Sierra 100 completed

Guest davehw

Great looking aircraft Dave, the canopy is a winner and looks sleeker. Cheers, see you at Temora, Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Glad you like it Maj, hope to see you at Temora for a close up inspection and chat about homebuilt aircraft in general, cheers, Dave.

I'm still in tune....did you fly it yesterday Dave.????????????????100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gifAlan.

No Alan, we did the Raa pre-flight final inspection yesterday, and will post in the paperwork tomorrow. When the rego card etc is returned, will start flight testing solo for 25 hours. Plan on making Temora at Easter all going well.

cheers, Dave.

Thanks for the update Dave, I will not be going to Natfly however my Son-in-law Kevin will be going with my son Martin after a few days up in Taree having some of Gary's latest mods done to the Sierra. I understand that Gary will be using our aircraft for demonstrations.

Alan.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davehw
Hi Davehw, have you managed to get in the air yet or are you too busy fitting floats with your weather down there.? 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifAlan.

Hello Alan, yes aircraft does fly, we have been operating today out of Bendigo. cheers, Dave.

Hello Alan, yes aircraft does fly, we have been operating today out of Bendigo. cheers, Dave.

YIPEE !!!

Now come on Dave, this requires at least a 2,000 word essay on how it flew with an accompanying one hour video, no immediate hurry have your dinner first i'll stay up until midnight.

EXCITED ALAN.100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif 093_celebrate.gif.b819cda4acf84f8ea794b849a8b7287c.gif

• Like 2

well done dave

craig and i have just ordered our sierra and hope to have in our w/shop in 5 to 6 weeks we are presently building a mezzanine to do the build we have a full workshop with guillotine ,press brake ,and all equip to build ,we hope ours turns out as neat as yours maybe see you next year at Natfly

safe flying

cheers gareth

• 2 weeks later...
YIPEE !!!Now come on Dave, this requires at least a 2,000 word essay on how it flew with an accompanying one hour video, no immediate hurry have your dinner first i'll stay up until midnight.

EXCITED ALAN.100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif 093_celebrate.gif.b819cda4acf84f8ea794b849a8b7287c.gif

Hi Dave, I've now been up and awake since midnight on 13th. March.......ANY UPDATES YET???

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, as I will be at Natfly I look forward to seeing your aircraft.

Hopefully testing is all complete and you are there. I will be departing Bendigo as a guest of Will Q. who has kindly organized a seat for me to Natfly.

Bernie

Guest davehw
Hi Dave,Have you done all your testing and will you be flying it to Natfly?

Alan.

Hi Alan, yes testing complete and flying to Temora tomorrow. (Thursday) Might see you there. cheers, Dave.

Guest davehw

G'day all, arrived back at Bendigo on Sunday, after a great Easter fly to Temora with this modified Sierra 100.

The fly there was direct, and was 2.0 hours of slow cruise using exactly 30 liters fuel in nil winds. (beautiful)

Caught up with a lot of flying friends, old and new, and was surprised the numbers were way down on previous 2 years at Temora.

Could be something to do with Casa ramp checks on arrival, such as I received. No problems with my aircraft, but would scare visitors away with prior knowledge. This was supposed to be a 95.10 welcome invitation in 2012. Where were they?

Return trip on Sunday morning was via Tumut airfield. We met new flying friends and fellow builders over plenty of coffee, and headed on to Yarrawonga.

There we caught up with Peter & Anne Mclean, resident welcome open hangar friends, and other return flyers including Alan Barton with the Zodiac display aircraft x2. From there it was direct back to Bendigo. Will be doing some minor fine tuning to this aircraft, including a new Bolly 2 blade ground adjust prop ordered at Temora.

cheers for now, Dave.

Guest davehw
Your fuel consumption is impressive Dave. What engine do you have, and what speed did you cruise on to get 15lt/hr?Jeff

Hi Jeff, Jabiru 3300, slow cruise at 100 knots, 2500 rpm, nil wind conditions. At Temora refuel with tanker, fuel tank took 30.5 litres to fill again.

cheers Dave.

Hi Dave. We're installing the same engine, so this useful to know. I guessed you cruised at around 100kts, and was wondering if your revs were near the range were the engine starts to run a bit warm, but at 2500 you were above that.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Dave. We're installing the same engine, so this useful to know. I guessed you cruised at around 100kts, and was wondering if your revs were near the range were the engine starts to run a bit warm, but at 2500 you were above that.Cheers

Jeff

Jabiru 3300 runs cooler in Morgan Sierra however they do like to run at 2850 - 2900 revs minimum. Saving on fuel is a good idea but could prove more costly with engine repairs.

Alan.

Jabiru 3300 runs cooler in Morgan Sierra however they do like to run at 2850 - 2900 revs minimum. Saving on fuel is a good idea but could prove more costly with engine repairs.Alan.

Fuel is one of the cheapest costs of aircraft ownership. Fuel consumption seems to be around 21 lt/hr at 2850-2900 rpm, airspeed is another 20-30 knots getting you there quicker so the additional cost is not that great when you include these factors. If you follow Jabirus advice on cruise RPM and are monitoring all 6 CHTs & EGTs you will be rewarded with a happier engine and greater TBO.