HP Endorsment

Thats very try, a few times along the way i was ready to give up, i'm glad i kept going. I had a lot of help from my instuctor, he seems to realy enjoy seeing you become a better pilot.

Well I accieved my high performance last weekend, so the next step is x country then tailwheel, I can't wait to do the TW that looks like great fun.Pete

What type of tailwheel you thinking Pete?

Guest davidh10
OK, so my Jabie falls into the category but there's no endorsement on my license. Does one only get this if converting a a lower cat'y or what?

No. You get the endorsement pertinent to the aircraft you passed your licence test with as a starter (either LP or HP) Then if you are subsequently endorsed for the other performance level, that should have gone onto your Certificate and into your log book.

You should not be flying an aircraft for which you don't have a qualifying endorsement. If I was you, I'd follow up with the CFI that endorsed you to fly the Jab. Is it classified as HP? (I would have thought it would be in the registration info, but it isn't... I just checked mine) Where's my Endo? Might just be a snafu in the paperwork!

No. You get the endorsement pertinent to the aircraft you passed your licence test with as a starter (either LP or HP) Then if you are subsequently endorsed for the other performance level, that should have gone onto your Certificate and into your log book.You should not be flying an aircraft for which you don't have a qualifying endorsement. If I was you, I'd follow up with the CFI that endorsed you to fly the Jab. Is it classified as HP? (I would have thought it would be in the registration info, but it isn't... I just checked mine) Where's my Endo? Might just be a snafu in the paperwork!

I'm confused, my certificate [i just checked] has no endorsement for either LP or HP so where does that leave me. I did my training and test in a tecnam p92 that I would class as HP. I remember some time ago filling in a form with a renewal which I stated HP That I think was a few years ago now.

Hmm weird... I've got stated on mine HP, LP etc etc...

You should have it on there, if you have it signed in your logbook it shouldn't be any big deal to get it on there again I would imagine, but if it isn't in your logbook, you need to have an Instructor sign it off... if he's confident of you flying in those machines obviously.

Jabiru's are classed as HP

Guest davidh10
I'm confused, my certificate [i just checked] has no endorsement for either LP or HP so where does that leave me. I did my training and test in a tecnam p92 that I would class as HP. I remember some time ago filling in a form with a renewal which I stated HP That I think was a few years ago now.

Might be worth asking the RAA office. Looks like a validation issue to me. After all, if you are going to issue licenses without either a HP or LP endorsement, why bother having the endorsements in the first place?

Mine definitely has "LP".

Mine doesn't have any mention of HP or LP either. However, was originally done back in 1996 I think.

I have R, PAX, X, HF and TW in that order on my card. Did my ab initio in a Drifter

Pud

Yes Pud same as mine, the problem for me is I fly both regularly and always have done. But the point I'd make is I got my certificate in a HP aircraft and an TW endorsement in a thruster so I should have both automatically, so what's gone wrong. I don't see the point of it anyway.

Guest davidh10

I had heard that the RAA database was corrupted and that all the records had to be manually re-entered from paper records. That, if factual, may be the source of the missing endos. The story was around when I first joined, now about 18 months ago. I have no first hand knowledge as to the veracity of the story, but the posts here tend to lend weight to it. Fortunately for me, I believe it pre-dated my membership.

I have just read s2.05 and take it to be that a "Pilots Certificate" will be issued ....and MAY be endorsed...

To me, that means that the Pilot Certificate is valid with or without any endorsements listed, and as long as the endorsements are signed off in your logbook (legal document) then you should be OK

It would be worth getting a legal opinion on it as the ramifications if an accident does occur could be horrendous

Or even better still, ask RAA to clarify the matter, that is what they are there for and they hold the insurance policy

Cheers

Bryon

Seems like I've opened the proverbial 'can of worms'. No mention of any category in my log book either. Anyone know where it states that the category must be declared by the FI? Obviously it's in the relevant Ops Manual, but page, chapter and verse would enable me to get my FI 'on the ball' quicker.

Guest davidh10
Seems like I've opened the proverbial 'can of worms'. No mention of any category in my log book either. Anyone know where it states that the category must be declared by the FI? Obviously it's in the relevant Ops Manual, but page, chapter and verse would enable me to get my FI 'on the ball' quicker.

Doug;

Refer Ops Manual Sect 2.01 at items (8) and (9).

Paraphrased: Thou shalt not fly type unless endorsed.

Under Sect 2.05, I can see the misinterpretation of "may be endorsed on your Pilot Certificate", however if it said "shall be endorsed", those would all have to be put on every certificate regardless of qualification. That section is just defining all the possible attributes that can be put on a Pilot Certificate to map the Endorsement to the code that will be shown on the PC.

Your Pilot Certificate is like a driver's license, so must show endorsements for which you are qualified. If that was not the case, you would only need a log book and a membership fee receipt. Consider people who have been doing a lot of flying for many years and may have endorsements scattered through multiple log books. Do you have to carry all of them in the aircraft... no; That is why there is a plastic card.

Consider the award of endorsements use case: You perform the requirements for a PC or an endo. Your CFI writes it in your log book and submits a "Recommendation" to the Ops Manager. The Ops Manager confirms the PC or Endo and it is confirmed by issue of the PC card. You don't actually have the qualification until the Ops Manager confirms it. RAA assist new pilots to get into the air quickly after they gain their PC by emailing them the proof sheet in the interim before issue of the actual plastic. Both the proof sheet and the plastic come from the same database, so if it isn't on your plastic, and you don't have the proof sheet, you aren't officially qualified despite what may be in your log book.

That is why you get a new PC issued every time you get a new Endo, regardless of the expiry date on the PC. During my first six months, I think I received about four PCs, as the qualifications were progressively added.

I see it as a bit of a weird thing but it is there. If you trained on a thruster , no matter when you would be OK to have LP. If you flew a C-172 in GA as well that would give you HP. A photocopy of the relevant page(s) of your log book shown to the RAAus office should fix it. Obviously there is a cost to this, (for the organisation) especially if you are due for a renewal of membership soon when it could be done concurrently. The issue is "Does it need to be on your certificate".? I would say Dunno..but probably.. Nev

I seem to remember something from RAA (the President or CEO's message in the latest Mag??) saying that the licencing system had been updated(?) and some licences were missing endorsements etc, and to send in a copy of your log book where it was signed off and RAA would rectify it. Don't think it was the 2008 computer crash (and, more to the point, the failure to back up anything) that caused this one. As the better half got his certificate in the 1980's there were no endorsements - everything was low performance, low level. Looking at his paperwork - 2007 no endorsements, then he picked up TW & NW (nosewheel) - not sure how that came about as he only flies TW, only guessing that it was a hangover from the Wheeler Scout he hasn't flown for 20 odd years. Then came HF (after the exam) and then PAX, but no LP (low performance) or 2 stroke, which would be obvious from the date he got his ticket - there being no other type around. We sent them copies of the log.

He has both our copies of the magazine, so I will have to wait for him to surface before I can check. Unless someone else beats me to it.

Sue