Low Fuel Precautionary Landing near Mount Isa

Guest cficare

back to topic briefly...

give the pilot a banana.

didn't run out of fuel...

assessed a decent landing spot..

put it down...refueled and continued journey...

It doesn't get better than that.

The comments from the RAA hierarchy (to the press) need to be examined in a little more detail

Must say this forum has demonstrated a far superior level of discussion than over on the stuttering dried fruit location . Theirs degenerated into a slagging of Jabby engines - wild thread drift - and not locked by the mods either. What were they thinking?

Yes, he did make some basic fuel errors - but it was offset by way of his timely precautionary landing. All credit due here. Reckon RAA need some media and press coaching....never say more than you need to.

happy days,

• Like 3

Must say this forum has demonstrated a far superior level of discussion than over on the stuttering dried fruit location . Theirs degenerated into a slagging of Jabby engines - wild thread drift - and not locked by the mods either. What were they thinking?Yes, he did make some basic fuel errors - but it was offset by way of his timely precautionary landing. All credit due here. Reckon RAA need some media and press coaching....never say more than you need to.

happy days,

Wise words Pots . Your closing statement is a guideline we should all practice explicitly in this sort of situation. cheers Riley

Yes, he did make some basic fuel errors - but it was offset by way of his timely precautionary landing. All credit due here. Reckon RAA need some media and press coaching....never say more than you need to.

That was the situation up until the mid 1980's prior to the public liability era. These days it works against you and gives the impression you aren't practising duty of care.

In this case the clear indication is that RAA IS so if there is a future case, this and many other statements can be used to support a culture of duty of care.

It's the reverse of what it used to be.

• Like 1

That was the situation up until the mid 1980's... ...It's the reverse of what it used to be.

In so, so many ways... Could you imagine a CEO getting a bonus in the 80's for closing down her factory, putting 1800 people out of work, and having her underpants made overseas?

• Like 1

Ditto from me, Riley.

And to turbo, When you get a call from a Journalist there's no time to come up with a word perfect teflon comment, well yes, its two words "no comment" .

Maybe a good time for RAA org to remind members correct reporting procedures[pronto]. No comment to any one other than irrelvent people and let them do thier jobs.

A lot of good men and women have worked hard for the privelages we have today, so every time i hear of person/s doing something not to our laws, correct procedure,common sense etc i feel we are letting them down. $%it happens and we all have made bad decesions, dont let the hole get deeper.

• Like 1

And to turbo, When you get a call from a Journalist there's no time to come up with a word perfect teflon comment, well yes, its two words "no comment" .

"No comment" works against you these days, creating an impression there's something to hide; that's the opposite to what a person or group which has been exercising duty of care will say. What the RAA guys said was fine.

• Like 2

Yet another Argument for at least a mechancial flow meter.. (40-100grams for a electronic).

I wonder where he was when he became aware of the fuel situation and His Bingo point from the last fuel stop. Long way between drinks (and Oil) out there.

Photo0051.jpg.747ae972d5ece157c7c57fc231078c41.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll ask the pilot concerned for more info when I next see him.

Just a comment on the print media; the last time I spoke to a journo he presented me with his version of events, I corrected his extensive misunderstandings and he proceeded to publish his own version but attributed it all to me. 077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

Not an unusual occurrence.

Just 'cos we've read it, doesn't mean he's said it.

• 3 weeks later...

Caught up with the pilot on the weekend.

He had planned correctly, including reserves.

Winds developed to significantly greater than forecast but by the time the problem became apparent he was short on alternates.

He had already given his 10 mile call and was probably 4 minutes from landing when the engine began to surge.

It ran long enough to allow him to position for a landing on the best available landing site, which was thankfully clear of cars and trucks at the time.

• Like 1

Being manufactured in the EU, that is most likely a requirement Yenn.

This fuel management thing is not so easy to get control over. You can use time and calculated fuel flow but there are a few variables can come into that which may become more significant on longer trips.

Fuel gauges on aircraft ( nearly all of them) are NOT reliable.

When you are nearly empty you have to know exactly what you have left. We all know that you have to carry reserves etc but those reserves may be required. (That is why you carry them), to cover weather issues and other possibilities. ( Aircraft disabled/ crashed on runway).

You also have to know that you can get all the fuel out of the tanks that you think you should, Useable fuel is what counts. Sideslipping with low fuel may not work. Once you run out your landing is harder to manage and it is going to happen SOON.

So, I reckon the collector tank with about 40 minutes fuel is a good idea, preferably gravity fed. Fuel that requires a pump is not guaranteed either, because even if the pump works, a pinhole which lets air in the fuel line will stop it "lifting" the fuel. Nev

• Like 1