Hi

JackM

Hello everyone, I have just joined Recreationalflying.net. I am 16 years of age and I'm a Student Pilot at Adelaide Biplanes (Great flying school), currently training for my Recreational Pilots license. I have completed approximatley 30+ hours of flight training including 6 hours Solo. I am training in a Tailwheel aircraft (Cubcrafters Sportcub).

Welcome mate, way to go! Nice amount of hours at such an age is great! :thumb_up:

I'm only a young fella too (19), so it's good to see others enjoying the sport 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

G'day JM!!...lots of friendly people here! i'm envious!!...i love the cub....let us know how u are progressing..

Thanks cficare. The Cub is a great plane to fly, as well as fun:smile: . I will soon post an update of my progress.

Welcome mate, way to go! Nice amount of hours at such an age is great! :thumb_up:I'm only a young fella too (19), so it's good to see others enjoying the sport 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Thanks Tomo. What stage are you up to with your flying?

Thanks Tomo. What stage are you up to with your flying?

No problems Jack! Well I've advanced a little since I started I suppose... have approx 150hrs now on about 8 different aircraft. Just doing the finishing touches to my PPL now (well when I can... been a dragged out process 'cause I keep going places)

Friend of mine has a Savage Cub, and it's one heck of a fun plane to fly... It's a good plane to get your license in I would think... get some great skills developed right from the start.

Keep it up!

Well done JM. I started my tail wheel conversion with same school, same planes. Great fliers as you say and so easy to land. unfortunately had to give it away when the cash ran out. Still, I'm flying a Jab LSA55 down at Murray Bridge tomorrow to keep my hand in.

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome jack, I look foward to reading your future posts and hearing of your adventures in the Carbon Cub............................................Cheers Maj...

• 3 months later...
Guest Jake.f

Welcome! So jealous of you being able to fit so many hours in at a young age!! I'm 18 and only started lessons this year so as it stands I only have 3.5 hours. Trying to go solo by the end of this year and would really love to have a certificate by the end of next year, although it will be hard to fit that in with uni. Starting to wish I stared flying at the start of last year, if I did I would almost have my Certificate by now! The fact that I have had to postpone every lesson to this date due to weather or illness is also irritating, I have another lesson booked for this Friday and what do you know, strong winds and rain are forecast!

Also jealous of you getting to learn in the Cub, looks like such a fun aircraft!

Updating my progress. Today I got my Recreational Pilots Certificate with Tailwheel, Radio and Passenger endorsements :D

G'day Jack, and congratulations. 16 with a pilot's certificate you got in a Cub? WOW!!! Now that's some serious bragging rights.

In the back of the original owner's manual I have for my Cub, there are 10 commandments that will stand you in good stead throughout your flying life, no matter what you fly. Seeing as how you've trained in a Cub (who cares if it's a replica? There's no greater compliment than being copied) you may have already read them. But just incase you haven't, I'll offer the tenth one for your consideration -- 10. "THOU SHALT KNOW ALWAYS -- THE GOOD PILOT IS THE SAFE PILOT: It's better to be an old pilot than a bold pilot." I kid you not Jack. This tenth commandment is in the back of the original Piper Cub Special J3C-65 owner's manual I have. It's dated MAY 15 1946. And the other nine Cub commandments are almost as important.

Keep the sunny side up. And again, congratulations young man.

Wayne.

• Like 1

.. there are 10 commandments that will stand you in good stead throughout your flying life, no matter what you fly. Seeing as how you've trained in a Cub (who cares if it's a replica? There's no greater compliment than being copied) you may have already read them. But just incase you haven't, I'll offer the tenth one for your consideration -- 10. "THOU SHALT KNOW ALWAYS -- THE GOOD PILOT IS THE SAFE PILOT: It's better to be an old pilot than a bold pilot." ...

C'mon Wayne, start a new thread with the list of the 10 commandments - I'd love to read them. Maybe we could even add a few extras! pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif

Peter

C'mon Wayne, start a new thread with the list of the 10 commandments - I'd love to read them. Maybe we could even add a few extras! pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gifPeter

As requested, here's the Ten Commandments from the last 2 pages of the Piper Cub Special J3C-65 Owner's Handbook. Dated MAY 15 1946.

TEN COMMANDMENTS

For Safe Flying

1. THOU SHALT NOT BECOME AIRBORNE WITHOUT CHECKING THY FUEL SUPPLY: It only takes a few minutes to gas up… it may save you a forced landing.

2. THOU SHALT NOT TAXI WITH CARELESSNESS: Taxi slowly and make S turns to clear the area in front of the nose. Know the proper use of the controls for taxiing in strong winds.

3. THOU SHALT EVER TAKE HEED UNTO AIR TRAFFIC RULES: Keep a constant lookout for other aircraft. Follow the rules so that pilots of other planes will know what you are going to do.

4. THOU SHALT NOT MAKE FLAT TURNS: This is particularly important when making power-off turns. You steer with the ailerons, not the rudder.

5. THOU SHALT MAINTAIN THY SPEED LEST THE EARTH ARISE AND SMITE THEE: Don’t be fooled by the increase in ground speed resulting from a downwind turn. Keep sufficient airspeed.

6. THOU SHALT NOT LET THY CONFIDENCE EXCEED THY ABILITY: Don’t attempt instrument flying in adverse weather conditions unless you have the proper training and the necessary instruments. Instrument flying is a highly developed science. Don’t pioneer.

7. THOU SHALT MAKE USE OF THY CARBURETOR HEATER: The carburettor heater is your friend. Know when to use it. Remember that it’s easier to prevent ice in the carburettor than to eliminate it after it has formed.

8. THOU SHALT NOT PERFORM AEROBATICS AT LOW ALTITUDES: Aerobatics started near the ground may be completed six feet under the ground. There’s safety in altitude.

9. THOU SHALT NOT ALLOW INDECISION IN THY JUDGEMENT: Be certain! You can’t afford to make errors of judgement. “I think I can make it” is on the list of famous last words.

10. THOU SHALT KNOW ALWAYS -- THE GOOD PILOT IS THE SAFE PILOT: It’s better to be an old pilot than a bold pilot.

Courtesy of

Piper Aircraft Corporation

Lock Haven, Penna.

• Like 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Jack - Congratulations on getting your licence. You should be very, very proud of such an achievement :big_grin: