Costs of building a hangar

IanR

I may have the opportunity to build a hangar. Was wondering what options there are and the sort of prices I would be looking at. Relocatable may be better than permanent. We are looking at something about 12M wide by 10M or maybe about 20M to fit more than one aircraft.

How long is your string? Height; soil type; door type; frame type; cladding type; floor construstion; block slope; council costs; your labour; etc; etc

12x10m high teens to mid twenty (thousand) VERY rough planning figures with steel frame and tin cladding (that you have to pay for!)

Hi. when I got quotes for hangars the cost jumped dramatically once you go past 15m wide as a stronger structure is required for the span but you could go longer at less expense so 15m wide by 12m deep cost less than $50,000 with concrete slab, supplied and erected insulated Hangar , another one done by a better quality supplier and contactor at 18m wide by 12m with high ceiling and slab cost $100,000. The length of the hangar can be extended easily in the future but width can't be easily done. The cheaper hangars are done with C channel frame and the more expensive with I beams or H section steel beams also whether galvanised or cold gal painted also Insulation becomes another expense also colour or Gal cladding. The door system of the hangar will also determine price. Hope his helps.

Cam

Just finished a 12m wide by 20m deep hangar. 2.7 high at eaves. Cost 15.5k for shed (sheds online, highly recommend) about 2k for sliding doors 1 for concrete for footings. plus a lot for council and levelling.

I did all the building work (I'm a carpenter by trade) and I'd probably value that at maybe 5k. Oh, and 1k for roof insulation (the aluminium/paper is all you need to stop moisture)

btw if anyone is building a hangar and wants a professional hand, let me know. I can fly out and then my plane is a tax write off. @admin this is not advertising since it would be all for fun and a place to fly to.

I have been looking around also for options to build a hangar/workshed at my property. I need mine to be at least 18x9 maybe a bit larger as I want my tractor to go in there with the slasher attached. 24x10 would be even better but the costs go up dramatically. Also what type of doors are better or cheaper...its a big decision to get your head around. I know the smaller hanagrs built at Kilcoy by Chris Gratton shed were 36,000 and the larger ones were 56,000 but mine needs to be longer rather than more squareish as the Savannah will take up about 10mtrs wide and 7 or so mtrs deep the rest will be for the tractor which I need at least 8 mtrs deep. It will be facing east so the doors need to be considered how strong they are as well I dont want them to blow in. The opening at the front needs to be 3 mtrs to fit the tractor in so there will be doors to open at least 10 mtrs to fit the aircraft through and maybe a roller door for the tractor and the other openings. Any advice would be appreciated

Mark

What's your wind rating up there? Is it in a cyclonic category?

personally I'd go something like 12 wide (max in economical) 15 deep (5x3m bays) double sliders on front (4x3m) and a roller door at back. With good sliders i didn't need an access door, but it might be good idea. Not including slab, i'd guess 22k built.

The property is up near Childers so not in the cyclone area but I would like the shed constructed to a cyclone rating as you never know now with what the weather is doing and the tip is that cyclones will be moving more south

So getting this in my head looking at the front of the hangar with the sliding doors it would be 15mtrs wide but 12 mtrs deep?... if so I would want a roller door at the front and at the back directly behind it on the rear wall so I can drive the tractor or anything else straight through. What do you think

Mark

Thanks for the responses folks. Gives me a broad idea. Apart from the permanent structures has anybody had any experience of the fabric "transportable" ones ?

For that sort of price you can't go more than 12m wide, and even at that you have to check the wind rating. That would be 250mm c purlins for the frame. 12m is wide enough for a plane, or a tractor. So sliders on the front, then you could put a roller on each side on the last bay so you could drive through and park across the shed.

Remember that the doors could be the "weakest link" in a high wind or cyclone situation.

It is vital that the doors are not just off-the-shelf units purchased for value-for-money. They need to be properly braced and strengthened to the same wind speed category as the remaining structure. Otherwise they will deform under a heavy wind load and be blown in or (if they are not properly attached in accordance with the correct wind velocity rating) be blown off.

If you do it properly in line with good engineering principles and the wind is howling late at night, you can sleep soundly knowing that your hangar doors (and aeroplane) is safe.

Alan Shepherd, the American pioneer astronaut was pretty anxious about this kind of thing. He said:

"It is a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract"

Wind rating is worth looking at. Warwick is not in a cyclone area but being open (like it's an airfield!) I went up a level when I built.

A couple of years ago we had a storm where my whirly-birds spun that fast they compressed like mushrooms due to the centrifugal force. Told that was thus 100+km/hr wind.

Nothing else occured to me...others had damage. Actually blew a parked car out of one hanger!

This is not isolated...Watts Bridge also had a lot of damage a few years ago with another wind storm.

Extra cost not much when building...I think worth it.

Although no expearance with them, fabric makes a great sail!

All I know about fabric hangars is the story a few years ago from a big airshow in some other country where the temporary hangars blew over damaging planes inside, while most of those tied down were ok.

You would have to tiedown any aircraft in a fabric hangar, the idea is to loose the fabric in a windstorm but maintain the wire framework underneath, the fabric only serves as a barrier against sun and rain.

Hi Peter

I would agree about going the extra to cyclone rating. We got a quote for our house for the farm its sort of like a 2 storey shed on steroids its 350sq mtrs with a great patio out the front at the top floor. These types of all metal houses made from colourbond are class 1 rated not class 10 like sheds are. We got quote for the house at the local rating for Bundaberg and it was 54,000 and then we got the quote for a cyclone rated one as if it was in Cairns and that was 60,000 so only 6,000 more which I thought was very reasonable so we will get the higher rated one and I would do the same for the hangar/workshop. The doors for the hangar are what I am concerned about I would want the strongest ones of course within reason. I would have thought what I want and the size of the hangar I want inc the concrete floor would be around 30- 40,000. It sounds a lot but the hangars at Kilcoy they recently built were 36000 for the small and 56 for the larger ones but they are quite high as well

Mark

We've got a temporary shelter - described and pictured in this thread http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aircraft-covers-fuselage-wing.9807/#post-97025 - which cost us about $3.5k, custom built to suit an existing tarp that we had. The idea was it could be disassembled by one, but preferably 2 people and moved to another location. They can be cyclone rated.

I got a quote from a company that does cyclone rated semi circular shadecloth shelters that can be fastened to the ground with star pickets, or other models can span between shipping containers to get more height. Unfortunately the quote was $45k to cover a small plane.

Allshelter quoted approx $12.5k for 12x12x5 and $25k for 16x15x 5.5 for something similar. This is just the relocatable structure, earthworks, fixings extra.

Sue