B - Brisbane

AF - Archerfield

YSBK - Bankstown

Y - Australia

S - Sydney

BK - Bankstown.

Hope that makes sence.

Frank

In many regions apparently the second letter of the code often indicates a country within a region, but in Australia's case the second letter indicated the FIR...Bris, Melb, Syd and Perth at the time. But at some stage they must have stopped doing that. So near me Albury is YMAY (Melb), but down the river we have Corowa-YCOR and Yarrawonga-YYWG. Wagga is YSWG (Sydney) but nearby Temora is YTEM.

• 5 years later...

I know this is a VERY old thread, but I was looking at some photos which stated the ICAO code for the airport at which they were taken. I (almost) always include the ICAO code in the filename of my photos, but there were some in this collection which I did not recognise. It took quite some searching for them, because some of the sites I was sure would have then returned a No Result.

Based on the requirements of a web database I uploaded to, the filename format was: Tail No; Type; Location; Date Taken. eg 25-0238 Thruster TST YMAV 20170305 (date in YYYYMMDD format).

One database that has most of them is ourairports.com which is great, but you have to search one at a time, and that requires a lot of clicking.

Making a rod for my own back, I have started to build an Excel spreadsheet, starting with airports within my area, and including at this stage the name, state and ICAO code. I will fill this in progressively, possibly adding IATA code as well. Airports will be listed alphabetically, but later may be sorted by ICAO code, so you can quickly locate the code and identify the airport. Sorry guys, I live in Melbourne, so that's where I am starting. I spend a fair bit of time on the PC at my local Men's Shed doing nothing productive, so this will give me a project. Here is a small sample of what I have done so far. Looking at the map of airstrips in the resources section of this website, I will have my work cut out for me, so it won't be finished next month, next year... What do you think?

477897780_airportcodes.JPG.a3a8c235f93d24cd4566ab65cb6bbcb8.JPG

There is already a list on an Excel spreadsheet with 13267 entries, but it covers the whole world, and many airports are missing from the list. I thought airport-data.com, to which I contribute would have had them, but although 20+ photos are added to their gallery daily, and airframe corrections are done regularly, airport details have not been updated since 2011 and a long list of updates are waiting to be processed. Apparently only one person can do that, and he has not been heard of since 2012. A moderator is looking into it.

If you want an international listing of airports and codes and coordinates, etc, Google one of the Flightsim NavData packages. You can grab them as a TXT file, and their have all the navaids, airports, etc, with country, Lat/Long, magnetic variation etc etc.

Thanks KRviator. I've looked at quite a few (doubtless haven't located them all), but many have some of the smaller airfields missing, some even more common airfields like Tooradin and Lethbridge Airpark. One did not even have Caloundra. The most complete databases I have found so far are world-airport-codes.com (see below) and OurAirports.com, but these are page per airport, with maps, runways, etc. None of the one page lists I have come across have had all the airports I was looking for.

880663540_worldairportcodes.JPG.5c02cf243ea2a94df8d99267ddd93cf0.JPG

This site allows you to search a dozen airfields before requesting you to register (free) to continue. T&C's are pretty non-restrictive, just protecting them from malicious or inappropriate use (eg linking to offensive sites, offensive language, etc). It even has Alfred Hospital Helipad and Yarra Bank Heliport.

Many sites have IATA codes only, not ICAO codes, and some are sorted in code order without a search or sort function, so finding, say, Milawa Winery (YILA) could take all day.

If it is Australian ones you want, check out Sect 17 & Sect 20 of the ASA Designated Airspace Handbook.

Every cert/reg airport in Aust, and every ALA as listed in the ERSA. And Sect 21 has the Aids too. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V and off you go! :-)

And the OzRwys Airfields listing is very comprehensive these days; heaps of new ALAs and farm strips etc. added.

I wonder if there's an easy way to print it out.

What I've sometimes done when I've known the ICAO airport code (mentioned here, for example) but not the full place name - nor the location - is to enter a quick flight plan from somewhere to there. Voila!

The other way - direct to Dr. Google - seems less satisfying.