The first step of a long (low and slow) journey

Just to keep Scotty on his toes (and the pietenpol building competition alive) Here's a photo of the 98% empennage completion.

All the shaping and sanding is done. Just gotta glue some 3/16" spacers on for the tail wire supports.

1801647459_23TrialFitorEmpennage.jpg.921de4fb050f4d60084fd2c9675d5d28.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You boys would get an A in woodwork class if I was the teacher. Its a pity such detailed work gets covered.

Can you get clear fabric?...wonder how an aircraft done in clear would look...very impressive I would imagine

• Agree 1

Can you get clear fabric?...wonder how an aircraft done in clear would look...very impressive I would imagine

Clear fabric???? Who is going to fly this airplane - Wonder Woman?

OME

Just to keep Scotty on his toes (and the pietenpol building competition alive) Here's a photo of the 98% empennage completion.All the shaping and sanding is done. Just gotta glue some 3/16" spacers on for the tail wire supports.

[ATTACH=full]21138[/ATTACH]

Looking great Phil!....you will be doing the fuselage next? You will need a flat bench approx 4.8m long. The fuse didnt take long at all. Lay the two sides out remembering you have a left and right. Once these are done stand them up and join them. All of a sudden you have a plane! What undercarriage are you using?

Scotty

Scotty,

I was still thinking about what to do next. Steelwork means I have to buy a new TIG machine, that may have to wait till tax time. Fuse takes up a lot of room once built, so may have to wait till the new house late this year/early next year. Wings ... mmmm, big, but can hang off the garage walls or ceiling. Both wings and fuse require the long bench which I don't have room for just yet. Ah decisions decisions. For the landing gear, I am going to use the J-3 style undercarriage with 600 x 6.00 wheels.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, direct drive so I'll install a weseman 5th bearing for additional support at the front of the crank. It'll also be using a lot of William Wynn parts. Still a few years away from that stage of the project.

I've a couple of magnetos from a Continental 0-300 six that might be of use. Nev

What are these magnetos you speak of Nev!...hehe

The Corvair uses a Dizzy with dual ignition. One set of points and an electronic module with 2 x Bosch blue coils. How would you use a magneto on an engine like this?

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

• 2 months later...

Been making progress since the last posts. Lots of cutting spruce lumber and machining. Have made the wing spars, wing tip bows and fuselage sides (as per photos below). Have decided to put in a front cockpit door to assist the passenger entry/exit.

image.jpg.8b455c9ea1f678a8ff8c0d20f18a65db.jpg

image.jpg.d7a79a1dd832f5654d3cffdbb67ac4f5.jpg

image.jpg.1bef1261edc3e305dd9459ed12408fd9.jpg

image.jpg.96a89597df3cc0f6ac5df730f94d7107.jpg

• Like 7

Nev,

A kind offer regarding the magnetos but I think I'll pass. I am trying to keep the experimental part of the build to a minimum. Hence using the certified plan set from the uk and aircraft grade material throughout. I'll just build the engine the way William wynne recommends and be happy with that. There are a lot of them flying with that configuration and getting high hours between overhaul with very good reliability.

Ta

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Jigged the fuselage up and fitted seat backs and cross members. Had some interesting fitting for the rear seat due to the additional bracing for the passenger door but got there in the end. Then Started cutting and sanding phenolic bushes for the wing strut fittings, was happy with sanding to size (was aiming for 1" +0.005) also Trimmed fuselage side plywood.

.image.jpg.32b99868e4a2c2c8eaceae42956e75e8.jpg

image.jpg.55dda743f32c3fff789544d4a1eedf2e.jpg

image.jpg.a43b2c0872fc66ece1cae205be625707.jpg

image.jpg.e8ede1c3b1826862362f7b6e12e5dadb.jpg

image.jpg.d1cb3b5dea156d53e44119cfb6c16592.jpg

image.jpg.b361d20a54fa496ed9a932e9271c29f1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1