attention. Some aircraft have a lot of warning gadgets that can distract you too. Ignore things that don't matter. Safe flying is a matter of assessing priorities. Human factors anyone? Nev

We all learn more from our mistakes so it stands to reason that if you never make mistakes you are not a very knowledgeable fellow.

Stone the crows, I have made so many mistakes I should be an absolute know all by now. LOL Alan.

Guest Maj Millard

Good to hear you came out without too much damage Prowse. I've noticed a couple of times in the past that if you don't pay due attention to the art of flying, it'll take the opportunity everytime to kick you in the arxx !!..............................Cheers Maj

I am the owner of the J160 that got bent.

Two things I really want to share.

1. I really respect the attitude of Prowse. You can tell a lot about a person when the chips are down.

2. The J160 is flying again. Thanks to Jabiru aircraft - parts in Ballarat within 48 hours and a big thanks to Ian Anderson for getting it back together.

Even after a bad day like this I still enjoy being involved in RAAus!

Good onya guys for the honesty. We can all learn from our mistakes, and others. We are only human after all. And like others have said already, could have been alot worse, but it wasn't. Ego's are damaged easily, like aircraft, but the strong rebuild them quickly. And above all: It doesn't make you any lesser of an aviator by making mistakes. It's just how you learn and manage them. Rod.

Good stuff. Thanx for sharing. The 160 won't forgive you if you take your eyes of the ball in the final stages of any approach.

3 things to remember.

1. Fly the plane

2. Fly the plane

3. Fly the plane

cheers

Thanks All againGlad the J160 is Flying again :)

This is one of the best threads I have read in recent times, thanks Prowse for your honest introspective assesments and as many experienced forumites have added you have already embraced the core of good airmanship and effects of human factors.

Good luck ( and judgement) with your flying future.

Does Ian Anderson still play flute for Jethro Tull?

Hehe Slarti, Now you are showing your age! I remember seeing Jethro Tull at Birmingham University in the UK a LOOOOONG time ago! I also just saw Santana for the first time last week at Rod Laver Arena....only waited 40 years....excellent stuff!

Cheers

Neil

Guest ozzie

Santana playing tonight just down the road. We saw them a couple of years ago there, well worth the cost. Concerts are so expensive now. Nearly a top name act every week lately. Sting a few weeks ago. Have to be selective at 160 bucks a ticket.

DSC00935.JPG.dce2533769ea8301286b25ef19a2f0a1.JPG

DSC00942.JPG.8d11ab67158530196d3352f724e4f55b.JPG

Guest Maj Millard

When I lived and worked in the San Francisco bay area, in the 80s and 90s, there was the annual free concert in Golden Gate park in the true Hippy style. Carlos was always on the bill along with locals such as Grace slick, Linda Ronstadt, Quicksilver Messenger service, Boz Scaggs, BB King, Steve Miller, Gratefull Dead etc etc. I always gave Carlos my vote for the most baggy clothes on a human being ever !.

He also owned a large health food store in the Mexican Mission district of SF, and it wasn't unusual to see him stocking shelfs or even manning the cash register on occasions .Just another friendly local......................................................................Maj...

When I lived and worked in the San Francisco bay area, in the 80s and 90s, there was the annual free concert in Golden Gate park in the true Hippy style. Carlos was always on the bill along with locals such as Grace slick, Linda Ronstadt, Quicksilver Messenger service, Boz Scaggs, BB King, Steve Miller, Gratefull Dead etc etc. I always gave Carlos my vote for the most baggy clothes on a human being ever !.He also owned a large health food store in the Mexican Mission district of SF, and it wasn't unusual to see him stocking shelfs or even manning the cash register on occasions .Just another friendly local......................................................................Maj...

Ah Maj, now you have got me really jealous! Along with Santana, Grace Slick & Jefferson Airplane used to be one of my fave bands when I was a teenager. And when I lived in London a bunch of us from work used to go and see BB King every time he played at Hammersmith Odeon. What a superb showman, and he is still playing gigs even now!

Cheers

Neil

Guest Maj Millard

Yes what a great musican BB is. Whilst also living in London I had the pleasure to attend a Muddy waters concert, another great showman unfortunatly no longer with us, but in the same style as BB..............................................Cheers Maj