Proud Aircraft Owner

sseeker

G'Day Everyone,

After many months of conversation with a member of Calingiri club I'm now the proud owner of a Pterodactyl Ascender, whose rego will be 10-0111. Richard (who now lives in NZ) used to own the Pterodactyl however he very kindly passed it onto me as it was being stored in WA. I now have the Pterodactyl for restoration. As far as I'm aware it will be the only registered and flying Pterodactyl in Australia??

"Papillion" Parked in my brothers back yard.

"Papillion" in flight.

I will post regular updates about my progress with her. You can also check out my blog for regular photos and updates (www.andrewbooth.id.au)

Thank you to Colin, Richard & Bob (Riley) for there support and assistance in the acquisition of Papillion.

-Andrew

• Like 1

Good stuff Andrew, looks like some fun!

What sort of motor has it got in it at the moment? I think Windsor has a mate overseas somewhere that has a flying one of these - Don?

Congratulations Andrew,

I'm impressed! It has more rigging, masts and sails than your average clipper ship, and now I understand where the term `control stick' came from. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Just make sure you check the seat straps before you take off. Love to see you fly into Jandakot. That would make the controllers sit up and take notice!

Cheers

rgmwa

Good stuff Andrew, looks like some fun!What sort of motor has it got in it at the moment? I think Windsor has a mate overseas somewhere that has a flying one of these - Don?

Hi Tomo,

It has a Cuyuna 430R, 45HP, 2 stroke with 2:1 belt reduction. There are loads of these flying overseas. You can buy them new as a kit for around $6500USD (engine included).

Congratulations Andrew,I'm impressed! It has more rigging, masts and sails than your average clipper ship, and now I understand where the term `control stick' came from. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Just make sure you check the seat straps before you take off. Love to see you fly into Jandakot. That would make the controllers sit up and take notice!

Cheers

rgmwa

Thanks rgm, she looks a bit different. But it's a real rag and tube! Was having a laugh with my brother about flying into Jandakot. Those in the traffic pattern would be pretty upset 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Geez. There wouldn't want to be too many bindiis in the grass when you're landing... see_no_evil.gif.405888ff9078f30e1e55f7c227388916.gifGood on you for having a shot at something a bit different.

Yeah the seat is pretty low. It's going to be replaced with a 'cross country' seat which is basically stronger, more comfortable and has side pockets.

Thanks mate

That's certainly striking. Do I assume correctly that it is not ground steerable? All wheels look to be fixed?

Yes that's correct, the training manual says you can steer on the ground using the tip rudders although I don't think this is safe. Steering with your feet during takeoff is a no go, taxiing is ok apparently.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Wow - that looks like fun!

Not only "Flying by the seat of your pants" but "Landing by the seat of your pants" by the looks of it! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif Would like to see some more video/pix when you are able.

Cheers

Neil

Good stuff Andrew, looks like some fun!What sort of motor has it got in it at the moment? I think Windsor has a mate overseas somewhere that has a flying one of these - Don?

Yes Andrew... I have a Facebook friend called Mark Zinkel. He acquired a Ptera in about the same condition looks like as yours with a Cyuna. He has been restoring it for the last couple of years... its taking him a while as he is just out of Highschool over there. He actually did his internship at the DFE Factory (they manufacture them) in the states... and did his first solo in a factory machine.

http://www.pflying.com/ <==== his blog

http://www.pterodactylhangar.com/

mark@pterodactylhang

ar.com

• Like 1

Hi Andrew, as you are probably aware by now, a number of these aircraft have been involved in fatal accidents over the years. I know of one fatality in NZ (in air break up) back in the early nineties. A summary of the report is on this link http://www.taic.org.nz/AviationReports/tabid/78/ctl/Detail/mid/482/InvNumber/1992-007/Page/23/Default.aspx

All the very best with getting your aircraft flying again and I look forward to reading your Blog along the way.

Cheers

Yes Andrew... I have a Facebook friend called Mark Zinkel. He acquired a Ptera in about the same condition looks like as yours with a Cyuna. He has been restoring it for the last couple of years... its taking him a while as he is just out of Highschool over there. He actually did his internship at the DFE Factory (they manufacture them) in the states... and did his first solo in a factory machine.http://www.pflying.com/ <==== his blog

http://www.pterodactylhangar.com/

mark@pterodactylhang

ar.com

Cheers Winsor, I've added you on facebook.

Hi Andrew, as you are probably aware by now, a number of these aircraft have been involved in fatal accidents over the years. I know of one fatality in NZ (in air break up) back in the early nineties. A summary of the report is on this link http://www.taic.org.nz/AviationReports/tabid/78/ctl/Detail/mid/482/InvNumber/1992-007/Page/23/Default.aspxAll the very best with getting your aircraft flying again and I look forward to reading your Blog along the way.

Cheers

Yes there were a few, mainly due to incorrect assembly and incorrectly maintaing their aircraft. Many improvements have been made to the aircraft over the years. I've been in touch with DFE Ultralights and they've suggested a few ways I can improve the Pterodactyl. Hoping to do some disassembly either this weekend or the next weekend.

-Andrew