Student pilot logbook

Hi All

First post in quite a while. In fact I haven't flown since March last year for one reason or another.

I'd achieved GFPT and was looking forward to going on to PPL but got bogged down in study for the theory exam, bad weather and, on a more postive note, an extended overseas trip.

Anyway I've passed the theory exam and I'm ready to launch back into it. I'll be moving from the flying school I've been at since ab-initio to a more reasonably priced school in the country.

Now to my question: Is my logbook, which my current flying school insists remain with them at all times, mine to collect and take home, or must it be kept by the school? In which case I assume it would be transferred along with all my training notes to the new school.

Interested to hear from other student pilots.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Had a similar problem many years ago, the log book is yours, if you did not pay for it first up then you owe them the cost of the book, maybe that is why it was kept.

You need to go there and check the log book is up to date before asking for it, if it is not get them to correct that while you are there(and pay for the book-blonde wig time). If the school will not give you the book, send them a letter requesting it within 14 days and tell them you will pick it up. If after the 14 days you do not have your book write to your local CASA office, put your blonde wig on and ask them what you should do to get your logbook back. I think your logbook will as by magic appear at your place, I know mine did.

Bob.

• Like 1

Further to icebob's post. I am quite sure that the flying school would not have deferred payment for the logbook. It must remain with them while you are training there. As icebob stated, make sure it is up to date (you should be writing the flights in yourself anyway so it will be up to date in that respect) but the flying school must certify that times are correct on a monthly basis - since you haven't flown for a long while there is no reason for it not to be up to date as of when you last flew. Some flying schools archive books and records for students who haven't flown in ages but, apart from allowing for that, you are quite entitled to simply walk up, state your intentions and walk away with your logbook.

The CFI of your new school must write a letter seeking your training records from them and your old flying school must provide them. If you don't feel like tackling them personally then ask your new CFI to include the request to send the logbook at the same time.

• Like 1

It is yours mate, as the other guys have mentioned.Along as you have paid for it or supplied it in the first place I would go and get the book . Maybe they have been keeping students books in case they lose them or more to the point, hold it over students so they come back to their school.

I had the same waaayyy back in the early 90's.... Flying school had to keep the log book while you were in the student phase... As soon as you were no longer a student, it was yours to administer...

I thought it was a CASA thing they were complying with..

Mind you, when I went to Adelaide and Wagga (RAAF), I advised them and they let me take my logbook for my flight training in those locations.. So I see no issues for you seeing how we have advanced with time..083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

Thanks All.

I don't think the school will try to hold onto the log book, I guess I was more asking now that I am no longer with the school can I take it home or does it have to stay with the school and get transferred along with my training records when I sign up elsewhere.

Edit: And now I see the response by av8vfr probably answers my question.

Get physical possesion of the book! I had the same problem, and when I got a month notice to move far away I didn't have time to go get the book, and ended up losing my first logbook. The first 3 years of my flying history are now just a memory, and I regret that. The school cleared the book out, you can't assume they actually archive anything.

I went down to the school this morning and picked up my log book no problem. I just told them I was moving to another school and that was that.

It's quite a large school and flying club and I didn't know the instructor I spoke to. He didn't ask why I was moving, just checked that my hours were certified and handed me the book.

• Like 2

I went down to the school this morning and picked up my log book no problem. I just told them I was moving to another school and that was that.It's quite a large school and flying club and I didn't know the instructor I spoke to. He didn't ask why I was moving, just checked that my hours were certified and handed me the book.

That is Jolly, Jolly good Walter.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Interesting story. Seems there was no issue, which was good.

My experience was that the flying school I attended provided the log book as part of training and did not make any extra charge for it. As I paid for 10 hours up-front (my choice to get a discount), I was given the log book to take home on day one. I brought it with me for each lesson and filled it in during the lesson debrief. It is a nice properly book-bound hard cover ASA logbook with an ASA Master Logbook Case, to hold it and other items. I keep my aircraft log books and maintenance sheets in it as well.

However for people who only pay by the hour, they don't get their book straight away. Presumably, they get their log book after they demonstrate that they are going to stick with the training for a few hours.

{There would be a percentage of students who only ever have one or two lessons and then drop out. If the school is giving the log book free of cost, then it is only fair that the student has several lessons for the school to write off their cost against.}

The CFI, however signed the page to certify the entries up to and including first solo, and thereafter just entries for tests, aircraft ratings and endorsements.

Log book is YOURS. Some schools insist on keeping it, some from past experience of students forgetting to bring it, but some to stop the student going elsewhere. It is very difficult to replace your log book if you are a student as you need it to prove your hours and status at the next school or you have to go through much of it again. It is an important personal document that can be requested by CASA, and you must produce it. CASA have a brief article on Pilot Log Books here:- http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90100

The legislation that covers Pilot Log Books is in the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 - here:- http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011C00378/Download

Choose Vol 2 and look for 5.51 (about page 43) and keep reading. They don't actually say who owns the log book, but it is obvious from the language about you personally keeping it up to date and you being required to show it to CASA that it does not belong to a School. The cost of a log book is generally less than $10 and for the school to say it belongs to them because you haven't paid for it is a bit weak.

Thankfully this all ended happily this time.

Sue

• Like 1