Engine Importing from the US

Gribble

Hey all, now that ive got the rough idea of the price of a scratch build airframe together, the next big step is the engine.

Of course ive been through the new motor options, jab, cont, lyc, rotax, various auto conversions etc etc. Very expensive, but they are BRAND NEW so thats a given, if win lotto in the next 10 years then thats the most likely option ill go down.

There are plenty of 2nd hand Lyc's and Continentals for sale over in the states (mostly barnstormers.com) at what seems to be a reasonable price for what you can get. Some comparatively cheap Rotaxes (rotaxii?) there as well.

Has anyone here imported a motor from the States or similar? If so, who did you use to import the engine? Did anyone of repute inspect the engine before the deal was done? What else is there I should be looking for?

Please dont turn this into an this engine v that engine debate as I havent made my mind up yet what I will use. This is another option im considering to keep the price down a little bit.

Has anyone here imported a motor from the States or similar? If so, who did you use to import the engine? Did anyone of repute inspect the engine before the deal was done? What else is there I should be looking for?

There is a Viking engine imported from the US of A by (Bruce) Sloper. See thread: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/new-viking-engine.24056/

The 107hp engine here will probably be at least $21000 inc gst going on their retail price in Euro plus gst that doesn't account for freight. Think I will stick with the Rotax as that 107HP is at 3300 rpm max torque is at 2800 rpm they don't quote the HP at 2800 rpm

Mark

I am importing an O-320 plus prop , brand new. Cost with C & H Freight $1140 plus GST for the engine and prop. That is from Vans Aircraft via L.A. port , sea freight to Brisbane.

Maybe not the cheapest, but they seem reliable.

Noticed that UL Engines are now available in Australia through Aerosport Distributor too. These are impressive & have Jabiru mounts I seem to recall. What a clever idea:oh yeah:

I will admit they are certainly sexy in the looks and perfermance department, but ill wait a few years until people have racked up lots of time on them before I run one. I like guinea pigs, dont want to be one though.

I am importing an O-320 plus prop , brand new. Cost with C & H Freight $1140 plus GST for the engine and prop. That is from Vans Aircraft via L.A. port , sea freight to Brisbane.Maybe not the cheapest, but they seem reliable.

That seems good for an engine and prop. And i also need to balance that cheap v reliable ratio as well. :)

I was speaking to the owner of a Sportstar today. The engine is a couple of hundred hours off an overhaul and the owner was thinking of selling it and buying a brand new one. The engine to be sold would have a couple of hundred hours left, so would suit a private owner. The plane has been used for flight training, that's why the hours are up so quickly.

Old Man Emu

I have a trike wing on its way from USA. USD 1,300 for door to door sea freight.

Speaking of engines. The O-233 from Lycoming is 115hp with a 2,400hr TBO for USD 21k, or USD 23k with fuel injection. A bit heavier than a Rotax-914 but USD 10k cheaper and no coolant hoses to maintain as it's air cooled.