New P&M Trike

It would have to have a 912 or something like it given the weight, wouldn't it? The first time I went up in a trike I felt it was flying just like a bird, like a Drifter, the wind in your face, out in the open...one of the great appeals of a trike. I wonder how the trike guys feel about this with it being semi enclosed...I like it though

Guest davidh10

Interesting. Looks like a cross between a gyro and a trike. We will have to stop these types from consorting with one another augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Looks like the engine is mounted higher, making the thrust line closer to the wing. That would reduce the extent of power / pitch coupling of the pod. On the other hand, there's a lot more side profile area of the pod to catch wind gusts, and as trike fliers know, it is gusts hitting the pod that causes it to wave around under the wing. It is nice that there's no front pole in the middle of your vision, but it has been replaced with two opaque side pillars. All the covering over the engine area makes doing thorough dailies more difficult and probably less thorough. The rear suspension looks more fragile than Airborne's trailing link with gas struts.

I have no idea how you would demount the wing, or even lower it for tie down in windy conditions on the ground. If you are unable to do that easily, without dismantling the aircraft, I can't see it being popular with anyone wanting to travel away from the home aerodrome. If you can't lower the wing, the centre of gravity is very high and it makes the trike very susceptible to roll-over. In addition, the wing will catch more wind the higher off the ground it is tethered. With the Airborne trikes, even though you have to remove the tall windscreen, it takes less than three minutes to get the control bar down onto the ground to tie it down with a low wind profile.

On balance, it looks nice, but does not attract me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Without it it could be a case of "Freeze a jolly good fella" in northern europe, in winter. Seriously I am not fussed with it either. Covered in motorbikes don't cut it for the same reason. (winds affect them too much). Nev