Circuit Hell

Noel does advocate that, but I am not a believer. You might do it and then have to fly another aircraft and be too dependant on it to adapt fully at the time. The more aircraft you fly the more you can/should be adaptable. I just can't see drawing lines on windscreens as being the norm. Do it if you want to but......? Nev

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps an "Attitude Reference Point" might help? This is just a mark or marks on the windscreen drawn with a whiteboard marker to give you a reference point on your aircraft to line up with horizon or runway. Download the free "Fly Better" series of books from here. In Book 2, lessons one and two deal with how to make reference marks and flying and landing using these reference marks. I haven't tried them in an aeroplane yet.

I am actually getting them printed out, my wifes best friend works in a printery :) $40.00 for the set, not to bad! I just cant read books online, I get distracted, and go off and purchase more pilot stuff!

If yo are sitting high in the seat, it becomes harder to juddge aircraft attitude. (and landings). It might pay to get a lower seat cushion. Nev

I am getting the hang of it, slowly, there are no more adjustments for me in the tecnam sadly, the super echo out at boonah was a much better fit, (but not by much), but I like the club atmosphere of caboolture. Its just one thing that I have to keep doing is just bob the head down, it seems to work a lot better, and when i need to level off, this is helped in the tecnam as the glide approach is noseish down, which helps me see whats going on as I reference... As with the windscreen marks, I read that, I feel that If I grow dependent on them now, its going to be another thing to learn, and my understanding of them is that you focus through the mark on the windscreen to a point on the ground, I am never going to say its a good or bad thing for anyone, whatever you can do to help, I feel its not for me, as I believe that I'll spend a lot of time focussing on the marks rather than the big picture, just my thoughts... but thanks for the idea, would be interested to know if anyone else has used them and what there thoughts are...

Red I hate to say it but I do get the feeling that if don't fit the aircraft, you a re fighting an uphill battle.

You need to have a reference point from your sight line, so bobbing your head isn't the best because you won't get to the same place each time. You could ask your instructor to fly some landings for you, and really look at the picture outside.

OK, here's a challenge to help, I want you to write on here, tell everyone, exactly what you see during that flare and landing. What is the attitude you are looking for? Look for where the nose is with reference to the horizon and let us all know. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif Don't say what your instructor says because with your height the picture might be different.

You could break it down by flying level over the runway and taking your time, try to not let it land. Your instructor an show that to you too.

When are you flying next?

As with the windscreen marks, I read that, I feel that If I grow dependent on them now, its going to be another thing to learn, and my understanding of them is that you focus through the mark on the windscreen to a point on the ground, I am never going to say its a good or bad thing for anyone, whatever you can do to help, I feel its not for me, as I believe that I'll spend a lot of time focussing on the marks rather than the big picture, just my thoughts... but thanks for the idea, would be interested to know if anyone else has used them and what there thoughts are...

No worries, I don't think they're for me either. You seemed to be having trouble with reference and seeing I was reading about it recently I thought I would throw it into the mix. I'm no expert, I'm only a student too!

I do use reference marks on my tractor windscreens though....to show me where to drive when using the 20m boom sprayer.

Hey, Red, how'd you go this last weekend? Feel it improving? One thing I found really helped me was to do all the talking. We get so used to the instructor talking us through the circuit that, when they go quiet letting us try and get it on our own, all we hear is wind noise...and still don't get it. Start talking yourself all the way though the circuit, and I mean out loud. Pretend you are explaining every step to your instructor who has suddenly forgotten everything and needs reminding. As you hear yourself say the step, you instinctively do the action. This helps you develop the art of staying ahead of the plane instead behind.

Oh, and as you improve, make sure you are still aware of what's going on inside the cockpit too, park brake locks have been known to mysteriously engage in flight! (some instructors are just sadistic!)

• Like 1

Guest pookemon
I am actually getting them printed out, my wifes best friend works in a printery :) $40.00 for the set, not to bad! I just cant read books online, I get distracted, and go off and purchase more pilot stuff!

I can recommend the Kindle. I bought one for my Father and my wife liked it so much she bought me one for me for my birthday. And I haven't seen it since... 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

They will show PDFs etc., and are really just like reading a book - though with a book it's a little hard to change the text size etc.

Hey, Red, how'd you go this last weekend? Feel it improving? One thing I found really helped me was to do all the talking. We get so used to the instructor talking us through the circuit that, when they go quiet letting us try and get it on our own, all we hear is wind noise...and still don't get it. Start talking yourself all the way though the circuit, and I mean out loud. Pretend you are explaining every step to your instructor who has suddenly forgotten everything and needs reminding. As you hear yourself say the step, you instinctively do the action. This helps you develop the art of staying ahead of the plane instead behind.Oh, and as you improve, make sure you are still aware of what's going on inside the cockpit too, park brake locks have been known to mysteriously engage in flight! (some instructors are just sadistic!)

(Should have gotten back to you all sooner, I've already put up my weekly thoughs and reflections on my facebook back for my 8 friends/relatives that I keep in contact with! I find it helps me to put it down on paper (so to speak) so i can go over it all!)

Howdy all, well survived another 2 hours, my regular instructor was busy for the day so had a great english gent for the day, the CFI of the local microlight school, I just cant master the art of talking to myself, I find it very very distracting, its something that I will have to work on.

So yes, slightly modified circuits again, I've been shown by several instructors now that you never turn before 500 feet, so in inference I turn just after 500 feet and start climbing, the instructor made a good point, it doesnt really matter where you turn (as long as its before 1000 feet!) but it really depends on the aircraft, the day, the wind etc etc etc, so we tried some slightly different circuits, and I found I was getting to 1000 feet easier, Right foot isnt going to sleep as much as the past few weeks, but its still looking down at the slip ball every so often as I can see/feel that we're not flying straight or moving in the way It should be, the whole concept of flying into the wind in circuit is a little strange, as we had a mild southerly wind, and having to point the nose a little more into the wind so we're not flying off course, is a little odd, I didnt do it for the downwind leg on one loop, and found myself getting close to the end of the runway without even noticing, I find being the spam in the can, I try to fix my glide problems by pulling back slightly and moving from 55knts to 50knts, never a good thing, but I'm starting to notice the changes and fix it without to much thought, but it does require a glance at the ASI to make sure everything is as expected.. The throttle in my tecnam is giving me all kinds of hell, doing a power off glide for the approach I pull the power when abeam, trim, fly the aircraft level, dont descend, wait for flap speed, and pull out first stage of flaps, this is all good, problem is that when turning base, even though the power is pulled out, usually late base I notice that the engine isnt quite idling, there is 2200rpm in the system, so you pull it again, and then it comes good, mostly, something else to keep in the back of my mind, that and the flaps, my instructors all say they need two things to teach me, a stick thats labelled FLAPS the other labelled right Rudder... But I am getting there... The glides have been Very high for the last few hours, usually around 600 feet on final, not adapting to the situation, because of unknowns I believe, is a problem, we fixed up some of the problems, I extended downwind a little, (Funny story, The place I normally make the call for base turn, it dawned on me that If I turned I'll be high, but my brain had already actuated the PTT, and I had talked the words, but I saved a little face, I just indicated that I was Late downwind rather than turning base :) Nice save.. the instructor knew what I was upto though.. mentioned that I shouldnt fly by markers, rather fly the circui by where you need to be.. good advice)

Couple of 'Good Student' Landings as it was put, so kind, and some jarrers, only one go around, where we had a bit of discussion on the correct methods and incorrect methods, I've only done two go arounds before, and never really asked for a brief, so my understanding is when you've made the decision get the power in, control the aircraft fly level, not above 500ft agl, trim, flaps, wait until clear of the runway (oh and make a radio call to let people know what your upto) and resume climbout and crosswind etc, It was mentioned that when I levelled off at 500ft agl (540 at ycab), what am I doing?, I asked for a little silence because getting the bloody trim back on the tecnam is well, hard work, trying to put forward pressure on the stick, fighting it at high speed, keeping it below 60knts, pulling the flaps and flying the aircraft, is well hard work, he mentioned just let the aircraft climb, I was always told as a YOU MUST DO rule, is to never break 500ftagl and when you're clear of the runway you can then proceed with your takeoff profile... just different ways that different people fly I think...

Couple of the landings where going to be less than desirable, but I got there in the end, on climb out, it was mentioned that they didnt look like they where going to make it, one set I was actually shown how to do some S Turns to help bleed of some of my extra height, something that I've never done before, that was very exciting, as the instructor mentioned it allows for 'Grin' factor, to do some turns to help bleed off height, I know you could always side slip it down, but I'm not there yet, I like the S turns as it keeps you centred on the world ahead of you, and as long as you keep the nose down in the turns, the speed doesnt bleed off, and it helps increase the distance to the strip, and decreases your height... Couple of the landings where good, I just remembered to keep using my feet, still a little worried about pulling the controls back on landing, my brain still re-inforces if you pull the controls back that abruptly your going to stall the aircraft, but being at such a low speed, and soo close to the ground, this is desirable.. its just a matter of getting the spam in the can to do what is desirable...

So yes, starting to come together, I enjoyed the company of the new instructor, He's way to cool for me! One of the first times that I've actually had a chat in flight, really helps you relax and takes your mind of some of the more demanding things, and keeps you centred...

Oh.. And I was filling out the my logbook, and the local CT Distributer asked me through the CFI/FI if I wanted to go for a flight in there new demonstrator... I didnt even have time to fill out the book properly, (bad I know), We went for a 1 and a bit hour run around from caboolture to caloundra inland and back to caboolture via glasshouse... The first time that I've ever actually gone for a flight, and the most fun I've had in an aircraft ever, though I didnt get to fly, just sitting there admiring all the very pretty playstations in the dash, and the world around us was very neat!

So yes, back again this weekend for another 2 hours... With some more concerted effort on my part I am sure I'll get there... Currently reading a plethora of books on the subject, always helps to get another group of peoples experiences...

Red

Oh and yes, I am waiting for the day that they start fiddling with things in the cockpit while I'm trying to do my checks... hence one of the reasons why I am so overly thorough with my preflights, being slightly mistrusting of instructors I am just waiting for the missing fuel cap, the rag in the exhaust pipe, the Altimter wound past 10000 feet all those kinds of cruel things...

I can sympathise with you Red. If you take a look at my blog you'll find quite a few posts with me bemoaning about whether I'll ever learn to land. I still do some absolute shockers too - best one in the last few months was during a PPL training flight where I tried to do a flapless landing with a final approach speed of 100kts (I wish I was joking)...luckily I realised before I got below 50ft and tried to actually land the thing! My FI just looked bemused

The thing that fixed me was putting a cushion under me, but I'm not sure if you're as vertically challenged as I am so may not have the same problem.

Another thing I did was to 'fly' circuits in my backyard - I walked endless circles around my lawn making the calls at each corner and doing my downwind checks etc - it definitely helped me get it cemented in my head so I didn't have to think about it so much while I was flying.

A final thought is, what is your mental attitude when you come in to land? For a while I was always thinking 'oh no, time to land, I wonder what I'll mess up this time etc' and knowing that my FI was mentally (and sometimes physically) getting into the 'ready position' didn't help, then (after my solo I admit, but hopefully the advice/idea is still valid), I started thinking instead 'ok, time to land, let's do this thing!' and not doubting whether or not I *could* land it, just getting on with it. Just a thought anyway :)

Guest pookemon
knowing that my FI was mentally (and sometimes physically) getting into the 'ready position' didn't help,

It took me alot of landings before I noticed this occurring. My CFI just moves his hands down onto his knees and the pedals go a little heavy. Then with my solo landings it feels weird because the controls are a little lighter. Noticing it means you're getting more aware of your surroundings, and not just the runway in front.

We went for a 1 and a bit hour run around from caboolture to caloundra inland and back to caboolture via glasshouse... The first time that I've ever actually gone for a flight, and the most fun I've had in an aircraft ever, though I didnt get to fly, just sitting there admiring all the very pretty playstations in the dash, and the world around us was very neat!

Hey Red, that is an awesome feeling. I clearly remember going for my first fly. No instruction, just flying for the fun of it. My instructor called me up and offered me a burl with him in a friend's Jabiru SP (the flying schools' J160 was in the middle of having a overhaul, so we were both itching for a fly). Just to be sitting there, looking at the scenery was great, and really refreshing after many circuits.

Keep up the good work!

It sounds like you are having a great time, not hell at all! It is good to hear of your progress.

Are you doing any powered approaches at all, or are they all glides? A powered approach gives you many more options and keeps the engine warm, a glide approach is either a practise for an engine problem, or an indication that the approach hasn't been spot on!

Do ask for a bit more of a briefing on go arounds, on some aircraft they are really hard work and the technique can differ a bit - some need a bit of flap up quicky, others can climb with some flap, but do look for a positive rate of climb, then get out of there! Climb up to circuit height, having some room underneath you is a good thing. One exception though - do look out for any aircraft that might be joining the circuit midfield crosswind at circuit height.

When are you next at YCAB?

Redozbriz,

Sorry to say but keep at it and learn to do it very well. I now had my Certificate for some time, what do I do when I go for a flight? The first thing is to do a circuit, if I do it well, then I go on to where I was I intended to fly to in the first place. If I do it badly I do another one until I get it right then I go flying. I actually enjoy an immaculate circuit; there is a feeling of satisfaction that I can fly well.

Allegro 2000

• Like 2

All good advice Red- and sounding a lot like what we've been talking about. Ccts are the finishing school for all the basic flying phases. Your path has been walked by many others, lot's on this site no doubt. If it was easy everyone would be doing it- and we don't really want that- look at the roads!

• Like 2

Howdy BallPoint and Mazda :) I am going to be there bright and early on sunday at YCAB (Around 8am), have to get the tax done on saturday, so I can get some more spending money to go around in rectangles ;)

Its all about a positive attitude, and keeping at it, I know I'm going to get it wrong some of the time, I just have to work at it, and really think about what I am doing, I find when I'm in robot mode, I tend to not pay any attention to whats going on, and just fly without thinking, last week was the first week in a while I improvised and tryed what I've been told over and over and actually got the aircraft on the ground.

More reading and more practice !! And if anyone feels the need to donate $140,000 for my very own brand new CTLS, I wouldnt say no...!

Thanks everyone for your kind words, another 2 hours on sunday this week and away we go!

Howdy again, I think another solid weekend, except for one 'brain snap' (Lovely illustration of an error chain in action, Some turbulence, then a thermal, then missing the base call, then coming in a little high, a little flat, and then landing on three wheels, and not paying much more attention.. We both looked at eachother and didnt have a lot to say about that one..) But the rest where I believe passable student landings, no slamming it down.. just have to limit my movements on the controls alittle more when closer to the ground, a couple of two for ones, but good positive feelings all the way around..

Reverted to looking at the ASI Again, bugger of a thing, it feels so right to look at it, just have to get through this, we covered it up for the last 5 circuits, without a lot of prompting, except for the one where I went to sleep, it amasing what you can achieve with a bit of concentration outside and not looking at the guages.. Couple of problems keeping captured height, especially when on downwind, still coming in a little high, but thats more a judgement call when to turn for base, If I extended just a little more out on downwind, and pulled the flaps in a little earlier (towards the second lessons middle this was under control) would have looked a lot more nicer.

Went onto Engine Failures in Circuit, and got a demo of an engine failure on takeoff, enjoyed them, its truly amasing what looks good from one angle is rather nasty from another angle, just have to remember not to make rash or snap decisions, but to make a decision and weigh the options...

So yes, all and all a good experience, a Chipmunk had a read Engine failure on Takeoff as I arrived, so that was interesting.. an omen? :)

ReD

Comes down to the patience of the instructors really.. When I get my pilot certificate I'm going to get two little paddles/sticks made up and painted for them..

One that says Right Rudder, the other one that stated Are you going to pull the flap?

:)

hey red....some of us instructors aren't trying to trick you....we do need to know u are 'seriously' checking things however!...........

The checks worked, on the second flight yesterday I was doing the usualy bumpfishwt and found the cabin door was missing the top hatch to be secured..

Guest turnbase

Keep at it Red, sounds as if you're getting there. Making sure checks are actually done, while seems mundane are vital in certain situations as you could understand. Once everything gets a little more familiar you're confidence builds and the workload lessens. Don't forget everyone who has ever been flying an aircraft has thought the same thing, that's why we all understand your every comment. We've all been there or going there either way keep it up and you will get there.

I can empathise with your concerns, Redo; Being 1942mm tall I have been disappointed to find I don't fit in several trainers, but the Jabiru was my saviour.

I too have experienced circuit hell and also the old numb leg syndrome, which removed all feel and made controlling a taildragger a tad difficult.

Short term solution: Take along plenty of cushions and padding to achieve a comfortable sitting position. Result: you are relaxed and you can feel what your feet are doing. Trim up elevator and lighten your grip- let the aircraft fly itself, leaving you to concentrate on your approach. Long-term solution: mold a seat to your backside and you can sit there for hours without legs going to sleep.