Airfield near Hoppers crossing?

motzartmerv

Hey guys. I am planning the trip down to Melbourne to Pick Soloman up to begin his training. Can one of you melbournites fill me in on airfields near Hoppers Crossing? Iva had a look on google earth but my connection aint the best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I believe that Werribee Airfield is closed - it was (is) within shouting distance of Hoppers Crossing. Bacchus Marsh would be good. So might Melton but I haven't been there for a while. Point Cook is close but my experience is that they are not co-operative - unless all you are doing is visiting the Museum. If you are relying on public transport on the ground I'd consider Moorabbin too.

Don't go to Avalon - check the fees.

Im thinking Baachus Marsh...

motzartmerv,

You would be correct there. Bacchus is the closest to Hoppers than anywhere else that's easiest to get into, about 2o minutes from Werribee.

If I can be of some help let me know, I live in the marsh.

-Linda

• Like 1

Hi Motz,

If you can't make Bacchus for some reason then Penfield (Sunbury) is where I fly from, it's about 40 minutes drive from where I live in Hoppers. Drop me a reply and I can fill you in and probably pick you up from there if you need.

Cheers

Neil

I haven't been in there yet but I have been told they don't like peeps just arriving ,,,,unless your going to have a look at their museum apparently,,which is worth the time I've been told!!

Point Cook is PPR unless you are a member of the flying club.

kaz

Point Cook is PPR unless you are a member of the flying club.kaz

Yes - I think Point Cook is 24hrs PPR as it is military. Penfield is also PPR for non-airfield residents.

And as a member of the Friends of RAAF Museum at Point Cook I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the museum :big_grin:

Cheers

Neil

Guest davidh10

Lethbridge is another, but Bacchus Marsh seems the closest to Hoppers Crossing. If you were going as far afield as Melton, then there's Penfield, just north of Sunbury, but not great for public transport, as you'd need a taxi from Sunbury to Penfield.

We went through all these when Chris came down from Bathurst, and while a lot of fields came up in discussion, just about all were knocked out on cost/availability of tranpost/people not being available/locked gates etc....which is where Bacchus came up the winner, with a very satisfactory report from Chris.