HI!

Flygirltam

Hi TamYou are very welcome here. We are all sorts with all sorts of flying backgrounds and it's a nice place to be with lots of good info swapping and a bit of hangar talk as well.

I see you have done a bit in the Grob as well as the Decathlon. Any thoughts on the relative features of each? DJP contributes to the discussions on aeros as do a number of others so we look forward to hearing about your prowess.

My Auster isn't really built for aerobatics but it does keep you honest as every landing is a bit of a challenge (at least it is for me). It has an O-320 Lycoming (160hp) and gets along at 100 kn TAS. It glides better than the Decathlon and doesn't want to set down on a hot day even though the barn doors are open. Max demonstrated xw is 9 kn. My longest trip so far was a 3500 mini-odyssey arounf the Centre 2 years ago.

Hope you and some of the other ladies who have made you welcome will tell us more about what they are doing. And look out for Thomo... he just changed his avatar!!! giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gifgiggle.gif.ad1278a6733e2c87a6f26c6d477d449a.gif

kaz

Hi Kaz,

Friends of mine own an Auster and I have been lucky enough to fly it a couple of times.... What a beautiful airplane it is too! I flew it over Goolwa while taking pictures of the whales and their babies. Never landed one, as I didnt have my tail wheel endorsement at that time. I havent flown the aerobatic rated Grob, they are a pretty cool thing to fly, I dont mind the low wing, eveything is placed well in the cockpit, easy to reach. think I had about 25- 30 hours on them from memory, can be a bit bouncy on the rwy when its hot weather. (probably just my landing technique!)

I rate the Grob for fun factor as a 106_score_009.gif.17e848c1c38015657a6bc3c8116ef6cb.gif ha! ha!

The grob is a good basic trainer, the G-115A - One 85kW (115hp) Lycoming O235H2C flat four piston engine driving a two blade fixed pitch or you can option a constant speed prop.

The G-115D - One 135kW (180hp) Lycoming fuel injected AEIO360 driving a two blade constant speed prop. The D model is often used for basic aerobatics I believe it is rated +6G to -3G Maximum Xwind on the Grob is 12kt from memory.

The Super Decath is alot more fun- because you get to go upside down!! It has a Lycoming 180hp AEIO-360 engine standard Constant Speed and is rated at +6G, -5g's Max demonstrated Xwind is 17kt. The most I have landed in was about 13kt in the decath

Loads of fun & a tail wheel to boot!107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

• Like 1

I have added a specific Chat Room for the AWPA that you can use...just select it from the available rooms in the Aircraft Pilots Chat Room...let me know if there is anything else this site can do to help the AWPA

• Like 1

You have impressed me and I am a little jealous of what you have achieved and are planning to achieve. and being what appears to be a healthy, energtic young female. You are an asset to aviation, promoting an airshow, showing ladies that with ambition they can take to the skies as you can easily show that it is all achieveable. Good on you ! I hope your airshow is a major success and hope you get to organise a few more. I take my hat off to all ladies that fly and have met a few around and they have all been real special characters, don't wander off to a girls only chat because I like what you have to say, and tell me more of your adventures.

Now do you fly RAA aircraft ? and why if not.

I fly GA and RAA , I didn't think I was an aerobatic fan as I have done spins, rolls and other manuovers with an instructor for a few hours and found myself feeling far from excited but in control, this was back 10 years and the urge to throw a plane around comes to me at times, did you enjoy aerobatics totally from the start or have you acquired the taste ?

• Like 1

Hi there Camel

Thank you for all your kind words. Its hard not to be enthusiastic when you love something so much as I do with aviation, I drive most people up the wall! LOL

I dont fly RAA aircraft, havent had the opportunity to do so yet, but its on my list of things to achieve in my aviation endeavors. I have always loved aerobatics from the back seat, so I figured it was time to put my skills to the test and give it a go. I really had no idea what I was in for, or how I would feel, but I just simply love it. My last lesson my poor instructor wasnt feeling so well after the slow rolls, spins, loops and barrel rolls so we had to head back to the airfield, but i just could have stayed out there for hours! I find it so challenging and a great way to improve my flying skills. I am not afraid of unusual attitudes that is for sure!

Thanks again for your lovely comments. I too hope that I get to organise the next airshow in 2 years time. All the hard work has been done now. I certainly intend to have a couple of beers after the show finishes on the sunday night! 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 3

We dont need a separate forum just for girls, but it does make it more fun to stir you blokes up!

Wow Tam... 10 posts and 10 likes..... Are you paying Studentbiggles to boost your brownie points? LOL

Feel free to stir us blokes up, happy to be stirred...but expect the same back!!

Have fun. Matt

• Like 2

... a place for us to announce .... applications for scholarships ...

just in time for young ladies to work on their applications for the RAAF Formation or Aerobatic Endorsement Scholarship. Probably too late to apply for the Vicki Cruse Scholarship this year.
  • Like 2

just in time for young ladies to work on their applications for the RAAF Formation or Aerobatic Endorsement Scholarship. Probably too late to apply for the Vicki Cruse Scholarship this year.

Young!!??? What? No antiques allowed?

kaz

• Like 2

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, have been recommended to visit from Student Biggles ;)looking forward to chatting with you all about aviation!

A belated welcome to you Flygirltam! 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif I trust you'll enjoy this forum for many years.

He's right, I've stood next to both of them and Matt was definatly smaller, if fact I was going to whisper in his ear he could be my "mini me" but that would have been creepy,,,whispering in another guy's ear really, what was I thinking!!!oh yeah Welcome Tam and good luck with the airshow,,,

I had my photo taken with Matt at Redbull in WA last time, I think even I was taller than him!!! LOL 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

• Like 1

Guest davidh10
I had my photo taken with Matt at Redbull in WA last time, I think even I was taller than him!!! LOL 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

It's probably all those hi-G turns that has reduced his stature 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Welcome Tam.

Matty picked up his MXS from Perth on wednesday/and or thursday, its been sitting there for a little while. Flew it home to maitland in about 8 hours.Quick flying time I reckon.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif .Try that in a normal run of the mill single piston engine aircraft.

• Like 1

....... Jim Wickham is bringing his awesome Yak9 ...:)

Jim had his Yak52 at the Plane Crazy sausage sizzle yesterday and said he was looking forward to your show.

Young!!??? What? No antiques allowed?

Antiques can do better aerobatics but this scholarship seeks youngsters - you could always lie about your age on the application form.
  • Like 1

Jim had his Yak52 at the Plane Crazy sausage sizzle yesterday and said he was looking forward to your show.I think both Jim & Jenny are excited to attend, I cant wait to have them here. I love that Yak9! The Yak52 is a pretty awesome airplane too, have been up a few times in my mates at YPPF. Hoping to get a rating on it when I get some more hours logged in my aero rating. drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif