Finally!

Guest Jake.f

Good stuff, isn't it :big_grin:

As we started to head back QantasLink flew about 1000' over our head which was interesting, also as we were flying back parallel to runway 21 to join left base for 28 the Virgin E190 began it's takeoff roll, which to watch from the air was nothing short of amazing...

I've only done it once, but flying the down wind leg while a large RPT is on its takeoff roll is a top sight. Pity you have to keep your eyes on where you're going... augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Great news Jake, remember its more about enjoying the learning journey. there is always more to know on every aspect of flying. I think thats why I find it so fascinating, the learning never stops. Yay

Phil

Guest davidh10

I bet you are chuffed, Jake. Good news.

You will probably find that the airsick feeling will diminish as you become accustomed to the aerial environment. I used to feel a bit that way when looking down to detect power lines where I was looking for a landing area, when practising engine failures, but after some more flights, it just stopped happening. Last time I felt airsick was after a few aeros in a Nanchang, but that is probably partly because I've only had one aerobatic ride, although the pilot told me that even he suffers if he is the check pilot and not actually flying the aeros.

One technique to alleviate a feeling of airsickness is to look at the horizon ahead for a few minutes.

All the best with your journey.

I've never really been bothered by airsickness, even during a Yak52 aerobatic flight (where I instructed the pilot to "go bananas"!). However, the other week, I'd just come back from a hour of my own local flight with extensive airwork when my instructor invited me to go with him straight away on his recency flight. It was the longest I'd been in a light aircraft at two hours - with lots of steep turns, stalls, circuits, etc - and started to feel a little queasy on the inbound run. :rolleyes:

I put it down to never going past the 1.3 hour mark before - plus, it wasn't two hours of straight and level! Haven't had a problem since, though. 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Congratulations, good to see a new pilot on the way. One thing I was a bit surprised at, was that your instructor decided to dispense with the pre-flight. I have always done a walk around before every flight. Fuel drains and oil level can be dispensed with if there have been prior flights but it is good practise as something may have happened on the previous flights unbeknown to the instructor. This happened to me on a training flight when the oil dipstck inspection cover flew open on climb out in a C152. The previous student had not closed it fully and we didn't check. No harm done but it just goes to show if you don't check you don't know.

Well done Jake. These are the best times in flying when you're learning and everything is new so make sure you enjoy it - that's an order :)

I too felt airsick on my first flight in an LSA in turbulence and haven't felt it since so you'll be right.

Good to hear Jake... I was struck with the ole airsickness, it gets better... It's mainly psychological I think... If you think about it too much it will happen. Well that's the way it is with me. If it's real bad try travelcalm natural pills... Mainly ginger, so no I'll side effects.

• Like 1

Good to hear Jake... I was struck with the ole airsickness, it gets better... It's mainly psychological I think... If you think about it too much it will happen. Well that's the way it is with me. If it's real bad try travelcalm natural pills... Mainly ginger, so no I'll side effects.

Hongie... I heard hanger talk that you are a legend in the airsick world... You are only 1 of 2 people that stopped talking... and fought back and won. lol

Congratulations Jake! Glad you enjoyed your first formal lesson, one of many enjoyable ones to come. Remember to stick by it no matter what, you're gonna hit bumps in training where you'll feel like you're going no where (like me and navs!) just keep going and you'll get there. The weather's bad when you want it to be good, but just be patient and it'll work out how you want it to!

-Andrew

Hongie... I heard hanger talk that you are a legend in the airsick world... You are only 1 of 2 people that stopped talking... and fought back and won. lol

haha it wasnt going to beat me don... waited 20 years to fly, not going to let a little queasyness stop me! who is the other person?

The name wasn't mentioned...

I think we are all susceptible to airsickness... But it seems to be something that you can train to overcome fairly easily.

Good luck with the lessons.

Had another lessons today in which we covered trimming, some basics of take-off and landing as well as climbing and such. The best part was I had no airsickness at all! Also, I flew 99% of the whole approach, and landed the aircraft too (albeit with some assistance) woo! All I did with the takeoff was keep the nose pointing straight with the rudder but I think maybe next lesson my instructor will let me take a more active role. It was another busy day with the aero club's Jabiru in the pattern and a few cherokees around for training, we were going to go to the area north but ended up going south where there was no traffic. Also, atc told us to make an early turn below 500' which I didn't think was legal...Also went over a full pre-flight, refuel and fuel drain.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! In regards to the 500ft turn, I take it this was turning onto final? I think the rule states that you must not turn final below 500ft unless instructed by ATC. Someone can probably clarify though.

Have fun with the rest of your training! :thumb_up:

-Andrew

I think the maintain runway heading until 500' rule applies to non-controlled situations. Is that right?

ATC can ask you to do things that you wouldn't normally do at a Class G aerodrome (within reason!).

Evan,

I think Jake's flying in controlled airspace under permit (which many locations now have). Since you're in the process of taking off you're permitted to fly below 500' to carry out a safe takeoff. The controller warned Jake of the collision risk and asked them to make a safe turn to get away from the Jab infront. Bindoon aerodrome has a 24/7 restricted area straight infront of runway 09, unless your aircraft can climb at around 1000fpm you will have to turn crosswind early (below 500AGL) to avoid the restricted area, this is allowed. Yes the 500' AGL rule applies to non-controlled aerodromes as well as controlled Class D.

Also, at a non-controlled aerodrome the closest form of ATC assistance you would have is MEL/BNE CTR or your local radar service (e.g Perth Radar) These controller units can't tell you what to do at an uncontrolled aerodrome. They can warn you of collision risks though.

-Andrew