Compass recommendations?

rgmwa

I will need to install a backup magnetic compass in my plane when I eventually finish it. I'm leaning toward getting a vertical card compass, rather than the traditional type. Are there any reasons not to go with the vertical card variety?

rgmwa

Don't use the one that is made in the country that is better known for its rice dishes - they do not work during climbing or descending and would not calibrate in the A/C

OK, I've crossed that brand off the list :) Thanks for the tip.

rgmwa

I see that Spruce and Specialty has a vertical card compass for $US278 which is TSO'd and made in the USA. I reckon it would be the ant's pants.OME

That's the last one on my list after crossing the other one off. Anybody have one?

rgmwa

RGWMA,

I originally had a Silva hand bearing compass but it was put out by the tachometer the error was +10 east, -10 west. To cure the problem I put in a digital tacho, this made it better but not good enough. I decided to spend the money and put in a Precision Vertical card compass. The results are outstanding there is no correction required for the entire 360 degrees, it is a delight to navigate with this one. Ian has mentioned a Falcon which is the same type it is nearly half the price I paid, although I now do not regret the price as it made such a difference.

Allegro 2000

Why not look at Wicks...they have the Falcon one at $241 and others up from there:

Yeah, but ...

It's specifically a Northern Hemishpere one. If you bought it you'd have to get it recalibrated for the Southern Hemisphere, and there goes your $39 saving. You can specify a Southern Hemishpere one from Spruce & Specialty.

OME

( I don't sell instruments.)

Yeah, but ...It's specifically a Northern Hemishpere one. If you bought it you'd have to get it recalibrated for the Southern Hemisphere, and there goes your $39 saving. You can specify a Southern Hemishpere one from Spruce & Specialty.

OME

( I don't sell instruments.)

Ah, yes but if you purchased it through the Recreational Flying Shop, who are the Australian Wicks agents, you would pay the same price as on the Wicks site, and get a Southern Hemisphere one

Question: If a pilot with a Southern Hemisphere compass crossed the equator, would the compass immediately become useless? If so, at how many degress north does this error start?

IMO those that sell the Chinese instruments are doing their customers a disservice, maybe it's just about money - these instruments are quite often unreliable & should be banned from sale until the quality improves and there are approved maintenance manuals.041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Just a question ,,,,So do you need to have a magnetic compass fitted ,,, If there was one say in an electronic efis dash ,,,would you need 2 ?

Brett,

A remote compass is not enough. Quote from "Instruments required for flight under Visual Flight Rules"

CAO 20.18 Appendix I 1 © (i) a direct reading magnetic compass; or

(ii) a remote indicating compass and a standby direct reading magnetic compass

rgmwa