Windsocks

I've been checking out the availability, sizes, costs etc of windsocks because we probably need one at Wirraway before we start inviting people to fly in. What do you guys do about wind direction/strength indicators?

You can pick one up on ebay, from the US for about <$60 landed here. They are bright orange and about 2.0m long but I don't know about the quality. Aeroshop has them of course for a fair bit more than off Ebay - understandable as the Aeroshop ones appear to be of better quality. I haven't tried the Clear Prop shop on this forum yet.

Anyway, what have you done, and what do you use for a frame to hold the sock?

Pud

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been checking out the availability, sizes, costs etc of windsocks because we probably need one at Wirraway before we start inviting people to fly in. What do you guys do about wind direction/strength indicators?You can pick one up on ebay, from the US for about <$60 landed here. They are bright orange and about 2.0m long but I don't know about the quality. Aeroshop has them of course for a fair bit more than off Ebay - understandable as the Aeroshop ones appear to be of better quality. I haven't tried the Clear Prop shop on this forum yet.

Anyway, what have you done, and what do you use for a frame to hold the sock?

Pud

This is an advert running in New Zealand (yes, I know that this is 5,500 km away). It should give you an idea of price (about $AUD80.00) and availability. There is also some useful info on windsock frames you may be interested in. I understand that these people export them to Oz so, if you are stuck, you could give them a ring.

windsock.jpg.c18df2d334646e209e329dcf92f81ac9.jpg

Windsock $95 inc gst

Made from Fluro Orange PVC - 400mm opening - made for small airfields - factorys - farms - heliports - hospitals any use you can think of...

Windsock only $95 inc gst

Windsock Frame (Stainless) $195 inc gst

Extension pole not included.

Stainless steel 400mm opening - tested and stengthened over the past 8 years.

95% maintenance free -only a small touch of grease required every few years.

Used by many small Microlight fields and Industry.

Full size windsocks made to CAA specs also available- any custom size made on request.

Call Barsal Aircraft covers 07 829 7520

Thanks for the info 80kts. It bears out what I have found, that there are a range of prices and quality with windsocks.

I can see I'll probably make my own frame and pole assembly.

Tomo, that gives me an idea:augie:

Pud

I`ve always made my own windsock!.... When I made the first one, almost 30 years ago!...I didn`t have a clue where to buy one and proffered to spend the money on the aircraft I was building so I made it out of the Dacron left over from the skins I`d made for the aircraft...For the hoop, I simply used some fencing wire that was strong enough.

To hold the windsock up, I used an old flagpole and to get a bit more height, I welded another 2 mts of gal pipe to the bottom of it....By tying the top and bottom of the windsock hoop to the cord that hoisted it up, the sock was free to swing around into the wind, regardless of the direction the wind was coming from.....When I needed to get it down, I simply took it down as you would a flag... This did the job and lasted many years.

The old flagpole went to flagpole heaven a long time ago so I had to make a new pole.The sock hoop is made of 3/16 steel rod similar to the one you see.

Windsockframe..jpg.ea3498ff39f3283e331ea3b5a3137250.jpg

Windsocks only last so long and I`ve had to make a few!...I make them out of the bottom side of my old wing skins, which is usually, still in pretty condition.

Frank.

Ps, I just like making things my self!...Anyone can buy something!

Another good idea farri! thanks.

I have an old fuselage sock from my T500 so I could use that. I'm no good on a sewing machine but Gay is very good, so I could get her to modify the fuselage sock for me. What are the dimensions of your windsock farri?

Here's a photo of Gay sewing up some old sheets for tail skins covers.

1118394824_CopyofP1030062.JPG.d3b94a522df9d3f5474fd8ca9a400cdd.JPG

Pud

Another good idea farri! thanks...What are the dimensions of your windsock farri? Pud

Pud, I don`t remember exactly, I`d have to go down and measure it but the dimensions are not that imortant, Just make it up to what suites you and work around the amount of material you have.

For the least amount of waste and the easiest way to make it, cut the pieces the way I`ve shown! the amount of pieces required depends on the diameter you choose! 4 or 6 pieces,then sew together.

You can make the big end stronger by sewing some extra material, say about 50 m/m wide to it or you can roll back the end so that you can run some cord through it then you just cable tie it to your frame.

I use polyester thread and do all my sewing on our household Janome sewing machine and the sewing has never failed.

Frank.

Ps, Thanks for the photo!

561060233_WSock..jpg.3ec7c4cbac48e458aa45c12b123cb272.jpg

I wonder if there are plans for a "calibrated windsock" somewhere?

It would need to include the weight as well eightyknots.

I was thinking that for a dependable indication of wind speed, the opening, length and exit opening would need to be a certain ratio. Maybe I'm getting over technical here - perhaps just do as farri says (cut the size to the cloth available) and then work it out from there.

Pud

" Calibrated Windsock " ? ......Well I suppose it depends on how good the pilot is and if that`s what you want, go for it.

I taught my students to be able to work out the wind speed and direction by various methods.

What happens when you decide to land in some other place, where there is no windsock?... What then?...Would you just keep flying, turn around and go back to your " Calibrated Windsock " ?

Though it`s good to have a windsock! if it`s flyable I can land anywhere without a windsock, regardles of wind speed and direction and I would expect others to be able to do so, as well!

Over the years I`ve done enough hours flying time to have had more engine failures than you can count, on both hands! There wasn`t a windsock to be seen anywhere for any of those landings.

I keep a wind sock mainly for others who fly in, from time to time....I`m not braging! I don`t have to prove anything to anyone! I`m just stating a fact.

Frank.

" Calibrated Windsock " ? ......Well I suppose it depends on how good the pilot is and if that`s what you want, go for it.I taught my students to be able to work out the wind speed and direction by various methods.

What happens when you decide to land in some other place, where there is no windsock?... What then?...Would you just keep flying, turn around and go back to your " Calibrated Windsock " ?

Though it`s good to have a windsock! if it`s flyable I can land anywhere without a windsock, regardles of wind speed and direction and I would expect others to be able to do so, as well!

Over the years I`ve done enough hours flying time to have had more engine failures than you can count, on both hands! There wasn`t a windsock to be seen anywhere for any of those landings.

I keep a wind sock mainly for others who fly in, from time to time....I`m not braging! I don`t have to prove anything to anyone! I`m just stating a fact.

Frank.

I take your point Frank, after all, when flying along you'd have to be asleep to not know the wind direction, and a close estimate of wind velocity!! I'm probably overthinking the issue of windsocks. My mate, who owns the farm where the hangar is situated says he doesn't need one because he is well tuned in to wind direction and speeds from a lifetime of living on the farm. I'm coming at it from the angle, if you are going to install a windsock then it may as well be the best it can be, within reason of course. I've decided we will modify the fuselage sock I have off the T500 and see how that goes. I do think, as you have alluded to, that it's a good idea to have a windsock for fly in visitors to have an indication of wind direction.

Pud

Pud, I wasn`t aiming at you but making a point for anyone.

Once anyone has obtained an RAA pilot certificate and I mean certificate because that`s the type of aircraft I and most others on this forum fly! they should know how and what to do, windsock or no windsock.

The wind indicator that anyone chooses to use is up to them! Jack Stewart ( Now deceased ) had 4 ultralight AC to fly and his method before he went flying was to hold a hanky above his head, drop it and see how far it went!... I`ve seen others just throw a hand full of dirt into the air.

I would never try and stop anyone from doing something that works best for them and if a calibrated windsock is needed, then that is what should be done.

Frank.

One point for a calibrated wind sock....If you are new to flying and wind speeds then you need to have a reference to gauge the actual wind speed (kts) for future reference when you don't have a wind sock.

It's all good Frank, chucking dust in the air is a good indication I reckon. With a windsock I look at how the tail is reacting to the wind, is it flicking, could give an indication of gusts coming through, and there frequency. If you are getting frequent gusts and the general wind speed, for the aircraft you are going to fly, is near the limit, then probably best to engage in hangar talk rather than go flying.

Pud

Nothing wrong with having a calibrated windsock but how can using a calibrated windsock to gauge actual wind speed be of any true value when there is no windsock, if all previous refrences have been made on a calibrated windsock?

Frank.

Nothing wrong with having a calibrated windsock but how can using a calibrated windsock to gauge actual wind speed be of any true value when there is no windsock, if all previous refrences have been made on a calibrated windsock?Frank.

Observation Frank, trees moving, ripples on the water, whitecaps, the wind in your face, that ballon flying by etc... reference: the calibrated wind sock is indicating 10knts you now know (or at least are learning) what 10 kts looks and feels like for when there is no wind sock 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

Observation Frank, trees moving, ripples on the water, whitecaps, the wind in your face, that ballon flying by etc... reference the calibrated wind sock is indicating 10knts you now know (or at least are learning) what 10 kts looks and feels like for when there is no wind sock 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

Windsock also good to assess xwind component for those "demonstrated" limitations.

No one has convinced me yet that a calibrated windsock is any better than any other sock for preparing for situations where there is no sock!

A calibrated sock may well give indication of cross wind component above "demonstrated" limitations, but in my opinion, is only of true value if there is a calibrated sock every where you operate from.

Frank.

How did the people you teach learn what the wind strength was? How to work that out when there was no sock?

Obviously not from a calibrated sock, but surely they had SOME REFERENCE. Perhaps it was your advice with your undies on a pole blowing in the wind...("when my undies stand out straight like that it is blowing 20 bastards") regardless, the point is: a reference is required to learn what is happening so you can pick it when you have no sock. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif

• Like 1

Whilst I recognise the merit of a windsock on public aerodromes, I am yet to replace the then $80 purchase that blew out after only two years on my farm airstrip ten years ago. Two windmills within 500 metres of the strip, water now in dams, tree movement and dust coming away from grazing sheep will tell me most of what I want to know. A windsock will only tell you of the wind conditions at that windsock. It does not always tell you what the wind is at the the threshold at the other end of the airstrip.

One of the co-owners of our C172 has just learnt to fly at Jandakot. When he started flying in the bush he struggled to make the adjustment to assessing wind conditions himself, rather than being told by either the ATIS or tower what the wind direction and strength was.

When I started flying in the early 70's there was a mixture of the older canvas and newer poly windsocks in service and that certainly created uncertainty and confusion. I learnt quickly that when the heavier canvas windsock was close to horizontal a hangar was the best place for an aircraft, yet always gained a sense of satisfaction from a crosswind landing with a poly windsock far from vertical!

• Like 1

How did the people you teach learn what the wind strength was? How to work that out when there was no sock?Obviously not from a calibrated sock, but surely they had SOME REFERENCE. Perhaps it was your advice with your undies on a pole blowing in the wind...("when my undies stand out straight like that it is blowing 20 bastards") regardless, the point is: a reference is required to learn what is happening so you can pick it when you have no sock. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif

Tex, I certainly don`t need to explain to you how I taught my students, and furthermore,where have I said that a reference isn`t required to establish the wind speed and direction!

I have said several times that there is nothing wrong with having a calibrated windsock and if one is proffered, by all means, use one.

Basically, I`ve also said that there won`t always be a windsock unless you operate from an aerodrome and for the purpose of learning to fly in and out of the places where there will be no windsock, I don`t believe that a calibrated windsock is any better than one that is not calibrated.

I`ve taken the paragraph below, from puds original post...Read it carefully.

I've been checking out the availability, sizes, costs etc of windsocks because we probably need one at Wirraway before we start inviting people to fly in. What do you guys do about wind direction/strength indicators?

Frank.

You seem to have taken some offence Frank, my sincere apologies, it was a very light hearted and jovial post (I thought that was apparent and those little guys at the end reflected that), the internet does not help as a medium in this context. I certainly wasn't asking you to explain yourself, on the contrary, I was interested in how you developed an understanding in your students for winds strengths and hence off field (no sock) landings.

I will add finally that I agree with you 100%, all pilots should be proficient in knowing what the wind is doing with no winds socks at all (I guess I have about 1000)... but gaining that proficiency?