Interesting story

With a mixture of photos, film and computer reconstruction, this interesting story will stir you.http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/morrow.html

[url=http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/morrow.html][/url]Wow! They were so young and so brave.... all of them... the Yanks and the Japanese pilots alike. No wonder the B17 was called a Flying Fortress to have survived that punishment. The Zero was fast, nimble and well-armed, but of very light construction and with little or no armour to protect pilot or vitals.

I always feel troubled when I think too much about these things. I was born during the War and my Dad and other relations served in the conflict, including in NG. The early years after the War saw us as pretty xenophobic about the people of the Axis nations, especially Japan. The Biggles books I collect are full of what are now very racist statements (really, no-one was intellectually or morally the equal of an Englishmen according to WE Johns).

Now I have a very gorgeous Japanese daughter-in-law and an even more gorgeous half-Japanese grandson. Until recently, my son and his family lived and worked in Tokyo and he is fluent in Japanese. They are now happily in Singapore where many of the locals along with Australian servicemen and women were treated horribly by the Japanese occupiers.

Now I reflect on many things: the stupidity of war; the willingness of older politicians everywhere to lead their countries into it; the willingness of the young citizens of those countries to be sacrificed in the name of pursuing it; and extraordinary complexity of humankind that can show such aggression and compassion in the course of it.

kaz

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I think the general mind set of people , changes years after conflict. It would be hard to hate people from Germany or Japan as a example in this day and age, purely because most people from those countries from that time and who where involved in the fighting are dead now.

Out of the (at least) 40 assasination attempts on hitler from as early as the mid 1930's. It is ashame that one of them wasnt successful.It would have changed the course of history.