Report an RA-Aus pilot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motzart, the way I read it what I posted replaces the old 229 Form, the Incident Report

I had trouble with the link I posted, so you can Google ATSB, then click on Aviation then Accident or Incident

This is what it says about a REPCON

REPCON is a voluntary confidential reporting scheme.

REPCON allows any person who has an aviation safety concern to report it to the ATSB confidentially.

Protection of the reporter's identity and any individual referred to in the report is a primary element of the scheme.

REPCON is for any matter which endangers the safety of the aircraft, EXAMPLES:

Unsafe scheduling or rostering of crew

Crew or Aircraft bypassing safety procedures because of commercial pressures

Non compliance with rules or procedures

The REPCON looks more like something you would use for Procedural or Administration issues - a whistleblower outlet

An Accident or Incident report (either Immediately Reportable Matter, or Routine Reportable Matter), usually relates to a stuff up by one or more pilots.

Under those circumstances ATSB will want to come back to you and ask questions about the evidence you submitted, particularly if the other pilot has a different story (and they usually do if a suspension is about to happen.

if you really wanted advice on whether to report someone or not

If you read my first post properly, you will see that I did not ask advice about whether to report someone or not, I asked how to report someone. There is a world of difference. Please read the posts properly before commenting on my lack of logic or similar.

• Like 1

Last year a drifter pilot was "performing phenomenal skills of piloting prowess" at low level at a fly- in. Seen by hundreds it went unreported, two days later he was dead, his passenger dead, and a widow was left with an unborn child.

Therein lies the problem: lots of people saw it and nothing was done about the pilot's "phenominal" skills. I believe there could have been a very different outcome if only someone had gone to the pilot and said:

"Hey Joe/Jill, what you did there was really pushing the envelope. One small gust and you would be biting the dust. Not only are you endangering yourself and any passenger you may be carrying but your example may be copied by others leading to them hurting or killing themselves. You are also harming all recreational flyers' hard-won freedoms around the country because if you keep this up, there will be stricter regulation that no one will enjoy. You really have to stop doing this Joe/Jill! If I see this again, I have no option but to take this further for your own protection as well as for the protection of others."

• Like 1

I don't really see why anyone would need to get their feathers all puffed up about the discussion and where it has ended up - the can of worms was opened, let them crawl where they may. What does concern me is we keep quoting horrendous examples of obvious illegal behaviour or poor airmanship and then equating it to the current situation. If I might quote from post #19 " In short, the other pilot's radio calls were unprofessional and, by extension, unsafe " A very different scenario from our looping C172 or aerobatting Drifter.

• Like 1

Carl you are right mate. What has been interesting though is the various views on reporting. I was attempting to portray what I believe is an essentially more effective option to reporting to authorities. I believe approaching the offender with the 'right' attitude is more effective than either of the two alternatives which are 1. Say nothing and 2. Report the incident to an authority.David

Alternative 1... you should talk about...

Alternative 2... you keep confidential... and use if alternative 1 is not an option...

Simple really...

I can think of at least one example where unprofessional radio calls can lead to an unsafe situation;

A busy circuit on a calm day, runway in use is 20, aircraft calls "10 miles to the west", arrives 4 minutes later from the east. Calls "turning downwind" (but does not indicate runway) and a few minutes later the aircraft is spotted turning base for runway 02. Several calls go out to the aircraft but there is no response. Fortunately the aircraft doesn't turn final and flys off to the west. One aircraft in the circuit managed to see the rego number of the offending aircraft.

So here is a hypothetical situation where unprofessional radio calls and poor airmanship could have led to an accident, but fortunately nothing happened. They cannot talk to the pilot, or call the CFI from their airfield as they do no know who they are.

I would: contact Mick Poole (as the a/c had a RAA rego) via phone or email, giving a factual account of the situation with names of other witnesses if possible. If Mick Poole recommended me to also contact other authorities I would do so, otherwise I'd leave it up to RA-Aus to self regulate.