Parkes to Mildura for a weekend

ParkesFlyer

Hi Everyone,

Well, I've done it. I've decided to bite the bullet and plan my first big flying expedition! I'm hiring the local Foxbat and (pending weather of course) will head off on Friday the 24th for what I expect to be a 3.5-4hr trip (not counting a rest break at Hay) depending on the conditions of the day. I've never flown anywhere and "stayed over", so I'll have some new things to contend with, like refueling at an unfamiliar AP, and tying the Foxy down for the night.

On that point, I've called the Mildura Aero club and got a message back to say that there are plenty of tie-down anchors available so all I should need is some rope. So is the "double locking half hitch" the preferred knot? I guess "firm" is the tightnes to go for, making sure there is no slack? Should I chock the wheels?

I've got my ASIC, checked out the ERC-low, and plotted my course on the 2 relevant WACs. I've talked a friend into coming with me for company and before anyone asks (its a fair question) yes, I have my PAX and cross country endorsement...but I wonder what I've forgotten?

Trouble is I don't know what I don't know... :big_grin:

PF

Hi Everyone,Well, I've done it. I've decided to bite the bullet and plan my first big flying expedition!

Good on you PF.

Just go and do it, the first real trip away I did was a 6.5 hr. run with a fuel stop after 3hrs. Mate i packed the plane then re-packed and then did it again because I was sure I had forgot something, I took my 'Mr. funnel', 2ltr. hyper2 penrite oil (for the 582) set of 'screw in tiedowns' and ropes, (I have tent springs spliced into my ropes), leather brief case used as flight bag with ersa, wacs, vnc and vtc wizz wheel and nav plotter, spare batteries for gps. and phone charger, made all necessary ph. calls then did final check on airservices site for weather and notams, then blasted off. Good trip to fuel point, next leg a bit more interesting when crossing the range between Glenn Innes and Sth. Grafton, was the strongest cross-wind I had ever experienced at the Sth. Grafton strip but all finished well.

Mate the only way to learn is to go and do it, listen to the radio and don't be afraid to use it, and don't go anywhere you haven't thought about first, mark out check points on the map and check your times as you go.

There are others out there who can give you the sort of info. your looking for, that's just my experience from my first cross country, I have done several since and every one is easier but still requires prior planning.

When I got to Grafton I had to buy shaving gear, jocks and socks.....had shirts and jeans in ok. so I did forget something after all.

Cheers Davo.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Hi Everyone,Well, I've done it. I've decided to bite the bullet and plan my first big flying expedition! I'm hiring the local Foxbat and (pending weather of course) will head off on Friday the 24th ...but I wonder what I've forgotten?

:big_grin:

PF

Hi PF

Your tie down kit and an ELT plus some water and energy food. Some of the country you intend flying over suffers from "sameness" so good heading and time keeping is really important. Your pax will be able to act as your check captain for those :thumb_up:

If you get the chance, pop into Wentworth and say hello, too. Another friendly bunch and their fuel price is usually very competitive. Have a good one!

kaz

Hi PFYour tie down kit and an ELT plus some water and energy food. Some of the country you intend flying over suffers from "sameness" so good heading and time keeping is really important. Your pax will be able to act as your check captain for those :thumb_up:

If you get the chance, pop into Wentworth and say hello, too. Another friendly bunch and their fuel price is usually very competitive. Have a good one!

kaz

Thanks Kaz,

A trip to Wentie won't be out of the question, so I'll check the price while I'm there!

PF

When you land at Mildura and taxi over to fuel point take care NOT to go over the blue lines around the RPT parking/terminal area.

Hey Heon,

OK, I'll now be watching for the blue lines, thanks. I'll be looking for the aero-club hangar, as my contact told me that's where I'll find some tie-down points (I guess I'll start by looking for other parked planes!).

Forgot: fuel is Mobil card!

Hey Heon,

I'm finding this info really helpful, thanks very much!

Would this be the oft-quoted "carnet card"? How would I get hold of one of these?

If I understand the ERSA correctly I think I can get fuel with a regular credit card on weekdays between 08:00 & 17:00 (est), so hopefully I'll be right without the Mobil-card.

Thanks again,

PF

Hey Heon,I'm finding this info really helpful, thanks very much!

Would this be the oft-quoted "carnet card"? How would I get hold of one of these?

If I understand the ERSA correctly I think I can get fuel with a regular credit card on weekdays between 08:00 & 17:00 (est), so hopefully I'll be right without the Mobil-card.

Thanks again,

PF

The fuel man has a little office just over from the bowser and you can pay him by credit card if he is there and he usually is weekdays. The code for the gate is on the inside so make a note of it before you go out of airside.

kaz

The fuel man has a little office just over from the bowser and you can pay him by credit card if he is there and he usually is weekdays. The code for the gate is on the inside so make a note of it before you go out of airside.kaz

Thanks Kaz, good to know!

:)

Ha, yeah, the gate code. Nearly caught myself at MIA last year. Landed, taxied and parked, jumped out busting for a pee. Of course I left the phone and pen in the cockpit, but didn't want to couldn't go back:jive:. As I'm standing there doing my business:whistling:, the code started rolling through the head. Was it this way or that way? Luckily, got it right on the first go. Lesson learnt 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Ha, yeah, the gate code. Nearly caught myself at MIA last year. Landed, taxied and parked, jumped out busting for a pee. Of course I left the phone and pen in the cockpit, but didn't want to couldn't go back:jive:. As I'm standing there doing my business:whistling:, the code started rolling through the head. Was it this way or that way? Luckily, got it right on the first go. Lesson learnt 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Heh, I can just picture that happening! Noted!

I've flown in to and stayed at both Mildura and Wentworth before, more than once at each.

I'll second Kaz's recommendation for Wentworth.

No gate codes to worry about, no ASIC card needed, just a couple of kay's into town and the main hotel/motel in Wentworth is better than you're likely to find in Mildura and without trucks going past all night.

Cheers,

Glen

I've flown in to and stayed at both Mildura and Wentworth before, more than once at each.I'll second Kaz's recommendation for Wentworth.

No gate codes to worry about, no ASIC card needed, just a couple of kay's into town and the main hotel/motel in Wentworth is better than you're likely to find in Mildura and without trucks going past all night.

Cheers,

Glen

Hey Glen,

Might do Wentworth as a day trip, it sounds well worth it. I'll be staying with family on a property a few miles west of the Mildura AP, so from a convenience point of view that's where I'll head, hopefully it'll all be ok!

Carnet Cards are a bit confusing ParksFlyer.

I got BP and Shell direct (Shell carnet replaced by normal credit card now). Never needed a Mobil until, you guessed it, I was in Mildura WITHOUT a fuel man in his hut!

You rearly need a BP, Mobil, normal credit/debit card (with pin), and cash/cheque book if you are planning to travel. Skyfuel (there are probably others) should be able to help with the first two:1300 759 383 (PO Box 6006 The Oakes 2570.

Carnet Cards are a bit confusing ParksFlyer.I got BP and Shell direct (Shell carnet replaced by normal credit card now). Never needed a Mobil until, you guessed it, I was in Mildura WITHOUT a fuel man in his hut!

You rearly need a BP, Mobil, normal credit/debit card (with pin), and cash/cheque book if you are planning to travel. Skyfuel (there are probably others) should be able to help with the first two:1300 759 383 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1300 759 383 end_of_the_skype_highlighting (PO Box 6006 The Oakes 2570.

Hey Heon,

Thanks for the info about Skyfuel, I've already filled out my application form!

Yeh, well I have to sit to do my thinking meaning I had longer to forget that code and got locked out... the dog and the Auster were on the inside!

kaz

AAAAARRG!

The trip is off, the Foxy has engine trouble and is out of service for a week or so...looks like I'm in for a long drive!

This trip to Mildura has been my dream since I started flying, so I'll definitely still do it, but not this time. Thanks to everyone for all your great advice!

020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

PF.