Light aircraft in water off Curl Curl

Guest ozzie

News report of a light aircraft calling mayday and ditching off Curl Curl Beach (Nth Sydney) at 10am this morning. Reported 2 POB, one being treated for spinal injuries. No mention of 2nd person. Police divers on aircraft now.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched live coverage of them getting a guy off the rocks and treating him for possible "spinal" injuries then loading him into the rescue heli going to the hospital so looks like at least 1 survivor anyway. Hope thats all that was on the aircraft

Watching on CH 7 atm, Victor 1?

Appears to be a low wing single, selfishly I hope it is a GA type otherwise the media will be all over the "ultralight, experimental" angle again.

edit: There seems to be a possibility of someone still in the wreckage - really hope not:crying:

Arrgh! :thumb_down:

Listening to ATC I did find it comforting how fast things were put to order and other aircraft changed their plans to help locate the aircraft.

I hope the survivor makes a full recovery. My sympathies to the pilots family also.

The aircraft looks quite intact which would appear to perhaps contradict the '45 degree angle impact with speed'. May not be relevant here but it is my belief that many light aircraft lack head protection for the occupants.

Don't know what to say, Poor buggars must have been under the pump, I could hear it i his voice he was thinking hard. I think I might devote my next flight to them and practice more PFL's after listening to that, God knows we all need it.

To the family from myself and my family our best wishes are with you.

I think the retrieval crews may have damaged it getting it out of the water. Earlier footage showed the aircraft substantially intact while submerged but all they dragged out was steel framework with the engine in it.

BTW, the engine looked like a Rotax 100 ULS (judging by the colour of the rocker covers)

Footage of the aircraft under water showed the fuselage bent behind the cockpit... looked like about 30degrees. Damage before they removed the airframe from the water looked fairly significant to me. Certainly enough damage to have rendered the occupants unable to get themselves out of the wreckage.

Off course it is hard to be certain of anything without being there.