Trike down n Normalup

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Based on that, I better give up my licence. Victor Harbor, Port Elliot, Middleton, Goolwa - all are tourist areas, very busy at Xmas time and Easter etc. I dont want to be "known for flying in tourist areas". I guess we better close down YGWA Airport as well, cant have anyone flying near tourist areas. Or maybe im too cynical:stirrer:

Didn't realise the tourist areas owned the airspace above them, glad he is ok and you can't do much if the engine is failing.

Good outcome i say, and if it annoys the tourists him flying around well holiday elsewhere:-)

Alf

Every pilot should be aware that the Denmark-Walpole area is very 'green' and very noise sensitive. It's full of eco-resorts, frequented by eco-people, doing eco-activities - none of which are enhanced by aviation noise. My guess is that the crash pilot already had some 'history' with the resort owner. Tourist areas are not where a pilot should demonstrate their flying skills - whether low or high.

happy days,

There’s more here than meets the eye, as Poteroo alludes.

As we’re all aware, there are no issues with flying near tourist areas and there’s no suggestion that tourist areas hold any special “ownership” of nearby airspace. But, all pilots must obey the rules for minimum altitudes and separation. Responsible pilots show no tolerance or sympathy for those pilots who deliberately and consistently flout the rules.

While flying (legally) near tourist areas is not an issue, flying below tree-top height and stupidly close to tourists is an issue – as is flying without a licence and flying an unregistered aircraft.

Didn't realise the tourist areas owned the airspace above them, glad he is ok and you can't do much if the engine is failing.Good outcome i say, and if it annoys the tourists him flying around well holiday elsewhere:-)

Alf

Good Outcome??????? Into the trees beside a highway full of traffic?????????............ Not in my book!!!

I`ve been flying Ultralight aircraft for 25 years, instructing for 12, have survived more than my fair share of forced landings, due to engine failure and never been so much as scratched.

This is because I always give myself more than one option to carry out a forced landing!!!

I absolutely agree that you can`t do much after the engine has failed, other than to try and carry out a safe landing, but there is a hell of a lot that you can do before it fails.

Each and everyone of us chooses where we wish to fly, choose wisely, there have been too many fatal accidents because the terain below wasn`t suitable.

Frank.

Ps, I`m not just blowing my own trumpet, I`m trying to help someone else!!!

Guest slb
– as is flying without a licence and flying an unregistered aircraft.

Yes, looking at the photo, I cannot see any Rego numbers. Is the RAA looking in to this?

Guest Crezzi

I don't think you would necessarily be able to see rego numbers in that photo as it shows the wing top surface.

Hypothetically if a trike wasn't registered and a pilot wasn't licensed its not really an RAAus accident so would they look into it ?

Cheers

John

I don't think you would necessarily be able to see rego numbers in that photo as it shows at the wing top surface.Hypothetically if a trike wasn't registered and a pilot wasn't licensed its not really any RAAus accident so would they look into it ?

Cheers

John

You raise an interesting point John. I wonder if RAA have an obligation to enforce the regulations?

In other self - administering sports without a Government obligation the Association has no responsibility.

They can lay down conditions of membership/participation to their own activities to comply with requests made by their Public Liability Insurer, but they can't enforce any control over someone with the same equipment (a0 refusing to join and (b) misbehaving.

Guest davidh10
You raise an interesting point John. I wonder if RAA have an obligation to enforce the regulations?...

I'm pretty sure in my meanderings through the legislation, RAA is required to have provisions for dealing with members who contravene the rules, however that's slightly different to "enforcing". ie. Although they can impose a penalty, they don't have a police force.

Penalties may also be handed out by CASA, but again, I haven't seen any aircraft with blue flashing lights whizing around.

Guest Crezzi
I'm pretty sure in my meanderings through the legislation, RAA is required to have provisions for dealing with members who contravene the rules, .

They are but clearly they have no jurisdiction over non-members. Furthermore the provisions (mandated retraining / suspensions of some or all privileges / ultimately expulsion) would, by definition, be ineffective against such a person !

Cheers

John

Guest davidh10
They are but clearly they have no jurisdiction over non-members. Furthermore the provisions (mandated retraining / suspensions of some or all privileges / ultimately expulsion) would, by definition, be ineffective against such a person !Cheers

John

100% agree, John. It would be up to CASA to deal with unlicensed recreational pilots who were not a member of the appropriate association, and unregistered aircraft.

As it is the police who investigate, do they have a role in laying charges under such situations? Since it is Commonwealth legislation, not State legislation, would that then be the AFP? State police may only be involved to the extent of a coronial investigation?

Good Outcome??????? Into the trees beside a highway full of traffic?????????............ Not in my book!!!I`ve been flying Ultralight aircraft for 25 years, instructing for 12, have survived more than my fair share of forced landings, due to engine failure and never been so much as scratched.

This is because I always give myself more than one option to carry out a forced landing!!!

I absolutely agree that you can`t do much after the engine has failed, other than to try and carry out a safe landing, but there is a hell of a lot that you can do before it fails.

Each and everyone of us chooses where we wish to fly, choose wisely, there have been too many fatal accidents because the terain below wasn`t suitable.

Frank.

Ps, I`m not just blowing my own trumpet, I`m trying to help someone else!!!

Frank,

Good outcome meant glad he got away with just only broken ribs.

Yes i totally agree everyone should fly with landing options at hand and if none fly at a height which will give you one over the terrain your flying over.

I don't know the reigon where he was flying over so i can't comment about it.

IF he was being a Larrakin and blasaie about his flying he learnt (hopefully) a valuable lesson and will be better for it, and currently got the end result for which he was flying to at the time of the failure, if he was flying sensible he was unlucky or just misjudged his forced landing.

Either way the outcome was good, wrecked trike but a still alive pilot.

Alf

Hi Alf, Wasn`t having a go at you at all!!!

As long as no one gets hurt, we can call it a good outcome.

Maybe he did just get the landing wrong!

I`m sorry if I`ve offended the pilot,none was meant.

Cheers,

Frank.

...........As it is the police who investigate, do they have a role in laying charges under such situations? Since it is Commonwealth legislation, not State legislation, would that then be the AFP? State police may only be involved to the extent of a coronial investigation?

State Police can and do enforce Commonwealth laws and it is usually State police who respond first to aviation accidents and incidents as they have disaster management responsibities. NTSB investigate from a safety viewpoint (to reduce the likelihood of pilots having similar accidents in the future) and CASA investigate them from an enforcement one (to prosecute surviving pilots to show them they shouldn't be so foolish as to survive another).

(Sorry... its' the ATSB now)

kaz

Hi Alf, Wasn`t having a go at you at all!!!As long as no one gets hurt, we can call it a good outcome.

Maybe he did just get the landing wrong!

I`m sorry if I`ve offended the pilot,none was meant.

Cheers,

Frank.

No prob's Frank,

I never thought for a minute you were having a go at me.

I'm just glad the pilot survived and if he was in the wrong it was an expensive and painful learning, if he did the right thing it was also an expensive and painful outcome.

I don't think you would have offended the pilot at all in what you wrote.

Alf