Recreational Flying 7" GPS

Hi all

As you know Recreational Flying will be releasing in just a few weeks our own branded Recreational Flying 5" GPS unit...now I need your advice on what you would like as an option for a 7" version.

The 5" version has a screen type that is called "Resistive". This means that it uses one finger or a Stylus to select/enter things on the unit...it has car navigation for streets and a voice for directions like a normal car GPS. It has the option to have Oziexplorer pre-loaded with maps of your choice to use as an aviation GPS. It also has many other applications like a PDF Reader, heaps of games, Microsoft Office lite versions plus much more like Media Player, store photos etc. It uses the WindowsCE Operating system. The price of the unit will be $199. If you want Oziexplorer, maps and other aviation related goodies all pre-installed on the unit ready to go will add $100 making the price of the units ready for aviation use at $299...price may come down a little but let's start at that. I am also looking at other software packages instead of Oziexplorer but more on that later...so $199 for the unit plus aviation application options.

I can get 7" versions of these spec'd the same as the 5" and their price would be say an extra $75.

However, I am working on an alternative 7" version that is much much better but also more expensive but I don't want to tie up capital in having 2 different 7" units unless it is necessary based on what you would likely go for if you were going to get a 7" version.

The "Option B" 7" version is not a dedicated GPS unit like the 5" unit is but instead, a 7" Tablet PC that works like an Ipad or your smart mobile phone but 7". It has all the builtin GPS moving map features as the 5" but the screen is a multi touch capacitive screen which means, like your smart phone, you can "pinch" the screen with 2 fingers to shrink/enlarge etc. It has Bluetooth, a camera, rotation, WiFi, Network connection and USB. They have a Google Chrome Web Browser when browsing the internet, check your emails and access either Microsoft Office Web versions or Google Docs for your Office programs. The Operating System of these units is Android so you can make use of any application that runs on Android phones etc. Using a NextG USB modem plugged into the side you can use it for data/phone OR I can pay even more and get 3G (including NextG) builtin so you just need to insert your sim card into the slot. The units with the builtin 3G will cost as a base unit about $375-$399 and then add to that any aviation apps like Oziexplorer, maps or other flight planning/pilot apps..say $499 for the aviation unit with builtin 3G...take $50 off if builtin 3G is not needed. They look something like:

2047037478_Tablet7.jpg.7f0e79fde6d84b5ddf5f7dde5297d12b.jpg

So over to you, what do you think is the best way for us to go for the 7" units...Dedicated 7" GPS units like the 5" at a base price of $275, 7" Tablet PC with plugin 3G at $349 or 7" Tablet PC with builtin 3G at $399...what would you pay for, what would you prefer if you were going to purchase one, what spec's or features would you prefer to have...please let me know...thanks for your help!

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

an inbulit 3G solution for Australia would need to work at 850Mhz (telstra Next G), 900ish Mhz(optus) 2100ish Mhz (optus) plus what ever vodaphone/hutchinsons frequency was (from memory may have been 2200, or reversed with the optus hifreq allocation. You will have to check that the factory supplied option covers all the frequencies as historically the usual case was that for most inbuilt options if it covered 850 it didnt cover 900 and vise versa.... It may be that quad band is standard now.

Andy

Well, for me Ian, I'd go for the 5' unit solely because of my experience with the 7' unit and the reflections which nigh on make the unit un-useable. Not sure if this would be solved with the capacitive screen. The other issue for me is the physical size of the 7' unit and the lack of space in a Thruster cockpit - yeah I know I shouldn't need a GPS given a Thruster can't fly out of sight in a week!!!

I'm going to be in the market for one of your 5' units as the heat got to my 7' unit last summer - they don't seem to handle being left on the dash in full sun, middle of summer:sad:

Pud

Ian would this be a standard size sim card slot, e.g. would it work with the sim out of my telstra usb modem?

Yes it would

Thanks but I need to know preferences in the two different types og 7" units...dedicated gps or tablet pc gps...this is being written on my iPad with a nextg data card so I know what the 7" tablet pc version would be like but they are more expensive

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Ian

My preference is for the lower cost 7 inch unit, providing the in cockpit vis is good. Reason? ... I already have a mobile phone, computer etc and would rather a dedicated lower cost gps unit for aircraft navigation ..... I will definately consider a 7 inch unit at $275 ... but no promises yet!

cheers

RD

Thanks mate...I am not after people saying what they will get, I just need to know "IF" they were going to purchase a 7" gps which one would they most likely go for if they had a choice

My preference is for the "KISS" principle. Many of us older? fliers have enough trouble keeping up with how to use a mobile phone to make and receive phone calls, let alone the 26 other things they can also do. Must be something to do with eyes that need multifocal spectacles just to see enough to get by daily, and arthritic fingers that don't cope well with keypads. So, the basic GPS sounds good to me! and I'm interested.

(But I still fly, so there!)

I would go for the Tablet, built in GPS with a NextG sim, I already have a 5" Mio with OziExplorer on the Windscreen but could run a second on the Tablet as a Backup, OzRunways when Android version released for electronic ERSA (hard copy in bag), and access to Internet and Email.

Ian, you advise extra $100 for Ozi and Maps, are these my Maps? With Maptrax winding down (maybe) i'm considering getting the whole set for Aus.

......I am working on an alternative 7" version that is much much better but also more expensive.... a 7" Tablet PC that works like an Ipad or your smart mobile phone but 7". It has all the builtin GPS moving map features as the 5" but the screen is a multi touch capacitive screen which means, like your smart phone, you can "pinch" the screen with 2 fingers to shrink/enlarge etc. It has Bluetooth, a camera, rotation, WiFi, Network connection and USB. They have a Google Chrome Web Browser when browsing the internet, check your emails and access either Microsoft Office Web versions or Google Docs for your Office programs. The Operating System of these units is Android so you can make use of any application that runs on Android phones etc. Using a NextG USB modem plugged into the side....

My preference is the 7" Tablet PC with inbuilt GPS and plugin 3G at $349 plus ERSA and moving map based on the ASA charts like AirNav VFR as extras. It will need to have capacity for extra memory, 12v dc charging off a cigar lighter socket and, most importantly, be sunlight readable. I would like a transparent cover for it so I don't scratch the screen or change the display every time I touch it inadvertently. I don't need to use it as a phone (I have both next G phone and USB modem) and I don't particularly want to listen to music on it. What attracts me is the prospect of an affordable back-up for the Garmin and laptop-based moving map I have fitted to my machine now.

kaz

I would go for the Tablet, built in GPS with a NextG sim, I already have a 5" Mio with OziExplorer on the Windscreen but could run a second on the Tablet as a Backup, OzRunways when Android version released for electronic ERSA (hard copy in bag), and access to Internet and Email.Ian, you advise extra $100 for Ozi and Maps, are these my Maps? With Maptrax winding down (maybe) i'm considering getting the whole set for Aus.

Maptrax are in consultation with an overseas party to continue the maps however if that fails I have spoken to Neil about Recreational Flying doing it

7 inch, all bells and whistles too. I agree with BlackRod...:big_grin:... A good quality adjustable mounting thingy too

regards

Marcus