The first step of a long (low and slow) journey

Well, my Pietenpol Air Camper project has finally commenced!

my capstrip and glue arrived from the states. Capstrip bending jig has been made and two pieces of cap strip were soaked and bent last night. Came out of the jig nicely and are a good match to the curve of the top cap strip on the rib template.

Did a test glue on a couple of offcuts and set to cure on the plastic I am going to cover the rib template in. When dry this morning the test piece separated off the plastic nicely, so I'll staple the plastic down tomorrow and start mounting the guide blocks so I am ready for the weekend.

Only annoyance so far is the supplier of 1.5mm marine ply I had found in sydney does a turn around and states that although his website states AA-Abond marine ply, its actually AC marine ply. So now I am on the lookout for another supplier of either hooppine marine ply or birch ply (I know of some out there but am trying to balance the transport costs to Canberra.

But at least the journey has actually begun

Phil 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats great Phil, I hope you enjoy building your project. Remember a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I've been told by successful builders that the key to success is to try to do something on the project a couple of times a week , every week.

What engine do you plan on using, tell me if i remember right , was this aircraft first built with a model 'T' ford engine..?

best of luck with your build

JimG

Jim, It was originally designed for the Model A ford engine. Bernard Pietenpol changed the design in 66 to a lengthened fuselage with a corvair 6 cyl engine. The plans set I am using is by Jim Wills (UK) who re-validated and modified the design to satisfy the UK PFA (now LAA). Suitable for engines Corvair, A-65, O-200, Subaru EA 81 etc.

I am still undecided as to whether I'll go the Corvair (ex USA) or a Subaru EA81. I am thinking that's something that I can wrestle with after doing the wing, empennage, fuse and Landing gear etc as either will fit on the long fuse version that I am going to build.

Guest Maj Millard

A nice Pientipol Aircamper was just completed and signed out by a gentleman at Montpelier Airpark. It is powered by a Corvair..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Only annoyance so far is the supplier of 1.5mm marine ply I had found in sydney does a turn around and states that although his website states AA-Abond marine ply, its actually AC marine ply. So now I am on the lookout for another supplier of either hooppine marine ply or birch ply (I know of some out there but am trying to balance the transport costs to Canberra.

But at least the journey has actually begun

Phil 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Phil...the 1.5mm ply may be ok as AC if your using it for the rib gussets. Just glue the C side down and then you will have the A side showing.

Scotty

Jim, It was originally designed for the Model A ford engine.

Great news Phil! I love the Pietenpol! I've flown in one with the Model A engine up the front, most magnificent 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif (fitted with pressure oil system, and dual ignition)

Here's a photo of the engine - 1928 A Model Ford

198227_1310198011803_1736203604_558827_925631_n.jpg

Thats great Phil, I hope you enjoy building your project. Remember a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I've been told by successful builders that the key to success is to try to do something on the project a couple of times a week , every week.What engine do you plan on using, tell me if i remember right , was this aircraft first built with a model 'T' ford engine..?

best of luck with your build

JimG

I think the single seat "Sky Scout" used the model T motor because it made it somewhat cheaper than the Air Camper.

Interesting stuff:

Model A Model T

H.P. 40 20

Capacity 3.3Lt 2.9Lt

Couldn't find bare engine weight.

Jeez Tomo, is there anything out there you haven't flown in??? :yes:You amaze me with your enthusiasm and range of experience, keep posting the night flying stuff its a great read and your video footage is good stuff as well.

I am looking forward to the day I get to fly in a pietenpol (keep building scotty so I can hit you up for a flight) and then in my own eventually.

Thanks for all the encouraging words, now its up to me to turn my noise into action

Yay

Phil

Great news Phil! I love the Pietenpol! I've flown in one with the Model A engine up the front, most magnificent 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif (fitted with pressure oil system, and dual ignition)Here's a photo of the engine - 1928 A Model Ford

198227_1310198011803_1736203604_558827_925631_n.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations Phil - please take lots of piccies and post them here for us to drool over and give you all the encouragement and back-patting you need!!! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Peter

Congratulations Phil - please take lots of piccies and post them here for us to drool over and give you all the encouragement and back-patting you need!!! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gifPeter

Yes, I second that proposal. Lots of pictures will be required. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The best example of a build project that I have come across on this forum is Mark's Savannah XL. See thread at:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/. Mark has generously kept

us all up to date with his fantastic project. It is possible to see the interest in this project from the sheer numbers

of people who have accessed that thread: it's edging up to 25,000 views.

A couple of phots placed in the gallery. The first rib has been done (cut and dry assembled) and will be used as the master. Cutting rib struts at the moment did 96 pieces on Sunday and another 96 yesterday. Thats 192 out of 452 pieces cut. Now, just awaiting my ply to arrive, then just 1236 gussets to cut and I'll be into the glue and assembly mode. More as I progress.

• Like 1

My 1.5 mm birch ply arrived from the US today. So a long weekend of rib twig cutting and gusset cutting for me. (seeing as the Bl*#dy weather has put flying out of the question)......... Boo for no flying ...but... Yay for building! 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Phil

Well Rib 1 has been glued and gusseted and is out the jig. Only 31 more to go.

Fairly happy with how it turned out as the grin shows.

Gusset cutting tip if you are using strips and not the hole saw method: once your strips are cut, use masking tape to tape 10 strips tightly together, mark out the top one and cut them 10 at a time on the band saw or with a good sharp handsaw (use a japanese razor saw if you have one; I'll post a photo of one in the gallery later)

Phil

1823072943_rib1.jpg.5682d2c0c74ad4dd67c9defd66d60130.jpg

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Well Rib 1 has been glued and gusseted and is out the jig. Only 31 more to go.Fairly happy with how it turned out as the grin shows.

Gusset cutting tip if you are using strips and not the hole saw method: once your strips are cut, use masking tape to tape 10 strips tightly together, mark out the top one and cut them 10 at a time on the band saw or with a good sharp handsaw (use a japanese razor saw if you have one; I'll post a photo of one in the gallery later)

Phil

[ATTACH=full]16789[/ATTACH]

Nice first rib, Phil.

PS: I recognise the unmistakeable shape of a mid-1960s MGB 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif in the foreground.