Load 'er up

Spin

I reckon the topic of steep turns, stalls, spins and all variations in between has been beaten to death by the chattering classes - anyone want to begin the process of picking the fly droppings out of the pepper for these photos? Operator purposely de-identified to protect the not yet proven guilty:cheezy grin:.

444900760_206load3(3).jpg.4c38826e41fc80dfc21a66a10945e887.jpg

216828518_206load(1).jpg.d644d770289a88c7be1cf1057bf48ffe.jpg

1522419211_206load2(2).jpg.6f92226c3ae5094b20147668f8f86321.jpg

...errrr...........no.but it will probably fly....the tail hasnt decended to the earth....

The fabled 206 taildragger? Reminds me of the Caravan that pulled up on a dusty apron somewhere in darkest Africa, PT6 whining away at rather more than idle power, yoke pushed against the dash until the offsider had scrambled out and set up the tail stand. No photos unfortunately, cameras attract unwelcome attention in that part of the world.

Ouch! I can believe it, I spoke to the Caravan offsider above and he reckoned it was so finely balanced, that removing his weight from the RHS was enough to set it on its tail without the stand. And we wonder how some of these accidents happen......054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Haha, thats gold... Now lets wait for the explanations to appear. Ill start it " Its not overloaded, those boxes are all full of hydrogen filled balloons, the tail is low because they still havn't kicked the olio after turning it by hand. Im sure he didn't intentionally hit a roo with the horizontal stabe, so she's still airworthy."004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I'm not 100% sure but think the caravan tail prop is pretty common, not saying it's right but I have heard of it a few times, gotta love those cessnas,,,if you can shut the doors it'll fly,,,read a book on alaskan bush pilots,if the tail comes up it's all good,,, crazy!!!

All the 208B's I've had anything to do with had a tail stand, saves embarrassment when you're loading from the back, forward - not quite so good when you've stuffed it full of boxes and it still wants to fall onto the rear tiedown.

Incidently the damage was caused by a hyena having a little chew, a not uncommon problem where that 206 works.

just looking at the HS makes me wonder what condition the props in

May not be a problem. That nasty part of the tailplane is outside the prop arc, isn't it?... No no,,, hang on,,, I mean the REALLY nasty part.

That tail stabiliser is a bit rough, imagine the extra drag it is causing! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

She'll be right, Tomo. These blokes never leave home without a roll of "instant airframe". (been there, done that... Ask no questions, and you'll be told no lies, eh.)

• Like 1

We use a tail prop on the Caravan and Twin Otter jumpships. Nomads needed a wing prop. :)

That 207 dosen't look any lower in the tail than some Cherokee sixes i've seen taxing out.

David if you put 100mph tape on the stab fairing, how are the little birds going to get in and out?

Ozzie

Reminds me also ... never leave an aircraft with cattle in the same paddock. You would be amazed how much damage cows can do to paint work, apparently they like to lick the paintwork ... not to mention the damage to panels when they rub up against the aircraft.David

We had been jumping from a 182 all day. As it was taxing out i noticed that the right elevator just did not look right. Hopped out and found it bent up about 20/30 degrees from the outboard hinge point. I also found horse hair. It was also the last time that pilot flew for us.

ozzie

Speaking of duct tape.....

Best duct tape story to date

During a private "fly-in" fishing excursion in the Alaskan wilderness, the chartered pilot and fishermen left a cooler and bait in the plane. And a bear smelled it. This is what he did to the plane.

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.2&disp=emb&zw

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.3&disp=emb&zw

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.4&disp=emb&zw

The pilot used his radio and had another pilot bring him 2 new tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a supply of sheet plastic. He patched the plane together, and FLEW IT HOME !

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.5&disp=emb&zw

?ui=2&ik=fc3a28fd2e&view=att&th=132ae229745092f5&attid=0.6&disp=emb&zw

Duct Tape ? Never Leave Home Without It

Guest Howard Hughes

In about 1999 I saw an aircraft not dissimilar to the one in the OP at Lake Evella load up with 9 POB (3 in back row, 5 in middle row and 2 in front row). The pilot then filled the cargo pod with bags and boxes. Before flight he gently pushed the tailplane down and the aircraft returned softly on to the nose wheel. He then got in and took off!

Apparently this is de rigeur for 206 pilots...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I wonder if it says in the POH of the 206.That its OK to load her up anyway you like along as "It you push down on the Tail and she settles back on the nose wheel.Its OK to fly"Hmmm I dont think I could find that in there somehow.lol

not in the handbook but used as a measure of suitable loading by probably every C206 pilot in Oz. Provided the weights were right (not exceeding MTOW)..and u did the tail test..it would fly and not cause angst!

Sure CFI, if the nose wheel comes down.It is slightly or more nose heavy depending on how hard it comes back down.In this caseNot Tail heavy.It will fly along as the strip is long enough to "Get" to that flying speed.If its the done thing.Im cool with that.As long that Im not the young Pilot just out of School, who is s^%$T scared of losing his first job , because feels pressured to fly it.Im no Angel.You are right though in what you are saying.If the weights are correct.Its OK.but IMO its not the way to do it.