New to Rec flying

Hi My name is Tim, I am just new to this flying stuff. I have always wanted to give it a go, and now I am. I have been flying a Tecnam and am really enjoying it have done about 15h with 4h solo. I found this site by just cruising about and thought I would join in Hope fully get some good tips and advice. Thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go 348 on the flying... you certainly seem to have taken to it like a duck to water judging by the solo hours.Welcome to the forums.

Still have a little trouble getting use to the turbulence when I am solo, but dont seem to worry when the instructor is sitting there ??

Guest davidh10

Welcome to the forums Tim. I haven't flown to Bendigo yet, but it isn't that far (2 hours by car). I'm pretty sure there's a couple of other forumites from Bendigo too.

:welcome:Welcome Tim, I am a lurker on this site and trained for my RA on a Tecnam. I found the biggest problem with the Tecnam was getting it out of the sky, it just loves to fly :big_grin:

Yep I have found the same they like to climb

Yes, Welcome Tim! We always like to hear about a new victim to our shared addiction. On a day like today when you'd really rather not be flying then you can always get a fix and learn some here.

sounds good it was a bit wild down here today for a bit.

Wait until it's hot! Like flying in a washing machine - but you'll get used to it.

I have had that told to me may times that the hot weather will the increase the turbulence but I am hoping to get more used to it before then.

Guest davidh10
Still have a little trouble getting use to the turbulence when I am solo, but dont seem to worry when the instructor is sitting there ??

With 4-stroke trikes, it is useful to ensure you have at least 40 litres in the tank if one up as the extra weight helps with turbulence. That is why is is worse when the instructor climbs out. You lose some of the inertia that is a feature of the increased mass.

With 2-stroke trikes, that have a smaller tank, people often take Jerry with them (a Jerry can filled with water strapped in the pax seat).

I'm not familiar with the characteristics of the Tecnam, but you may find a similar effect if you ensure the tanks are filled more for solo flights as we get to the warmer weather.

There's plenty of people who simply don't fly in Summer between about 11:00 and 16:00 to avoid the worst part of the turbulence. It can be quite uncomfortable and it depends on the individual as to whether they want to put up with it or not, and yes, it does take some acclimatisation.

With 4-stroke trikes, it is useful to ensure you have at least 40 litres in the tank if one up as the extra weight helps with turbulence. That is why is is worse when the instructor climbs out. You lose some of the inertia that is a feature of the increased mass.With 2-stroke trikes, that have a smaller tank, people often take Jerry with them (a Jerry can filled with water strapped in the pax seat).

I'm not familiar with the characteristics of the Tecnam, but you may find a similar effect if you ensure the tanks are filled more for solo flights as we get to the warmer weather.

There's plenty of people who simply don't fly in Summer between about 11:00 and 16:00 to avoid the worst part of the turbulence. It can be quite uncomfortable and it depends on the individual as to whether they want to put up with it or not, and yes, it does take some acclimatisation.

Thanks for the Tip I always notice the weight change when my instructor gets out and it does seem to make a big difference with the fuel full. I was out flying in the local training area solo and left with full tanks and was quite comfortable but after about a hour an on returning even the slight weight difference and the increased warmth of the afternoon I had noticed a difference. I hope to get more used to it soon but I imagine as you say it may take some acclimatisation. Thanks Tim