Video: Cheetah Ultralight / Microlight Crash

Admin

Very good example of the almost impossible task of coordinating elevators when the nosewheel contacts the ground after a bounce. The oscillation amplifies. A go-around is the best recourse. ( early in the piece) unless you are VERY familiar with the plane. Touchy, light elevators make it harder and undamped maingear. Nev

That's not fake, I've had something similar happen in the SportStar... Except I obviously didn't destroy the aeroplane. Landing at Jandakot I came in too fast and bounced, although it seemed to keep falling forward onto the nose wheel and bouncing back, it was a chain reaction and happened 2-3 times before I applied power and went around. I had a passenger on board and didn't want to mess around trying to gain control. These weren't hard bounces and I got no where near as high off the ground as he did, but enough to make me go around. Surprisingly my passenger who was experiencing her first flight in a light aircraft wasn't afraid at all and said she wanted to go again! Only had 1.8hrs in that aircraft at the time as well.

-Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things, the nose wheel didn't touch first the near side main wheel did.

If you watch the dust and grass he was attmepting to land down hill with a quartering tail wind from the right.

The wind speed was a bit hard to determine from the velocity of the dust because the video ended almost on impact.

The nose wheel touched on the second and obviously final bounce.

I believe that even if he had applied power it was all stacked against him, he would have been extremely lucky to recover.

Anyway thats my two bob's worth.

Rick-p

An aside:- Ian got your phone message but lost your #, Telstra is so efficient in losing my messages, for me.pull_hair.gif.3994f465d56951521f66ae0593c25df0.gif

Obviously I fixed the problem as back on site.

Thanks,

Rick-p

• 3 months later...

The ZU rego and aircraft type are kind of giveaways as to where this happened. I followed some discussion on a local aviation forum after the video first surfaced, seems very little doubt that there is no fakery involved, just lack of skill....