LSA

Yenn

SAAA are advising that they have just about talked CASA into a sort of LSA. If you have a PPL or higher licence they say you will soon be able to use a doctors certificate to say that you have the same medical abilities as you need for a drivers licence. You will be able to opt out of the normal medical requirements, but be able to fly day VFR, OCTA, up to 1500kg max weight and max 2 people. In other words the same as RAAus except for higher weight.

They anticipate it will be available in about 4 weeks. Don't hold your breath.

• Like 4

Yeah, heard the same thing at a talk by the Pres a few weeks ago - makes a lot of sense and would be great for me. I need more than 2 seats at the moment, but have no medical issues so that's ok for the moment. Later on once the youngster flys the coop I can go the alternate route but could keep a bigger aircraft - hmmm maybe that RV7 is a goer for later on after all!

Here's holding thumbs for a common sense decision.

Yeah Yenn, Me and Spin where at a airfield. A few weeks ago about 4 weeks ago.That was the word there.We (sorry Carl) have heard that , the CASA Sports pilot licence That has been on the books for 10 Years or more.Is finaly going too happen.Mr J MCormick(spelling)has been riding guys in CASA to make things happen.

EAA/AOPA in the US have just announced a similar initiative to petition the FAA to allow a pilot to fly on a driver's licence medical with certain restriction, so CASA may have beaten them to it, although we have yet to see it in print. The US announcment has created quite a bit of speculation on the VAF forum about the future relevance of the 600kg LSA category if it is approved, but it would obviously also be good news for those RV owners (and others) who would be prevented from flying their current aircraft if they were unable to renew their aviation medical.

rgmwa

Almost certainly will, but the numbers aren't likely to be that dramatic, most people who take advantage of it are likely to be older GA pilots who are facing medical difficulties and who would otherwise have to sell their sub 1500kg aircraft to get into an RA type. Someone starting from scratch, unless they really need the extra MAUW is more likely to stick with an LSA type, with the maintenance savings under RA and a less onerous training regime.

Of course if SAAA are able to get the maintenance requirements for homebuilts changed to allow non builders to work on their own aircraft, that could change the equation a bit for a few more people.

This is very good news - note it is limited to use of max two seats only (as in Pilot + up to one pax).

Re the FAA they are savage on medical issues. I bought an engine off a guy in CA who fainted one day and they subsequently found out he had a brain tumour, it was non life threatening and was removed. He is completely fine now but the FAA have banned him from flying and he has to sell up everything. When the FAA block you from flying you can't just jump across to LSA - it means you will NEVER fly again; no recourse, no appeal. There are many other similar stories where people are fit and have a drivers licence but are forever barred from flying in the land of the free.

That would work for me, I could still fly the Citabria with no medical, or build a strong 4 seat Hornet, register it VH Experimental and then when and if I lose my medical, take out the rear two seats, still be above 600kg and still be legal. The ultimate ... Yee Haa.David

I don't think you even have to take out the seats, as long as you only take one passenger.

rgmwa

interesting! so what sort of planes are under 1500kg, I assume the vans RV series? Does this mean basic aerobatics? What is OCTA? I assume its not the Oregon Cannabis Taxation Act

RV's, Cessnas etc are under 1500kg, and aerobatics are not prohibited as far as I know. OCTA is Class G airspace, but your definition also sounds very plausible. Maybe our legally qualified aviatrix can comment on that one :)

rgmwa

Do you know if there is a transition path for RAA pilots planned?

It's not something that came up in the discussions I heard, but I guess logically their "target market" initially is more GA than RA and really just involves a downgrade in the privileges they may exercise in return for the lowered medical requirement. I get the impression that this licence is viewed as complimentary rather than opposition to RA-Aus, which has to be seen as a success, given the relative numbers involved.

The last time I saw the plan there were two paths (as there is now to a GA licence). Regarding having unused seats installed ( not able to be used). I believe they have to be permanently removed. This applies to a two seater that cannot legally carry the passenger and the statutory fuel and be under the weight limit also. nev

We won't know the final wording until it happens, but from the info I got it would appear that it was a trust type of thing, but all hell would be let loose if you were caught infringing. It would suit me as I am building an RV4 and have not had a medical for quite a few years. I don't see any problem passing a medical, but it woul possibly cost a lot if the Dr insisted on electro cardiogram and whatever else they can dream up. Being over 75 I have to carry a Dr's OK whenever I am driving a car.

I get the impression that this licence is viewed as complimentary rather than opposition to RA-Aus, which has to be seen as a success, given the relative numbers involved.

At this stage it's not a licence, but simply a concession that would allow PPL holders to fly with all their current privileges, endorsements etc, but without a Class 2 medical, and subject to the weight, CTA, VFR and passenger restrictions noted previously. Pilots will need to obtain and carry a doctor's certificate confirming that they have passed a driver's medical, and renew it every two years. In time, I understand that these conditions would be incorporated into a Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL), which would be complementary to the PPL but with the restrictions noted. I don't think it should be viewed as opposition to RA-Aus, but rather as a way for GA pilots to continue to fly their current aircraft. Of course, until CASA makes an official announcement, none of this is confirmed.

rgmwa

• Like 1

It may COMPETE with the RAAus . It is a good thing and the aviation scene will be better for it. The Age demographic? for pilots in australia, is pretty old. If you go near a doctor or hospital for a check-up ,( And you should always if you think things MAY be wrong,) even if nothing is found, you will find you are in strife with avmed and it may take years to sort it out. This would cover those situations and be safety covered by the stricter conditions applying to privileges.. Trouble is all this has taken years and older pilots do not have years to waste. Aeroplanes deteriorate if they are not used as well and you can be up for heavy maintenance costs. If we removed the oldies from the scene there would be a lot less activity around aerodromes, and aviation is not going all that well is it?. Nev

• Like 3

This is very good news - note it is limited to use of max two seats only (as in Pilot + up to one pax).Re the FAA they are savage on medical issues. I bought an engine off a guy in CA who fainted one day and they subsequently found out he had a brain tumour, it was non life threatening and was removed. He is completely fine now but the FAA have banned him from flying and he has to sell up everything. When the FAA block you from flying you can't just jump across to LSA - it means you will NEVER fly again; no recourse, no appeal. There are many other similar stories where people are fit and have a drivers licence but are forever barred from flying in the land of the free.

They still have the FAR103 route.

Reading the points on the SAAA site.Which was a bit diffferent to what I was told talking to the SAAA President weeks ago.Which is understandable purely because nothing is set in concrete yet.If however if it is implemented as per the SAAA site.There going to be some problems.(As MM has mentioned). The point of" Aircraft 1500KG and below", is not specific enough. IMO

PS- The reason I say not specific enough is beacause as it stands a PPL still has to do a 5 hour conversion to a RAA pilot certificate.IMO purely because of the lighter weigh , less inertia, narrow flight envelope between stall speed , cruise speed and VNE etc.

It works the other way as well, I wouldnt expect a pilot going from a LSA type to a heavier 4 seater etc.

As I have mentioned above ATM- until I read it on paper, some of this may change.There was other items that where going to be on the table eg- Maintenance under experimental (VH) could be carried out by the owner even if he didnt build the aircraft along as they have done the M and P course. ATM I understand that it is only for guys and girls who have built the aircraft and have done the Maintenance and Procedures course.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the exact wording on the SAAA site, they are stating the outline of what is coming in the exemption and probably hadn't even considered our own exemption, which requires that a pilot of an RA reg aircraft shall be a member of RA etc, etc. This is why law can take so long to make it onto the books, it is supposed to have all the loopholes and anomolies thrashed out beforehand - supposed to at any rate. Whatever, I think it is a great development and look forward to its implementation.

• Like 1

Agreed, one of these fits the criteria!

Yes it does, the whole reason this has came out, is for People who are already in your example flying Bell 47.They can still fly it with the different medical requirements.Which is Fantastic But , what im trying to get at is the "1500Kg and below limit" at it stands, they way i read it. Means will not have to do a conversion to fly a realy light A/c.IE RAA type. People still have Rag and Tube aircraft on the VH register eg= Drifter or similar but they are very rare.The way it is ATM written if taken on face value - Means, the Ga to RAA conversion is a waste of time.Not needed. Which has been needed, because most accidents where by GA guys thinking that they could hop into a Thruster as a example and fly it.Some could and some ended up into a Ball. Im not taking sides it would be no different to a Thruster guy, as a example, hopping into a Archer and trying to fly it without training.

This is all speculation because 90 percent plus dont want go to Rag and tube types, they want to keep flying their existing aircraft.