The Site's Future and Name

Admin

Guest davidh10

Just to take you all "out of the box" for a moment; Go for a meaningless brand name. then you won't have contention over shades of meaning, or keep needing to worry about whether the name fits the objectives. As examples of brand names that follow this theme:-

• "Cessna" (the association with aeroplanes is purely in everyone's mind. Actually it is the founder's surname).

• "Amazon" (why would you go there to look for books?)

• "Google" (nothing to do with search or indexing or a directory).

• "Fosters" (Does this really mean beer!)

• "Kelvinator" (no association with refrigeration)

• "Kindle" (you wouldn't associate this with books, but perhaps with lighting a fire!)

For that matter what is a "FaceBook" or a "Twitter". Of course most people here would know, even if they don't use them, but when you first heard the name, what did you think they were?

The things that define this site are its content and its frequent user community. As those things change, so will the site, regardless of what it is called.

I have to say that I don't come here to search for stuff. I go to Google for that, even if I end up finding the content here. The reasons for that is as much about the difference in capability of the search engines, as well as the breadth of content available.

First there was Recreationalflying.com, then along came Recreational Aviation.Aus. Are you wanting to break that 'implied' connection Ian?

Is there another word for 'Recreation'? According to my very old Roget's Thesaurus, the word recreation is a distant relative to 'Amusement' and from that there's a link to 'Sky-larking'. Hmmm, perhaps not the impression we really want is it! So, is there another way of describing what we all love to partake in?

Of coarse, we all enjoy different aspects of our joint hobby. For instance, us pseudo designers like to 'create' new machines, kit builders love to 'Re-create'... ............, blast it,......... there's that word again(almost). Is there really an alternative word that is all encompassing in the world of Aviation. I can't think of one.

So, lets get away from the Re-word altogether. How about:

Hair in the Air.net (Hair-net, got it?) 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

High on Air. net

Airborne Adventures.net

Airheads.net

Target Aloft.net

Arising Wings.net

........................................ over to others.

I don't know how much storage/band-width whatever you have but those damn spotters will take every inch of it if you let them in. Besides, they are photographers, not aviators. (feel better now I've got that of my chest)

Question, what is, or why the distinction with 'Enthusiasts' Isn't that we all are?

Could go on but my other half wants to go shopping. The things we do............

Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I have decided to stick with the current name for a while longer however the site is getting expanded within the recreational area with extra forums and segmented components.

I will revisit this again once the update has been going for a while and I can see what sort of way the site goes...thanks again

stop mucking around with the site or you will loose members we havent got time to keep learning how to use the site

The updated forums use the same software as we do now but will have many more features that you can choose to use or not use...you will be able to click a user and an instant chat window can open so you can have an instant 1 on 1 chat in a little popup window, all the help on how to use the site and its many features will be little videos to watch on how you can do something, you can browse YouTube "WITHIN" the site, you will have a better search function to find things that you are looking for much easier, you will have a much larger range of different aviation interests to choose from...etc etc etc, but then if you don't want to use these features, you just don't have to, you don't even have to learn how to use them...but there are many others who will want to use them so they are there for them to appreciate

• Like 1

I am guessing most of users mainly use the "New Posts" button... I am guessing this won't change and by the pictures may in fact be easier to find and use?

Exactly Winsor...if you are in the Recreational section and click New Posts only the new posts for Recreational will come up for you so you are not bothered by new posts in say the Enthusiasts section on Space Travel however if your interests are broad, you can always choose to just use the "All Forums" section and everything will come up...everyone has different needs and what the site is going to do is not only provide features not found on any other site but also give users a greater choice.

Incidentally, the new domain for the site has finally after many many years been decided...it is simply .com so it will be Recreational Flying .com

I have been trying to buy the .com domain for many many years but the owner would never sell it. Late last year I got a breakthrough and he decided to sell it to me at a huge price which I simply could not afford or warrant the expense. Last week we were able to come to an amicable arrangement and finally purchased the .com domain for $1,500 USD. So, we will be using .com, the one that I have always wanted to use, and all other domains will simply be tied into that and that is where it will always stay...simply .com

Down the track if we end up adding the last two areas of aviation in that of Commercial and ATC, it is possible that these areas would be accessed as Aircraft Pilots .com which would simply be an addon domain so it wouldn't matter if users went to Recreational Flying .com or Aircraft Pilots .com...the only thing that would be different would be the name in the header and the address in the address bar

• Like 1

Ah Ian, I've been racking my brains for a new name and just when I've got it, you do a 180 and stick with the current one. If I 'purchase' my latest my latest one, I wonder if I can get $1500 for it next week. The name............

AU.com.AU Aviators United, The site for air minded people.

Deskpilot...I had to end up deciding quickly when the opportunity arose so all done now...I bet you are going to like the new Aircraft Builders section in the new forums...I was thinking of you when I was creating them

Deskpilot...I had to end up deciding quickly when the opportunity arose so all done now...I bet you are going to like the new Aircraft Builders section in the new forums...I was thinking of you when I was creating them

That'll depend on whether they are builders, or kits assemblers. BIG,BIG difference.