Was: Aerobatic Training Camp but now a thread about nothing

djpacro

Weather wasn't the best with fog delaying things on the Saturday and keeping some from attending. So, more discussions including new topics of maximum elevator deflections and selective following of rules by some individuals.

We'll have some more occasions like this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Another day sitting and watching the grass grow.

I went to YMEN last weekend and listened to Mac Job and Geoff Goodall talk about the old days with some good slides to go with them. Mac went through the Kyeema story and the subsequent introduction of DME, and Geoff talked about some of the very early types in Australia up to WWII.

I was the youngest one there, DJP!!!

kaz

• Like 1

On another subject - with the criticism of a discussion on stalling recently, I should go through my posts in this part of the forum and delete anything relating to actually flying aerobatics.

Time for a few of us young ones, inc Mac, to get together at the Pig to talk matters of significance to aviators.On another subject - with the criticism of a discussion on stalling recently, I should go through my posts in this part of the forum and delete anything relating to actually flying aerobatics.

Hope to get one more training camp in before Xmas.

Please don't delete your posts DJP. I haven't read all of them yet, but what I have read have been way too valuable to us ordinary pilots for them to be simply trashed.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10
...On another subject - with the criticism of a discussion on stalling recently, I should go through my posts in this part of the forum and delete anything relating to actually flying aerobatics...

Don't take it to heart David.

I thought it was an interesting thread that Tomo started. That said, I lost interest when it deteriorated into supposedly humorous posts. Seems, it has recovered in latter pages.

There are those who want this site to be a font of all knowledge, but the reality is that cannot be achieved in a forum to whom every man and his dog posts. Never-the-less, it still has value as a provider of information, albeit that the authenticity of the information has to be ascertained by the reader.

Other difficulties in any forum are that:-

• the majority of readers seldom read linked information. I've often had replies to posts where I have linked information that proves this point.

• a percentage of the readers lack comprehension skills, resulting in posts that take discussion significantly off-topic

• posters often post incomplete or out of context responses that are then misunderstood.

Going back and deleting posts from threads only exacerbates the problem, as it removes context from the discussion. In a Forum, it is the thread (discussion) that is of value (hopefully), rather than an individual post. This is in contrast to Blogs, where the Blog article will contain all aspects of the topic that the author wants to get across.

I value your posts, as do many others. Don't worry about the rest, even though it may lower your motivation to help.

Have to agree with D 10's thoughts. Once something is out there it has a life/direction of its own. . Deleting some parts often makes a lot of the rest lack sense and continuity. Forums are never perfect and often are almost disfunctional. This one does OK (most times). There's some good people here. Nev

• Like 2

Time for a few of us young ones, inc Mac, to get together at the Pig to talk matters of significance to aviators.On another subject - with the criticism of a discussion on stalling recently, I should go through my posts in this part of the forum and delete anything relating to actually flying aerobatics.

Hope to get one more training camp in before Xmas.

A Pig meet (meat?) sounds good anyway DJ - name a date & I'll try & be there ;) but try to make it a couple of weeks away :)...............................busy on last job for the year but would love a catch up & listen to the "discussion".

H

Thanks D10 and I totally agree Nev however statements like

This is a thread which could get someone hurt, so you either need to provide a correct answer, or admit that this was a facetious question.

will get a response from me. It was not facetious (not when I ask it anyway) and I currently have neither the time nor inclination to argue with him as to how that thread can help people - so I withdrew. The subject will come up again if Ian continues to post extracts from the excellent tutorials.Whenever I have eaten at the Pig recently I've had the vege platter. Not sure if we can fit a night in before Xmas however I will ask him. Perhaps a private room at the pub as it is also within walking distance for him.

Time for a few of us young ones, inc Mac, to get together at the Pig to talk matters of significance to aviators....

I was sitting in the Doake clubroom this afternoon with Dick Gower, Eddie Lachowycz and others talking about the 50th birthday party for YCEM planned March next year and so many of the "old" names have now passed on it made me ponder my mortality!

We will celebrate this milestone on the weekend of 17th/18th March 2012 and hope you will fly-in on the day (the grass should be fine for the Decathlon).

If you can help with contact details for previous members and photos or Memorabilia from days past please let us know soon so we can send invitations and display any items on the day.

Cheers

kaz

... Not sure if we can fit a night in before Xmas however I will ask him. Perhaps a private room at the pub as it is also within walking distance for him.

I haven't been there since I moved on from Parks around 1995, but I think I can still find my way 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

kaz

It was not facetious (not when I ask it anyway) and I currently have neither the time nor inclination to argue with him as to how that thread can help people - so I withdrew.

David the decent thing to do would have been to provide an answer to your question; that would have prevented people straying off into incorrect assumptions.

I certainly didn't need to be proven right or wrong, I was thinking about students and low experience pilots.