Classifications

Hi, probably not the right area for it but is there any way we could index the incidents and accidents by aircraft type? Would just be interesting as I am looking at buying my first a/c and speaking to different people (pilots, L2's, lamey's) I get different responses but am hearing some peculiar things about specific aircraft, I'm looking to see if there are any trends or anything about specific types etc, anyway I realise this post is in the wrong location but just thought I'd bring it up, cheers!

Look for value for money for what YOU want.

You will get plenty of opioions here. It is like asking a car club re Holdens V Fords or any of the newer variants.

Accidents - wheter aircraft fault or pilot fault

Incidents - look at hours flown by different types etc

The bottom line is what YOU want for your particular type of flying

No guick fix all back to you

Frank M

Interesting idea to index aircraft types and their peculiarities

The human peculiarities of the pilots prbably can have a lot to do with it - how do we incorporate that it the index system !

On that subject - when you read the accident reports in the magazine its good to see pilot hours and weather conditions - I'd also like to see AGE (male or female does n't matter) - not that age has a direct bearing on an accidient ........................ but it does complete a picture

JM

It would also be good to know why the aircraft ran off the runway, turned over on its nose etc. Weather?, Inexperience?, poor training?, hadn't flown for a while?, aircraft characteristic?, airstrip not effectively signed?, incorrect assembly?, mechanical failure?, failure to follow procedure? etc.

They would be much more useful as a learning tool then.

..... I'd also like to see AGE (male or female does n't matter) - not that age has a direct bearing on an accidient ........................ but it does complete a pictureJM

I wouldn't discout gender just yet, especially with age. Most of us know what males in the 18-25 age bracket are like in a car or on a motorcycle, so to be fair, you have to examine gender differences before discounting them....

Most of us know what males in the 18-25 age bracket are like in a car or on a motorcycle

Temporary Australians? Oh wait... I'm in that bracket! big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif

Temporary Australians? Oh wait... I'm in that bracket! big_gun.gif.bf32cf238ff2a3722884beddb76a2705.gif

Not unless you're on two wheels, "flying along" at 160 km/h plus with an open face helmet ....or even no helmet at all, wearing a t-shirt, shorts and thongs.

There has always been a need for an evaluation of various aircrafts flying characteristics good and bad points etc. Accidents/ incidents are NOT likely to be a lot of help. How an aircraft is looked after and flown is well out of the hands of the manufacturer.

If you want the sort of answers you are looking for you have to really work at it. Most owners are not going to tell you their plane is a piece of junk. ( That would be admitting that they made a bad choice, and they might want to sell it to you one day).

The sort of plane that suits me will not suit everybody. Some are too dear/slow/cramped/fragile/ugly/boring/impersonal/common ( though that should be a recommendation) etc and some owners are very sensitive about any real or suggested faults with their favourite plane. Love IS blind)

Take as long as necessary to work out what type you want and then have it inspected by somebody very familiar with the type. The cheapest one around could end up being the dearest. Build quality and accident history and environment ( hangared and not operated near salt). and TTIS, are very important.

EAA used to have a yearbook with the details of all types listed. This won't give you all you want but is a start. Nev